This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The computer gods hate me. *cry*

No sooner has my gmail problem been resolved (I've been able to access it now without that stupid "security certificate error" message popping up in my face) than something ELSE is screwing with me!!

Last night I was online doing my usual stuff when suddenly my computer completely shuts itself off. I mean like *rightnow* - bam. I about had a heart attack, unplugged it, waited a minute, plugged it back in and started it up to see if it would work.

It boots itself up like it normally does, but before I can open up anything to let my friend who I was chatting with know that I didn't just suddenly decide to ditch her, bam - it happens again, completely shutting itself off without even giving me its 'closing down' message like it always does when I normally shut it down. We had no power outages and no power surges that I was aware of that could account for this (although I will admit that since I don't know what a surge looks like, I can't say that wasn't the culprit).

I curse some more, unplug it, wait a while longer, plug it back in and start it up again. This time it works as it should, and I can pop back online to a) tell my friend I'm calling it a night due to these troubles, and b) run my antivirus scan as it does every night.

Today I called the repair place that I took the computer to when I had the spyware mess back in June. From the sounds of things - and this was my suspicion as well - the power supply may be starting to fail. This worries me because I don't know when it's going to do this again, and I don't know if when it blows it will just kill itself, or if it will harm any of my data (which I pray not; I'm working on backing up stuff to the best of my capability but I don't think I have enough storage space on my flashes for everything...).

Someone out there kind enough to pat my back and tell me it's going to be all right? *goes to cry in a corner and wonder what gods she pissed off and how*
    ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

It's either the power supply or a thermal safety shut-off. Either way your data's at low-risk as long as you don't use it much until it's looked at. The big issue would be files getting irreperably fragmented during a write operation and it turns off.

The thing that makes me think it's a heat issue is the fact that it turned on after being off for a longer time.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I'll give a second possibility that happened to me: My CPU fan was totally plugged up, resulting in the CPU overheating. When it reached a certain point, the computer turned itself off without warning.

Check the CPU fan, blow it out with some compressed air. Might solve the whole problem for you.

Comment

Dude, you just totally bogarted my theory, and rephrased it!

Comment

I actually didn't see your reply until after I hit post. Sorry about that. I opened the thread, went back to some dev work, came back, replied, and posted, and finally saw your post.

Damn stupid inability to work in five windows simultaneously.

Comment

Pfft. A likely story, mister.

Actually, if anyone could work in 5 windows at once, I bet it would be you.

Comment

Right now, it's only... wait, it might be 5. two for IM. One for here. Two different dev windows.

Then again, I'm only writing documentation, so it's not as bad as if it were actual code. It is documentation for actual code, and it's going in the source files, but it's still only docs. Tiring, though. Glad I've only got another 5 pieces to write.

Oh, and the IM is only being glanced at long enough to see if somebody replied, so it's more like 3 windows.

Comment

Working...
              X