This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF Are You Serious?

I'm putting this here in Unsupportable because... well, she was kind of dumb, but not sucky, and it deals with computers, so.

Last night, literally five minutes from the end of my shift, I get a call from Miss Luser. She was having a problem with a system at The Client that I'll call Application X. AppX is used for when a Client staffer has to do [something], to clear said [something] with the brass before doing it. For each instance of doing [something], a separate form must be submitted through AppX. What [something] is can vary as well, and depending on what [something] is, AppX will even provide the requisite fields for it. It's a Web-based app, on The Client's intranet. It has its own little Client-wiki setup, and its own support team... who, of course, had already left for the day.

Miss Luser starts off by ramble-babbling at me, your basic "life story of the problem" spiel, without actually giving me any indication of what the issue is. I finally manage to get a word in edgewise, and ask her what the problem is. AppX is giving her "a bunch of errors."

I, of course, ask what the errors say. ML sighs a bit, says there's a lot of them, could I just remote in so I can help her with this. Inside, I'm already having a bad feeling about this, but I agree, get her information so I can remote-access her computer and take a look.

The errors? All of them were basic "you have not filled in required field <X>." Basically, all of the fields hadn't been filled in.

So I explain this to her, and she seems to understand, but she has a bunch of other questions about AppX. And here's the thing-- ITSD doesn't really support AppX. But, given AppX Support is gone for the day, I'm stuck having to answer her questions to the best of my ability, while frequently reminding her that I'm not that familiar with AppX and to not take my answers as the gospel.

One of her questions was about the fact that she'd started a few AppX form drafts, which AppX Support had previously told her would auto-delete after a week or so if she didn't complete them. Which she hadn't. But the drafts were still there. Why are the drafts still there? I had to explain I wasn't sure, until I looked at the drafts... and saw that she'd accessed them at some point before she called me, which 'updated' them, and thus extended that time-out period. She didn't need the drafts anymore, though, so I helped her delete them.

Another question she had was what the difference between [A] and [B] was with regards to [something] in AppX. Again, this was a question I really didn't have an answer for, and alas, the AppX Wiki page didn't have an answer either. I told her as much, and made an educated guess-- which, again, I emphasized was just my assumption and could be inaccurate-- about the difference.

Third question she had was could she have AppX save some of her data for the various fields, so she didn't have to fill those fields in on subsequent forms. Because, you see, ML had multiple forms to submit for multiple instances of [something], and wanted to save herself some time. Alas for her, no, AppX is not set up to do that, especially since, given what [something] was for ML, each instance would be unique.

In the midst of "answering" all these questions, ML admitted that she doesn't usually come into The Client this late, but she needed to submit these forms, and she "didn't want anyone else reading them" while she was doing it.

...and then she asked me to stay remoted in so I could help her fill out the forms.

Except all of the questions she had while she was starting to fill out the form were questions I literally could not answer-- because they all had to do with her particular instance of [something], which I had no information about.

I'm literally silently screaming in frustration on my end, because this idiot called in mere minutes before I was going to go home, asking me questions I either can't answer or don't have the answers for, unable to grasp the basic concept of a "required field" (which are even highlighted and marked with a nice *), insisting on getting help I can't provide, and she's come in late just to do this, after the people who actually can help her have gone home!

I finally manage to disengage when she seems to "get it." She hangs up, and I quickly log out and start banging my head into the desk.

You people are supposed to be intelligent. Fucking hell!
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

In other words, she called for support when the people who KNEW the application, and therefore were qualified to handle PEBCAK and one-D-ten-T errors, weren't in?
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
      In other words, she called for support when the people who KNEW the application, and therefore were qualified to handle PEBCAK and one-D-ten-T errors, weren't in?
      Exactly.

I wanted to shake this woman so hard, tell her "No one gives a shit that you did [something], just do it during regular hours!"
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
        I have to wonder if the late-late show was because the experts would realize she was sliding a no-no through, and the show of ignorance was camouflage.
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
          I have to wonder if the late-late show was because the experts would realize she was sliding a no-no through, and the show of ignorance was camouflage.
          That would be giving this woman waaaaay too much credit.

Comment

Update of sorts!

I spoke with my overnight colleague, who takes over for me when I go home in the evenings.

Yeah, five minutes after I walked out the door, she called back. She still needed help. CW ended up remoting in to assist her as well, and ended up having to fill out the forms in AppX for her... only she didn't have all of the information she needed to complete them, so he ended up having to explain to her "Okay, here's how you save this as a draft. Once you have that information, here's how you open up your draft and save it, and here's how to file the form once it's complete."

CW admitted it was infuriating having to deal with her too.

Comment

I think it's time you tell her (and her supervisor) that she needs to clear her calendar as the next two weeks will require her to be retrained.

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
                I think it's time you tell her (and her supervisor) that she needs to clear her calendar as the next two weeks will require her to be retrained.
                I'm not sure this will work. Can you schedule a lobotomy that fast?

In the midst of "answering" all these questions, ML admitted that she doesn't usually come into The Client this late, but she needed to submit these forms, and she "didn't want anyone else reading them" while she was doing it.
                why does that matter? do these things make her look bad for doing or not doing [something]?

or is she just to have made mistakes?

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                  why does that matter? do these things make her look bad for doing or not doing [something]?

or is she just to have made mistakes?
                  I think it was part to have to do [something]. I can't really go into more details without violating both CS.com policy on workplace obfuscation and the terms of my contract.

Comment

ah... the "eek i screwed up" embarrassment.

no worries about exact details. i'll just imagine that she's at one of my old jobs

Comment

Hay Jay, does this require an alcoholic reboot of your own programming? Because if it does then we might have an issue. X3
                      My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                      It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
                        Hay Jay, does this require an alcoholic reboot of your own programming? Because if it does then we might have an issue. X3
                        Nah, I have my own program for these sorts of situations...

Code:
                        IF j2k.RageValue > 0 AND j2k.csAccess = TRUE THEN

EXECUTE(j2k.VentPost)

ENDIF

IF j2k.RageValue > 0 AND j2k.csAccess = TRUE AND j2k.VentPostResult = TRUE THEN

EXECUTE(j2k.ViolentVideoGame)

ENDIF

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_prsgZnPMQg

This is pretty much my view of all (l)users.

B
                          "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
                          I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Working...
                          X