Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This customer should not have a dog, because the stupid mutt almost bit me!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This customer should not have a dog, because the stupid mutt almost bit me!!!

Yesterday I delivered to a very big house, they probably had 3 or 4 acres of land, and they had gates at the end of their driveways. I suppose if people want to allow their dogs to run around the yard free, seeing as how their entire property is fenced off, that is totally fine with me.
    However, if you are expecting someone over, your dogs will not know them and may get suspicious of strangers. This one dog seemed friendly at first, but then as I was leaving became extremely aggressive. I mean the dog was snarling, growling, and made a move or 2 towards me as I tried my best to shoo it away. I was afraid of getting bit very much. I was literally almost ready to yell out for help, I was that scared. Yes I kept walking to my car, but the fucking dog was following me around. The people apologized, and I just stared at them when I got into my car, almost like I was saying, "I don't accept your apology because your stupid dog almost bit me". If the dog had bitten me, it would've taken every single bit of restraint in my body to prevent me from going ballistic on their asses. Btw did I mention that they just stood at the door like a bunch of idiots and never came outside to grab the dog? I was very tempted to go back and tell them that they need to control their animals, because I'm not about to get bit. And "sorry" is not going to make it up to me if I do happen to get bit.
    When I got back to the store, I asked them if there was anything we could do, like putting a note next to this customer's name, indicating they have dogs that run loose and that 1 of them is very aggressive. Or if we could call the customer and explain to them that our drivers feel threatened by the dog and that they need to keep it locked up when we deliver food to them. Their response surprised me, they said they could not do a thing.... until I actually got bit! Ok, so you're just gonna wait for a driver to get bit before you take action, rather than try and do something to prevent it?! I would think that most managers would at least say something to the customer.
    On a side note, if I do get bit, I will call the police, wait for them to come, and I will order the dog to be put down. Sorry, but if your dog is vicious towards strangers that way, you need to learn to control it, not wait til he/she bites someone and you have a lawsuit on your hands. And depending how bad he bit me, I might sue because I would be within my rights to do so since they will have failed to control their dog.
    I swear to God, I fucking hate people who have dogs who cannot control them. Its common fucking sense people.... Lock the dogs up if you have someone coming over, and if you know the dogs are very aggressive.
    Last edited by BowserKoopa1; 03-10-2014, 03:21 PM.

Hmm. I know when we used to put our dogs out on leads that could reach the mail box, one carrier used to feed them treats and get along fine with them, but she went on vacation and her coworker came one day and they barked at him once and he withheld our mail for a week because our dogs were "vicious".

We received a notice in the mail about it when our regular carrier came back explaining it. So I find it hard to believe that nothing could be done at all. You have the right to refuse any work you deem unsafe.

Comment

This reminds me of I story I heard when IdleAire was still operating; a guy was climbing up into the customer's truck to check on the unit, and hear the growl of a dog. Not a little terrier or Pomeranian. I mean medium sized dog, like a retriever or something. Dude dropped down out of the truck, and said "Sir, control your dog, or I won't help you."

Trucker said "Oh come on, he wouldn't hurt a fly!"

Coworker said "To people he knows. I am a stranger entering his territory, and he will defend it with everything he has. Control your animal, or I won't help you."

Trucker would not control his pet, and coworker walked off, and left a note for the boss, because he knew that the company would get a call about it. (We were midnight shift, and this happened before I started there.) Next day, boss saw the note, and received the call from the company within the hour. Boss explained what happened, and coworker was completely off the hook.
      The customer is not always right. Most of the time, the customer is a clueless moron. If this offends you, you are this moron.

Comment

Quoth BowserKoopa1 View Post
        Their response surprised me, they said they could not do a thing.... until I actually got bit! Ok, so you're just gonna wait for a driver to get bit before you take action, rather than try and do something to prevent it?!
        Ask Corporate (if applicable) about that one. That's just begging for a lawsuit >_> Back at DaddyJim's, we told customers that their choices were to restrain all dogs (etc) that were in their yards, or come meet us at the fence. Don't like it? Come pick it up at the store yourself. No way were they gonna expose themselves to that kind of liability.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

My brother-in-law used to do deliveries to farm yards etc where he worked. He mentioned that one time he was doing a delivery and the dog in the yard came at him and whatnot. He ended up hitting it over the head with a club or stick he had. The dog fell silent, probably dead. I don't think he mentioned it to the owner or his employer.
          Like you said, if you know you're going to get a delivery or expecting people in your yard and you have a less than friendly dog, please deal with it before it becomes an issue. If it attacks someone, you could be charged and have to pay legal fees, medical expenses and then have the dog put down. OR, your dog might just one day "lay down and die" for no good reason, next to your package.
          I don't advocate violence against anyone or any animal, but if you're threating me physically or try to carry it out, I will incapacitate you by any means necessary. So, I don't blame my brother-in-law at all. He was just doing his job and protected himself.
          I do blame the owner of the dog however. Most farm dogs I know are happy to see people and want to play and sniff your crotch and are used to chase away coyotes and other predators. So it being aggressive towards people usually tells me the owner has more to do with that than the dog.

