Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sightings

Gee, thanks, bank ...
Old 09-01-2018, 04:22 AM
Area Manager

Default Gee, thanks, bank ...

I am trying to get another deferral for my student loan payments, and I will admit I've been procrastinating. So I went to my bank and asked them to block the automatic withdrawals while this was still underway. I paid the fee for a couple of months and went back home.

So today ... I find out the payment has gone through.

The weird thing is that they cannot do a 'block' according to the name of the creditor, but only by the amount of the payment So if this payment is even $1 different from the last one (although it shouldn't be) ... it would've been allowed through.

I was going to rush to the bank tomorrow and find out what happened, but I think I will just run a few errands tomorrow, enjoy the weekend, and wait until next week to hit the bank. The money isn't coming back (at least it will get the student loan people off my back for a month), but if something in the bank's system did screw up, at least I will demand a refund for the fee I paid.

I recently pulled more money from some of my inheritance. Without this withdrawal, it would've gotten me through the next month until my new job starts in October (assuming nothing goes wrong with THAT job). Now I'll have to pull more.

Oh well. There is at least one more estate payout coming (who knows when) and at least ATM I've got the money.

Old 09-01-2018, 12:53 PM
Long live Gaz

Is the bank saying this about the difference in charges? Cuz that sounds absurd >__<

In any case, see if the company (e.g. Nelnet) that services your loan has income-dependent plans or other things that can get you a temp deferment, on top of whatever else you're trying to work out now. Could beworth a shot.
"I don’t know what English did to you or your family, but I cannot in good conscience sit here and watch you do this to it. You sir, are a monster." ~ Gravekeeper

"Don't weep for the stupid; you'll be crying all day!" - Fr. Anderson, Hellsing Ultimate: Abridged
"I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain it to you any further." – anon

Last edited by EricKei; 09-06-2018 at 02:32 AM.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:25 AM
Philosophical Tomato

Wouldn't a creditor changing a payment amount then violate the agreement (you agreed to pay X and they decide to change it to Y to get around a block). That's not right, either by the lender or the bank.

Most loan servicers should have income-based plans. I recently had to recertify mine...and am sending in new paperwork again tomorrow because they think I'm making more money than I actually am

Last edited by Dreamstalker; 09-06-2018 at 02:30 AM.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:34 AM
Long live Gaz

I recently had to do yearly certification on mine. Nothing changed, they just wanted a form saying soo. Oddly, for the first time...well, ever, IIRC, they wanted my actual written signature on the form (instead of just letting me file online and using an e-sig, which it seems designed to do). Took weeks for them to TELL me this, though.
"I don’t know what English did to you or your family, but I cannot in good conscience sit here and watch you do this to it. You sir, are a monster." ~ Gravekeeper

"Don't weep for the stupid; you'll be crying all day!" - Fr. Anderson, Hellsing Ultimate: Abridged
"I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain it to you any further." – anon