This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to build a computer? Don't go to The Verge

So many of you have probably heard about The Verge's "attempt" to build a PC. For those that haven't here is just one reaction video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jciJ39djxC4

Please, for the love of God, do NOT use The Verge's "guide" to build a rig. Unlike most parody how-to videos that screw up every step ans end with a pristine result, the one from "The Verge is not a parody but just as bad of an effort. Suffice to say, if you follow the "guide", the only thing you will end up with is several hundred dollars of dead equipment.

(And no, I'm not linking the original, I do not want to give this one coverage. It is just THAT awful.)
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

..... That makes my head hurt. Anyone that has built a computer in the last 20 years knows how wrong that is.

I like how the Verge disabled comments and voting after they saw how bad they were getting blasted.
    Last edited by Arcus; 09-18-2018, 01:12 AM.

Comment

The "short circuit" thing cracked me up!

Also, I was talking to a guy here at work, and he told me that if I were going to build (or re-build) a computer, I should start with the processor, and pick components (motherboard, RAM, etc) based upon that.

And I am considering re-building my Linux computer. The processor is a little slow, and it doesn't support a lot of RAM. It could use an upgrade.
      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I briefly taught some computer repair (albeit 20 years ago), and that dude wouldn't qualify as a raw rookie. Before we got into computer assembly, we went over assembly procedures, and that included making sure you were grounded, and a very basic understanding of electricity.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
          Also, I was talking to a guy here at work, and he told me that if I were going to build (or re-build) a computer, I should start with the processor, and pick components (motherboard, RAM, etc) based upon that.
          Pretty much. Ideally your priority order should be:

Processor
          Motherboard
          RAM
          Video
          Other components (Optical Drive, media bay, etc)
          Power

Mainly because the higher items set your requirements for the lower ones.
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
          X