Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know about computers, so I broke yours?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know about computers, so I broke yours?

Two of my side jobs are petsitting and computer repair. Generally kept separate, although some of my pet clients will ask me to look at something with a computer if I'm over for a multi-day stay anyway. One or two of them will even insist that I use their computers if I need to (I'm always very careful with other people's machines, what I use can be run from a flash drive and I make sure said flash drive is squeaky-clean); if I'm there anyway and have their okay, I will run the usual scans and make sure everything's kosher. If someone tells me not to use their computer, I won't.

One petsitting client is paranoid about a lot of things, and I stay far away from her computer. She has some tech from a cliquey 'professional networking' group of hers that she pays $100/hour (he's taking her to the cleaners). I wouldn't want to work for her on a regular basis anyway. This is a case of liking the animal far, FAR more than the owner. So I finish up a job with the pooch and am thanked profusely.

Two days later*, I get a call from her "what did you do to my computer? The screen is a swirl and I can't get anything up!"

I know that she has Windows 7, same as we do. I also know that my desktop updated itself that week, so hers likely did too. If she had a password set, the computer would have rebooted and asked for the password again. I told her that this is probably what happened, keeping it simple and saying nothing that could lead her to believe I used her computer (I did need to bring my tablet into the office to pick up the wireless signal when it flaked out once, but I did not touch anything--I did not tell her this as I knew it couldn't have affected anything).

She explodes "That's why I gave you my wireless password! How dare you use my computer when I told you not to? You have violated my trust! scream yell rave"

At that point I was glad she hung up on me before I said anything else. I knew that any attempt at defending myself would be construed as guilt. Of what, I don't know.

I cashed the petsitting check before she changed her mind (doubtful, but one never knows with her) and am not sure I want anything else to do with her. I haven't gotten any other calls blaming me for anything, so I have a feeling she either forgot her password or never set one in the first place. All she had to say was "did you use my computer at all?", but she decided to start off by accusing me.

* If something had really happened to it, I would have expected a call later on the day I left her place, not 48 hours on.
    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 03-26-2014, 01:45 PM.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

The screen is a swirl? Sounds like a video issue... could be video card, monitor, etc.

Either way, best thing to do is not deal with them. If they're going to accuse you of something you didn't do then just stay away.

I'm in one of those business networking groups, though, and although some of them (that rhyme with Le Snip) seem kind of shady, I've had great success in ours. Great way to generate new business.

Comment

I would refuse to serve her anymore. God forbid her animal get into something a after you're gone and gets sick or worse yet dies.... You'd likely be up for some legal harassment over that

Comment

Her networking group is strange...she once invited my mom to join, they only hire each other and the 'clients' are very demanding (think 'I want this and this and this and you better not charge me for this/give me a discount because we're friends').

I'm not sure what was up with the screen; it's possible that it could have been some sort of screensaver (she did tell me that the 'swirly' screen had a legible clock widget on it), but I didn't want to give her any openings to yell at me.

Comment

I don't know why but pictured huge "eyes wide shut" parties...but over webcam instead of in person. I need to go home lol

Comment

Mothers and Dads

I have been a computer addict from the age of 16 (I am 57 now), pre-high school I played with a Logix Computer it may be a toy but it taught basic logic, in high school I took the Fortran program course and programmed the Moore Calculator in machine code, then designed and built a nano controller for my train set. College was three years of computer programming and system analyst, then with no computer job and working on the line in GM I bought one of the first Pet-2001 computers created a S-100 bus adapter and added a memory board from a CPM machine to my home computer. At the same time a friend and I built a robot controlled by a KIM-1 motherboard. Went on to be a programmer at DROL systems on a MAI mini-computer. Then a computer tech for four years at Level Two Computers, then 20 years a computer tech at Conpute Computers.

Why did I post that long list.

Guess who my Mom got her advice from vs who she blamed when things did not work.

Guess who my Dad would not listen to when he asked who made the best computers but did not like my answer.

Guess who did not listen when I told my Mom not to store pictures in the trash.

My Mom: no training in computers.
            My Dad: no training in computers.

But both were more than willing to follow the advice of their friends than mine.

PS:
            When they found out I could repair the appearance of old scanned pictures they tried to offer my services for free to relatives (because it was SOO EEEAAAASSSSSYYYYYY!)

I refused, but offered to train them to do the same. Interestingly they quickly got bored having to do all that careful selection and fill or processing that I did so easyily.

PSS:
            I am semi-retired now. I am not rich enough to completely retire but I have enough assets that I can say NO to anyone who tries to push me too far.
            Last edited by earl colby pottinger; 03-26-2014, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
              if I'm there anyway and have their okay, I will run the usual scans and make sure everything's kosher.
              So you'd delete anything related to HAM radio?

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
              Guess who did not listen when I told my Mom not to store pictures in the trash.
              WTF? Would she store her physical photos in the wastebasket? Why should the computer be any different?
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I've found that telling those that ask a lot of support questions and then hint at you helping them out, is that you don't work for free and neither do I. If you want to trade out then I'm willing to talk otherwise you can schedule an appointment with my office just I would do with yours.
                Just this past week the plumber tried this with me. He gave me vague problem descriptions and I told him vague fixes. I was paying him to solve my problems not solve his. I think my family has finally learned that when they start talking computers I won't engage and pretty much ignore them because once you fix one problem you own that computer for life.
                Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Oh, very much so.
                  I've been a PC/Server install & support geek since 1989 - I very rarely do ANYTHING over the phone - simply because you can't charge them when you help them that way. Unless it is literally a "two-minute fix", I'm likely to tell them I need to do a call on-site to sort out their problems (believe me, there's always more than one).
                  I tell them the rate if they ask beforehand, otherwise they find out as I get there.
                  (I'll tell you if you PM me.)
                  They've 2 options - either they're happy with it & I proceed, or they baulk at the cost & I'm out of there, no"bargaining", no arguing the toss - pay up or poke off.
                  The only time this is different is when they have a skill I need - plumbing, decorating etc. I'm rubbish at those.
                  ProTip - Never, never give anything more than 2 mins tops on the phone & don't do anything for family - they'll never leave you alone.

Comment

I will do stuff over the phone/email for two people: my father and stepfather. Father because I know his technomancer level is at least equal to mine so I don't need to do much more than tell him "do XYZ"; and stepfather because I installed his system and know exactly what he has and what pitfalls he might run into (he's not a tech person).

Comment

Working...
                    X