This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And make it shiny!

I'm one of two people who deals with our website at work. The other is older than me, grumpy, and believes the world revolves around him. Plus, he is Always Right.

Last year, I stopped doing web work after he kept criticising what I was doing - excuse me for not being able to read your damn mind! So I left him to it. Then, before Christmas, my line manager suggested I do more, just for the kudos at work. So I asked my ultimate Boss (and Grump's boss) for more, and Boss gave me my own micro project.

I was absolutely shaking on the day I had the first meeting about it - I knew Grump would be utterly critical, decide what I should do and tell me my ideas were rubbish - his were so much better and I should obviously do that! One of Grump's colleagues was in the room while I was panicking, and she apparently gave Grump a complete bawling-out - he was absolutely lovely in the meeting and didn't say a word all of last year about the site. (I gave her a very large bar of chocolate when I found out).

So he didn't say a word...until this week. I've pretty much finished the first revision of the site - content's in, pages are up etc. So I sent it to Boss and Grump (who, unfortunately, I have to involve as he's the other web person).

Boss asked for a few minor changes - I agree with all of them, so absolutely no problem. Grump, on the other hand...

- Make it look more colourful
    - Can you make the design more attractive?
    - There's a lot of text. Can you do something with that?

*grumblegrumblegrumble* NO I CAN'T YOU DUMBASS!

We don't have access to the Design tool, which means any colour or design changes are going to be in the HTML - yuck, and a pain in the arse. We are also using a hacked-about CMS, which doesn't implement a lot of HTML - as in it literally strips the code when you implement it. I have no idea why, we can't change it and it is really getting on my nerves. So I literally CAN'T do fancy stuff - the code simply does not work.

Plus, when I first started working on the web stuff, Grump said to me:
    "The most important thing is that this all has to be simple. We don't want to have to have someone with a complete knowledge of HTML to be able to change the site." Which is entirely fair, we're a Library not a tech company, and they got lucky with me.

So, dear Grump: I can do simple, or I can do snazzy. Pick one!

Argh. Thanks for letting me rant And I have been documenting everything, my line manager is lovely at backing me up, but the major problem is that most people don't understand the details of what we can and can't do - and so it ends up being a head-to-head between me and Grump. BAH.
    I speak English, L33t, Sarcasm and basic Idiot.

When I have people ask me things like what you described, I run the site through this...

http://wonder-tonic.com/geocitiesizer/

and oddly they don't complain so much...

and this is how our favorite site looks...

http://wonder-tonic.com/geocitiesize...uck.com/board/

Comment

Quoth artcurmudgeon View Post
      When I have people ask me things like what you described, I run the site through this...

MY EYES!! filler
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Oh sweet jesus my corneas!
        https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Midi music, check... animated gif dancing baby, check... where's the wallpaper?

Comment

What's sad is that... geocities still works really. I mean sure the official link shows up as "Sorry, GeoCities has closed." but the sub folders still work.

I think it's why GC is still "up" kinda. They can't close down the sub-domains that paid to be upgraded to ".com" sites.

And make it shiny!
            Is it bad that I'm imagining you asking, "So... you want it 20% cooler then?" just to see if they catch the reference?

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
              Is it bad that I'm imagining you asking, "So... you want it 20% cooler then?" just to see if they catch the reference?
              I never asked to be 20% cooler...
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth artcurmudgeon View Post

Um. Wow. Lemme just go get my sunglasses...and earplugs...and a large glass of alcohol...

I may just have to try running my work site through it
                I speak English, L33t, Sarcasm and basic Idiot.

Comment

I'm so glad I made sure to turn off my speakers before I hit that site. ~_~
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

at least the one for google has a midi that's not ... not that bad actually.

I mean I wouldn't want to listen to it for hours on end but for a few minutes it's not bad, almost relaxing.

Comment

What's sad is that... geocities still works really. I mean sure the official link shows up as "Sorry, GeoCities has closed." but the sub folders still work.

I think it's why GC is still "up" kinda. They can't close down the sub-domains that paid to be upgraded to ".com" sites.
                      Fascinating. You may well be right as to why, which is just odd.

Also, if you want geocities, there's reocities.org, and a 600 gig torrent (http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/5923737/Geocities_-_The_Torrent) of stuff salvaged after the closure was announced. (warning, not clickable because link goes to the pirate bay, which may have less than worksafe ads. Also, the size is NOT an error. It's <bleepin>ing huge.)
                      Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

at least the one for google has a midi that's not ... not that bad actually.

I mean I wouldn't want to listen to it for hours on end but for a few minutes it's not bad, almost relaxing.
                        wonder if it's the same for every viewer... I get "The Freshmen" by the verve pipe.

Comment

Working...
                        X