This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• we're hiding the internet!

i didn't actually witness this one firsthand... it was relayed to me from my coworker. as i've mentioned before, i work in RV parks... usually a well known franchise with workers dressed in bright yellow... and the one i'm at for the winter had their internet hotspot system wrecked a few months ago by a lightning strike. corporate has FINALLY ok-ed a whole new system, but several months have now gone by with spotty wifi access at best, zilch to nil at worst... and this of course generates annoyed guests on a semi regular basis.

people also frequently have their own personal wifi hotspots... mifi, jetpack, etc... and this leads to the short story ahead... apparently a "gentleman" came into the office angry because he saw the various personal hotspots and was convinced that the staff was "hiding the internet from him" i'm not sure if they managed to convince him otherwise or not, but sometimes i weep for humanity.

People are dumb. I work in a women's clothing store. Had a customer bring her laptop in the other day, so she could "shop" while in the store, since some items we only carry online. And was kind of surprised to find she couldn't get on! Welll, no, there's no WIFI. I'm not sure what she was thinking; my store is so backwards, there is ony intracompany email, one account per store, and the only access we have to the Internet is on the registers, to our OWN site. and you can't order, just view things.

Comment

WIFI not present

I have been doing computers for over 40 years.

That means I know how to use them, including how to save or print web pages which is almost a super-power now-a-days.

Anyway when I travel I often don't know when WIFI will be available or will cost an arm and a leg to access so I save dozens (sometimes hundreds of web pages) of sites to read whenever I have free time or get bored.

I have lost track of the number of times people see me using the browser on my laptops and ask how I got WIFI when they can't find any, but about 10% refuse to believe me when I tell them I am viewing a saved page.

It seems if they don't know how to do it then no-one can do it.

This does include one old man who insisted his son-the-genius said it was impossible so I must be lying.

Comment

I have lost track of the number of times people see me using the browser on my laptops and ask how I got WIFI when they can't find any, but about 10% refuse to believe me when I tell them I am viewing a saved page.
        I would just tell them I carry an extra internet with me at all times.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
          I am viewing a saved page.
          Apple calls those the Reading List.

Comment

Working...
          X