X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top "slang" term in each state...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...Bnb7Kz#image=1

Never heard most of them. If you're in the States, is the one for your state true?
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Accurate for Louisiana

see also:

Make groceries --Go grocery shopping

Where y'at? -- How are you? (as in, Where are you [at] in life?)

MY-nez -- Mayonnaise

Dressed -- [a po-boy sandwich with] mynez, lettuce, tomato, and sometimes pickles

Coke -- Any carbonated beverage, regardless of brand

Ovah (over) by ya Mama 'n'em -- At your parents'/family's home
    Last edited by EricKei; 08-23-2018, 07:58 PM.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

After a quick whip-through, I'd say less than a dozen of those are actually slang that's probably unique to the state, and some of those are just dismissive terms for tourists. Rather more are local names for places in the state and even more are slang words, but not remotely unique to the state. Including words like "no-see-um" and "yonder" as "local slang" is just ridiculous.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
        Accurate for Louisiana
        I was gonna ask you how many people in Louisiana (especially Cajuns) talk like Justin Wilson...because I don't know how much of that he's "putting on" vs is "authentic"...
        Last edited by EricKei; 08-23-2018, 07:59 PM. Reason: snip
        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Mouse makes a good point ^_^

As for Wilson (R.I.P) -- I always loved watching his show. It's six of one and a half a dozen of the other with him. He was indeed born in Cajun Country (Roseland, LA on the north shore of the lake -- aka, within the "Florida Parishes"), and he traveled them extensively, so he really did grow up in that culture. He was the real deal, though he intentionally exaggerated his accent ("I guar-on-TEE!") and made up silly stories, as he incorporated his humor into his cooking shows. The food itself, to the best of my recollection, is straight up legit Cajun, however, and he published a number of cookbooks.

His accent is borrowed from bits and pieces of real Cajun dialect speech, but even my river pilot relatives who literally grew up in those swamps don't talk quite like that. Some of them are even harder to understand >_< Some of them have a more moderate accent. The chef in this video (dude in the red apron) is a bit closer to what I'm used to (turn down the volume!)
          Last edited by EricKei; 08-23-2018, 08:10 PM.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

13. Illinois: “LSD”
            Nope, not what you’re thinking. This is Illinois shorthand for a stretch of road—Lake Shore Drive, to be precise.
            Technically Chicagoland....and it was coined by the real estate industry here back when the ads were per word or letter.
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

After reading all of them, I know and have heard used around here 22 of them... But I've never heard the one they list for my state used with the definition they have for it. Everyone I know from around here use Biffed to mean "Crash or fall down. Most often when done in an odd or spectacular way"

Comment

I've heard of plenty of those words. A number of them are old fashioned terms that have been around for decades, if not longer - like "yonder."

As for my state, I don't think "dead-ass" is limited to NY.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I'm forty years old, lived in Maryland all my life, and have never heard the word "Bop" used in a sense of "Further than a hop, skip, and a jump."

Comment

Similarly, I've lived in Massholechewitts all my life, and I've never used, or heard someone use, the phrase "It's brick" to describe an extremely cold day. I figured they would've gone with "bubbler" or "wicked pissah", which would seem to be a bit more 'exclusive' to the commonwealth, though the latter's more of a stereotype.
                    Goofy music!
                    Old tech junk!

Comment

Washington: “Pre-Funk”
                      You might call it the pre-game, or pre-party, but Washingtonians shorten “pre-function” to “pre-funk” to refer to the drinking that occurs before attending another gathering.
                      Never heard that phrase, and I live in a super hipster city. I don't even know what would be a local phrase. We have a lot of ways to describe rain I guess? Misting, sprinkling, drizzling, etc. Notice that most are descriptions of light rain, since we don't get heavy downpours that much. Also, anyone would know those terms, even if they weren't used to hearing them.

Maybe "do the Puyallup" referring to going to the state fair located in said town. Or "12th man" and just kill me because the dreaded season has started. Maybe "the Gorge" referring to the amphitheater.
                      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Sorry, no has time to click through at least 50 slides to find out what Wisconsin's is.

Also the person who thought up the idea of slide shows for things like that needs to DIAF.

ETA: okay I did it anyway. Who the fuck came up with this shit? I've lived in Wisconsin all my life and have yet to hear anybody say the word "ope."
                        Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 08-25-2018, 07:26 PM.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Slideshow? It just let me click on the states themselves o_O

Comment

They want the ad money from each click.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                              I've heard of plenty of those words. A number of them are old fashioned terms that have been around for decades, if not longer - like "yonder."
                              I agree.

Quoth EricKei View Post

Dressed -- [a po-boy sandwich with] mynez, lettuce, tomato, and sometimes pickles

Coke -- Any carbonated beverage, regardless of brand
                              Maybe just southern things. My momma's from FL and she doesn't call everything Coke but she can attest that they do that. When we were having hamburgers she always called us to come "dress our buns" and that always got a giggle from me.

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                              I've lived in Wisconsin all my life and have yet to hear anybody say the word "ope."
                              I've been here 16 years and I haven't either. Isn't that a Greek celebratory exclamation? I hate the slideshows, too.
                              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                              X