Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know there are some tech-headed people here... hoping someone can help me out

Hokay, I've been building my first scratch-built PC, and all was well. Windows was installed, I was getting the OS how I like it, yadda yadda, when I had the bright idea of checking out the bundled software Foxconn include with their motherboard, one of which happens to be a "liveupdate" program...

I bet you can see where this is going...

So I ran the update to see what was new, and lo and behold, there's an update for the BIOS. Now not knowing the problems I was about to cause myself, I happily clicked the button to update and watched it roll. Thing said something about creating a backup bios, or bios restore, I'm not sure, and then halfway through installing the update, the monitor went blank. Waited for a while, nothing else happened. Now being slightly worried by this point, I powered down and rebooted my machine. It turns on, there's nothing. No picture at all.

Now with the little technical knowledge I do posses, I have tried resetting the CMOS jumpers, which has availed me none. I don't know what to do next other than take it for repair.

For completeness sake, and because I'm sure someone will ask, there are no beeps when I turn the computer on. Not even a POST beep. My flatmate has the same board though, and there is no POST beep out of his machine either, so I guess that's normal? Or we just don't have a speaker set up somewhere, I don't know. Please help if you can. Cheers.
    ONI HEUIR NI FEDIR

Moving this to Tech Help.
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

you may have interupted it durring the update, if so, pop the cmos battery out and leave it for a couple of min, and try booting from the cd, there may be a recovery tool on it. if that doesnt work, it may be shot and may need to have the bios reloaded by a factory tech. cant say more without knowing the board. i know that foxconn does have a pretty good faq section, you may check there too.
      This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
      my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

Thanks SteeleDragon. Just realised this morning when attempting to boot again (for no reason other than non-existent hope) that there IS a POST beep, (at least I think that's what it is) it's just incredibly quiet and was drowned out by the fans when I had the side case panel on. I'll give the battery/CD boot a try, then check out the Foxconn site when I get back from work today.
        ONI HEUIR NI FEDIR

Comment

Ok, popping the battery gets me nada, also tried with another battery still nothing. As for CD boot, I can't get anything out of it... I can't see anything at all through my monitor at the moment, I've got precisely 0 visual output. Also I can't make much sense of the Foxconn site, got the feeling English wasn't the first language of whoever wrote that FAQ, but from what I DID get it seems to still require video to do anything helpful. So I'm stumped. Think I might have to take it in for repair after all, though if anyone has any suggestions I won't be taking it in until Wednesday
          ONI HEUIR NI FEDIR

Comment

Quoth fish3k1 View Post
            Ok, popping the battery gets me nada, also tried with another battery still nothing. As for CD boot, I can't get anything out of it... I can't see anything at all through my monitor at the moment, I've got precisely 0 visual output. Also I can't make much sense of the Foxconn site, got the feeling English wasn't the first language of whoever wrote that FAQ, but from what I DID get it seems to still require video to do anything helpful. So I'm stumped. Think I might have to take it in for repair after all, though if anyone has any suggestions I won't be taking it in until Wednesday
            now is your monitor pluged into the onboard video or into a vid card, had a similar issue with my brothers pc where he reloaded the bios and in the process killed his agp slot. if its in the onboard, im not sure i can help... if its in a vid card, try pluging into the onboard, we may get something there. if not then im out of ideas. perhaps pederson or one of the others may have another idea.

Comment

Onboard I'm afraid. Thanks for the suggestion though
              ONI HEUIR NI FEDIR

Comment

ok, what kind of board is it, i have a last ditch idea, cant guarranty it will work, but its worth a try.

Comment

When you popped the cmos battery, did you also unplug the tower? If the AC power is not unplugged, the cmos will still retain its settings because the machine will draw AC power for it.
                  Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth SteeleDragon78 View Post
                    ok, what kind of board is it, i have a last ditch idea, cant guarranty it will work, but its worth a try.
                    It's a Foxconn a6vmx. Whatever it is, I'll be glad to hear it

Quoth otakuneko View Post
                    When you popped the cmos battery, did you also unplug the tower? If the AC power is not unplugged, the cmos will still retain its settings because the machine will draw AC power for it.
                    Yeah, was disconnected totally from power at the time.
                    ONI HEUIR NI FEDIR

Comment

Quoth fish3k1 View Post
                      It's a Foxconn a6vmx. Whatever it is, I'll be glad to hear it
                      ok, here it is, with a floppy drive (usb or built in) download this file, unzip it to a floppy and boot your pc with said floppy, it should reload the bios. no guarantees, but its free. next step would be to have a tech reload or rma the board. though they may deny an rma since you borked it and its not a factory defect. let me know if it works

Comment

Hm, could be tricky, I don't have a floppy drive to hand, would it work from CD-ROM? How would I to get the machine to boot from CD without being able to see what I'm doing? I understand it can be done, I'm just ignorant of the procedure.
                        ONI HEUIR NI FEDIR

Comment

If you can't see what you're doing, you'd have to know the BIOS inside and out to be able to go in and change the boot priority. If you got a photo guide of the BIOS, that might work, but it'd be risky if even one thing was out of order.
                          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

i found a cheap usb floppy at bb, i got it to try to load xp on my laptop. it works just like a standard floppy, but like i said, last ditch effort

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                              If you can't see what you're doing, you'd have to know the BIOS inside and out to be able to go in and change the boot priority. If you got a photo guide of the BIOS, that might work, but it'd be risky if even one thing was out of order.
                              Well, thankfully on that note I do have both the manual AND a flatmate using the same mobo at home, so that might not be so far beyond reason. Thinking I could boot both machines in sync and mirror what I'm doing on his machine on mine.

Going to hold off on that for the time being anyway, I've also had a suggestion to try using a PCI graphics card, and I can get hold of one this weekend. Might be that I'll be able to see what I'm doing that way. Cheers for all the help so far, and I'll let you guys know how it goes next week
                              ONI HEUIR NI FEDIR

Comment

Working...
                              X