This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She's got a ticket to ride, but she don't care

At the cutting counter, we have a take-a-ticket system. Over the cutting counter is a humongus sign with giant orange-handled scissors, under which are three large screens in a triangle formation, showing volleyball-sized numbers visible to the furthest reaches of the store. On the corner of the cutting counter is the ticket dispenser. Every so often we make an announcement over the speaker system (speakers all throughout the store) about taking tickets for the cutting counter, saying you don't have to stand in line but can continue shopping until we call your number. And every few minutes, someone at the counter is calling the next number up. This is easily heard even from the furthest point in the store.

I clock in, go to the cutting counter, call the next number (29). Nobody shows up. I wait a few minutes, call 29 again. Nobody continues to show up. I wait a little longer, presume that 29 left, called 30. Coworkers call a few more numbers, and we're at 35 now.

Guess who shows up? 29, here in all her glory! "But I thought I could still shop even though you called my number!" Um, no. You go to the counter when your number is called, not twenty minutes later! Same with the DMV or any other place that uses a take-a-number system. You snooze, you lose.

Later, I was cutting one woman's fabric when another one came to the cutting counter. She struck up a conversation with my customer, bitching about the take-a-number system (that passive-aggressive type where she complains to another person but not to the employee). I ignore her and concentrate on my customer's order. Finished with my customer, called the next number, Madame Passive-Aggressive throws down her fabric and flounces out of the store in a huff. Lady, if you wanted service, you have to take a number! You whined about it, you know that's the way we do things here, did you think we were just going to serve you without a number?! And yes, I thought she had taken a number. I don't know if she did and didn't want to wait any longer, or was too stupid and stubborn to follow the rules. Well, too bad for her, now she gets no fabric!

We've had so many people waiting at the cutting counter, then saying, "Oh, are we supposed to take a number?" Um, YES! What do you think those announcements on the overhead are referring to, winning lottery numbers?!
    "But I didn't know I was supposed to take a number!"
    You're standing right next to the freaking ticket dispenser! As the cliché goes, if it were a snake, it would've bit you!
    "Since when did you start this?"
    Since we opened this store in November 2012, well over a year ago!
    "But I'm the customer!"
    Really, you're the customer?! Wowie zowie, by an absolutely amazing coincidence, all these other people are customers too! And they all want service, too! And if they all demanded service at the same time, it'd be complete and utter chaos! We had problems with line jumpers and arguements over who was first at the old store, that's why we're doing the take-a-ticket, so there'll be no confusion over who's next (or at least, who had enough sense to take a ticket!). So yeah, quit yer bellyachin', take a ticket and wait your turn already!
    Last edited by XCashier; 03-14-2014, 03:06 AM.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Before she gets to sayin' good bye, she oughta think twice, she oughta do right, by me~
    Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

One way ticket, yeah?

It took her so long to find out, and she found out.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

My guess is Madame Passive-Aggressive thought that if you heard her complaining that you would wait on her next to appease her.

Comment

Quoth siskaren View Post
          My guess is Madame Passive-Aggressive thought that if you heard her complaining that you would wait on her next to appease her.
          Most likely. But I won't play that game. So on her.
          My LiveJournal

Comment

Complainers will be dismissed in the order they are received
            - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

All of our representatives are busy ignoring other customers. Please hold and someone will hang up on you as soon as they are available.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Complaints department ... take a number.
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

yep

Comment

Oh that reminds me of something that happened right after Christmas.

I was shopping in XCashier's store (Not her exact one ) And I was finished picking out fabric, I went to the cutting tables and took a number. The nice lady cutting fabric asked me what number I have and she switched the number and took me next.

She's in the middle of cutting my fabric when a couple of other ladies show up. They look around, complain about the wait, blame me for the wait, and then one of them walk off. Meanwhile another lady walks up with a single bolt, takes a number and the other worker starts cutting her fabric.

Other complaining lady walks back up, and the two of them stand behind me, still grumbling under their breath about the wait. Another lady walks up, takes a number and gets her fabric cut. Then they realize that they need to take a number. Other fabric cutter goes on break, so these two delightful ladies keep complaining behind my back about how I didn't follow the rules and cut in front of them and I didn't take a number, etc.

I thought about showing them my numbered ticket, but thought better of it.
                    https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
                      I thought about showing them my numbered ticket, but thought better of it.
                      I would've definitely shown them the ticket.

Comment

Quoth siskaren View Post
                        I would've definitely shown them the ticket.
                        SCs: "She didn't even take a ticket!"
                        Kanalah: "Oh, you mean like this one?" (shows ticket)
                        SCs: (CBF in stereo ensues)
                        Kanalah:

Really, I don't know what the big deal is. Take-a-ticket systems have been around for decades; it's hardly a new or difficult concept. I guess some people gotta make drama where they can.
                        Last edited by XCashier; 03-14-2014, 08:58 PM.
                        My LiveJournal

Comment

Well, they were very angry and the nice fabric lady was finished cutting my fabric. I didn't really want to get beaten to death with bolts of burlap.

It's always the ladies buying burlap who are grumpy as all get out. Maybe they're sewing their own undergarments.
                          https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
                            Well, they were very angry and the nice fabric lady was finished cutting my fabric. I didn't really want to get beaten to death with bolts of burlap.

It's always the ladies buying burlap who are grumpy as all get out. Maybe they're sewing their own undergarments.
                            It's a good thing I wasn't drinking anything, else I'd've broken Rule #1!
                            Yeah, that nasty, itchy, smelly burlap's amazingly popular, heaven knows why, but I've grumped about that before. And Madame Passive-Aggressive was buying a nice soft stretch knit...or at least that's what she brought to the counter to try to get cut without going through the agony of pulling a small numbered piece of paper out of a dispenser.
                            My LiveJournal

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                              All of our representatives are busy ignoring other customers. Please hold and someone will hang up on you as soon as they are available.
                              Laughing SO hard right now....

I can haz for sig? Pretty please....??
                              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X