This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laura checkin

Everyone staying safe? X I've acquired lots of new friends in Texas..so its fingers crossed that everyone keeps safe when Laura lands(and Marco maybe too)although that does seem to be diminishing..which is good.Two hurricanes in a week is just excessive.
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Marco fizzled, but it looks like Laura is trying to make up for it. Might make CAT 4 before landfall. There are Hurricane warnings out for Arkansas.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I think the forecast calls for it to be quite persistent -- possibly lasting long enough to curve toward the NE once it makes landfall and potentially bring heavy rains as far North as the Memphis area. Anyone on the coast, please take care; it looks like this one will be no joke! O_O
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I MIGHT get a bit of it, I'm further east but hope everyone in the path is okay.
        Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

We're supposed to get the remains of it over the weekend.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Last I heard: Cat 4, very close to Cat 5.

News down there literally saying that towns near the coast (Sabine Pass, Lake Charles in particular) should be prepared for the possibility that their towns' infrastructure will simply fail. I.e., the town may not be there when/if you return.

As of this morning, the storm surge was already several feet higher than Katrina's -- which, ironically, will have its 15-year anniversary this Friday o_O

Last I heard (NE MS), we should expect tornadoes. Speaking of which, one hit Baton Rouge, LA around midday-ish today.

UPDATE/EDIT:

Formal landfall is expected more or less overnight or early AM.

Forecast says to expect storm surge at least 30 miles inland. Said storm surge is being described as -- and I quote -- 'Unsurvivable.'

Well, fuck.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Reportedly, a bit of the Mississippi River decided to flow backward already (I'm typing at 8pm Pacific, 8/26).
              "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Unsurprising, and horrible. Same basic issue as Katrina. Far more city flooding caused by the water literally being forced up the river delta than anything else. In the wetlands in particular, Big K decimated the trees in the southern half of the state (partially due to winds/flooding, partially due to poisoning caused by the oil storage vats it smashed open like eggs). As in, the original definition of "reduce to 10% of their original amount." o_O I hope this one doesn't do the same, tho I suspect it will -- trees and their root systems are vital to preventing the land there from simply washing away.

UPDATE through about noonish:

- Storm made landfall as a Cat 4 at around 1AM Central time (GMT-5 or 6, IIRC -- I hate daylight savings time)

- Storm surge was 10+ feet, still above flood stage, but about half of what was expected. Extensive flooding

- Massive damage caused by wind. 400K without power. One reported fatality so far

- Chemical fire at a chlorine plant in Lake Charles; stay-at-home order mandated to cut down on the looky-loos, along with orders telling people to shut all windows and turn off A/C systems to avoid drawing the toxic gases in

Comment

Its -6 for Central
                  The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I think it may vary for DST? Dunno

Anyhoo. Now the big sugar refinery East of NOLA (wtf?) is on fire. Now it's starting to get serious. If a glitter factory blows up, New Orleans may really be in trouble >_>

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      Said storm surge is being described as -- and I quote -- 'Unsurvivable.'

Well, fuck.
                      I am told that a "friend of a friend" finally evacuated Lake Charles after being told to use a Sharpie and write their name and social security number on their arm.
                      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                      Save the Ales!
                      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I'm glad they were able to get out safely! ^_^

Comment

Lake Charles is decimated. It's been flattened. And the 1000s of evacuees are being crammed into hotels in New Orleans with NO government help whatsoever. The supplies they do have are from grassroots efforts by citizens collecting donations and buying stuff, then delivering them directly. Cars that were full get emptied in minutes. No organizations are helping, no FEMA or anything. It's criminal.
                          https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                          Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Not unexpected, but really sad. Cajun Navy helping out because the Feds...well, let's just say "Second verse, same as the first" and leave it at that.

Any word on Sabine Pass? I suspect it might not even be there anymore >_>

Comment

Working...
                            X