This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freedom from Quality!

I just wanted to share that I'm off inbound billing calls for the foreseeable future. It's not a promotion unless you consider it to be sort of a lateral one.
    Management is trying to get corporate to make this a permanent thing so maybe there is hope if I do well. I'm struggling right now because I haven't done collections in like 20 years. But all I was doing then was calling people.

This time I'm doing account management first. I research to find out of they really owe or if there is something causing undue billing that needs to be fixed. (Maybe there was a contract switch and one didn't get ended properly.) The goal is to get payment where we can and get invalid contracts off the books. I will be manually terminating them rather than sending them to someone else. I also have to make the decision whether to send a business to third party and once that happens it's permanent. dundundun That means if I have to spend hours on one account, so be it. I will be doing the AR stuff myself, things like crediting invoices, manually closing contracts, editing invoices if they need that in order to pay, etc.

What I really like is that I don't have people asking what I'm doing all day. I still have to log out for breaks just so they know I'm taking them, but I don't have to record anywhere that I'm stepping away from my desk. I can pee whenever I want. I may receive incoming calls on my own line but they aren't recorded. So instead of time on calls and what I say I'll be judged on my processes.

I feel like I have a grown-up job. I'm still looking for other work because I cannot go back to what I was doing before. Also, one of the team leads over here goofs off all the time. They pulled her from her team to pull in money and she's always laughing and socializing. I had to put myself in a time out the other day before I said something rude. I won't be in trouble for walking away. I was irritated because the amount we have to resolve is just under 8 figures. Whether I stay or not, this is more for my resumé.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

To be honest this sounds like a perfect fit for you. Unless you see an absolute dream job it might be worth seeing how this new role works out.
    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Congrats. I think this is a definite promotion, you've gained greater freedom along with enhanced ability, and yes some extra responsibility. Point is, it'll definitely look like one on your resume! I wouldn't worry about the goof-off.
      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

One of the nice things about this is that you'll be documented as busy and doing things. Call logs and computer activity will show you've been doing things. The fun part is that by doing your job, you'll have things to show. And since you take your work seriously, there will be items cleared, one way or another, from the stack.
        As to the goof... some socializing with the team can help keep things flowing, but it sounds like that one could be hurting overall progress. Well, since the powers that be grade on the process, that one will likely depart sooner or later.

Comment

Now that I've got some official training it has sunk in that I really do have autonomy on these. I can seek direction but what was holding me back the first few days was not knowing what to do next or not knowing what decisions I was allowed to make. Apparently all of them or close to. For instance, I have one where Company B bought Company A and both had contracts with us. The old one never got cancelled or taken over. I have to let them know that someone from either company is responsible legally for that old contact and try to collect on it. The sales rep is telling our larger collection dept. to knock off the efforts so I have to deal with her, too. But now I know the rules for how to collect and I know the process if no one pays, and that I make the decision myself to charge off to a third party. I didn't know that before 2 days ago. I feel more confident in how to proceed. I also now have voicemail.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

The title of this thread - "Freedom from Quality" could accurately describe the mission statement of several companies I have worked for over the years...

Congrats on the job upgrade!

B
            "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
            I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Conga Rats on having shifted to, as you say, "a grown-up job." Kudos to your manager for having your back, too. I hope it works out well!
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
              X