Comment

Don't know where OP is from, but around here occupational health and safety laws explicitly state the right to refuse unsafe work. Going onto a property which is known to have a large, unrestrained, aggressive dog would constitute unsafe work - customer can either restrain their dog when the pizza is due, make the transaction over the fence, or pick up their pizza at the store.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Our two boys are the nicest pups in the word as far as I know, but a stranger coming into my yard to deliver something? Jax is locked in the back yard (where he can bark but not get near them) and Opie is in his crate (covered if need be). I do this for two reasons

1) If they do bite, they'll get put down. They are like my kids. No way I am taking that chance!
              2) Even If they are being friendly, most people who aren't us don't like being licked to death!
              Last edited by TimmyHate; 03-10-2014, 10:23 PM. Reason: i dont bark
              How ever do they manage to breathe for themselves without having to call tech support? - Argabarga

Comment

Their response surprised me, they said they could not do a thing.... until I actually got bit! Ok, so you're just gonna wait for a driver to get bit before you take action, rather than try and do something to prevent it?!
                The simple solution is to ask for management to put that in writing. And when they ask why, explain that you'd like that on record for when an employee is eventually bit by a customer's known viscous dog, so that the store is liable for medical bills and the resulting lawsuit.
                A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                  when an employee is eventually bit by a customer's known viscous dog
                  A viscous dog? That's one thick puppy.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

On a side note, if I do get bit, I will call the police, wait for them to come, and I will order the dog to be put down. Sorry, but if your dog is vicious towards strangers that way, you need to learn to control it, not wait til he/she bites someone and you have a lawsuit on your hands. And depending how bad he bit me, I might sue because I would be within my rights to do so since they will have failed to control their dog.
                    I swear to God, I fucking hate people who have dogs who cannot control them. Its common fucking sense people.... Lock the dogs up if you have someone coming over, and if you know the dogs are very aggressive.
                    While I agree with you that the owner should (MUST) control their dog, I take issue with insisting the dog be put down. As another poster alluded to, it's probably not the dog's fault that they are aggressive. Animals are not people, they react to situations - defending their territory is a big one (and to be fair, that's probably what this dog has been trained to do). To insist on a loss of life because you (or someone else) got bit - doesn't seem fair to me.

Should there be a warning placed on that customers' file? YES Should the customer be told there will be no further deliveries until their dog is controlled? YES Should that dog be KILLED on your say so? NO!!!

Most, if not all, jurisdictions in the United States have a "one bite rule". (And this is probably why your manager responded the way they did - it's the law) This means that a dog is not "put down" the first time they bite someone. Granted, there are exceptions to this rule - such as, that one bite kills someone or causes major damage. However, to me, it's the same as being allowed that ONE mistake in your job. Your first mistake? You're not fired (unless it's an especially heinous one). I believe animals should be allowed the same courtesy. After all, their responses to human interaction are for the most part learned, whether through training or bad experiences.

<steps off soapbox>
                    Last edited by EricKei; 03-11-2014, 04:56 PM. Reason: excessive quoting

Comment

Sadly here in NZ its a case by case. One recently that sickened me was a local mayoral candidate was doorknocking, entered a secured yard and was bit by a 9 month old puppy - enough to draw blood but only needing a bandaid.

Poor dog got put down. I'm sorry but someone comes into our yard uninvited and gets bit its their own damn fault.

(Hope this isn't considered Fratching_
                      How ever do they manage to breathe for themselves without having to call tech support? - Argabarga

Comment

With a yard the size the OP mentioned, there's no reason the customer can't have a fenced path to the front door.

Our yard, for instance, has a high fence separating the back yard from the neighbours, and a lower fence around the front yard. Our dog has the run of the house and the back yard.

When answering the door, we restrain the dog until we know who it is. Friends, family, and certain regular business contacts who Vi thinks of as 'extended pack', she's allowed down again and she greets them with her usual enthusiasm.
                        Strangers, she remains restrained until the stranger is ok with her being let loose. Even if that means one of us goes into the back yard and keeps her company until the business transaction is concluded.

I think of this as simple courtesy, not just to the stranger doing business at our house, but to Vi! She needs to KNOW that her pack leaders (her humans) have all transactions with Outsiders Who Are NOT PACK!! under control. That lets her feel secure.

Short form: I agree that it's not fair to either dog or not-pack stranger to leave it up to the dog to defend Pack Territory.
                        Even with police dogs and the like, the dog is not to attack until the human gives the order, and it's the human who handles the situation once the suspect is restrained. (and hopefully peeing his pants. )
                        Seshat's self-help guide:
                        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

When I have someone at the door (pizza guy must not feel threatened, otherwise no pizza!) I restrain the dog and check who it is, I have a glass front door. If it's someone that I need to open the door for, I will put the dog in a seperate room or outside. Otherwise I just shake my head and make shooing motions with my hand.

She's a nice dog, but still an animal and I wouldn't trust her not to jump or nip someone to defend the house or me. It's on the home owner / dog owner to control their pet.

As far as intruders go, the dog has free rein to bite. You break into my house, you take the risk with the pooch.
                          It's not the years in you life that count, it's the life in your years! - Quote from the office coffee cup.

Comment

Some dogs are just mean. I had friend who I was visiting for the first time, and her little dog made a beeline for me and nipped me straight away. Not enough to draw blood but it hurt. She was very shocked and claimed he had never done that before. If your company refuses to do anything, I suggest you take some mace to spray a vicious dog, or wear a heavy coat and steel toe boots, they are fiercely territorial and you probably look like a giant chew toy to them. Be careful!
                            Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                            The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

Just an official mod reminder: please let's keep this focused on the SCish behavior. Any debating on whether or not to restrain pets under certain circumstances is better suited over on Fratching.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread . . .
                              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                              X