This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rude Starbucks Woman

I like to browse around the City of London and watch commuters on their way to work and the hustle and bustle - is that weird?

I was in Starbucks recently and a very well dressed lady was really rude to the barista, ignored her greeting and just said "grande skinny cappucino" and threw her money on the counter and walked away.

I later watched as she held the door open for a guy in a suit and smiled at him. So because he's in a suit she presumed he was "important" like her and deserving of her politeness?

I'm sad to say I have heard much worse at the Green Mermaid. Once a guy asked for a small and the barista was totally nice and didn't say "do you mean a tall?" She just took the order. When the other barista (completely different person!) put it on the counter she made the mistake of saying "tall." He freaked about how stupid the naming scheme is and threw the drink against the wall and stormed out.

In high school our DECA group was in another state competing at nationals. A girl in my group berated a barista over whether something had the right amount of caramel in it. We must have been 16 years old, and she was an entitled little twit even then.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

My former coworker's motto when working in food was "Put on apron, lose dignity." It's true!
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I witnessed a similar thing when I was shopping at Aldi. The woman a few customers in front of me treated the cashier like he was nothing but shit on the bottom of her shoe. He was so pleasant and cheerful but she just threw the money at him, said in a mocking tone, "I've given you a twenty!" as if he was so dumb that he didn't know the denomination, didn't say please and thank you and then gave him a filthy look when he said bye to her. She was smartly dressed and looked like there was a nasty smell under her nose. So what. you think you're so special and important that you think you can treat a cashier like shit just because they work at Aldi?

Comment

You remember that scene in Animaniacs when Dr. Scratchandsniff orders a small popcorn, only to find out that the smallest size is called a large? Hilarious at the time, but even moreso when that's pretty much what Starbucks does. Still, no matter how much you hate the naming scheme, don't be a dick about it!
          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
            When the other barista (completely different person!) put it on the counter she made the mistake of saying "tall." He freaked about how stupid the naming scheme is...
            Well, I think the naming convention is stupid, too. But I never overreact and throw a drink against a wall.

I like the Green Tea there. I never understand (nor do I care much about) the sizes. So I always just tell the cashier "I'd like the largest sweet green tea you have, please."

Tall is kind of silly when it means "small".
            Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post
              So what. you think you're so special and important that you think you can treat a cashier like shit just because they work at Aldi?
              Yes, some people do.
              Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I don't go there often enough to remember what, other than a small is a tall, the sizes are called. I just order a medium, and be done with it. If they correct me, whatever. if not, fine too. As long as I get my beverage, which is usually just coffee, I''m fine.

now, if i go and they happen to be out of the yummy chocolate brownies, well.....hahahahaha. Better for my waistline anyway!

I've never understood being rude to anyone helping me, whether retail, food, etc. I worked in retail for almost 10 years, but even before, i was still polite. In fact, last weekend at the outlets, where shall we say, certain groups of people are not always polite, i was making a purchase, and picked the item up. Cashier, upon hearing me greet her politely, and not shoving items in her face saying "how much how much how much" said "let me go get you a new one from the back!

Comment

Quoth Air_Stewardess View Post
                  I like to browse around the City of London and watch commuters on their way to work and the hustle and bustle - is that weird?

I was in Starbucks recently and a very well dressed lady was really rude to the barista, ignored her greeting and just said "grande skinny cappucino" and threw her money on the counter and walked away.

I later watched as she held the door open for a guy in a suit and smiled at him. So because he's in a suit she presumed he was "important" like her and deserving of her politeness?

i assume you dont people watch often at the green mermaid.
                  i have yet to have a shift where this didnt happen.
                  out of the hundreds i serve, every shift is filled with more then 80% simply telling me their order and nothing more, no matter what kind of greeting i give or whatever else i say. i chalk it up to the people being on autopilot and lack of caffeine since i work the early 5am shifts.

ive had to deal with some VERY RUDE people... but luckily it's not a constant thing...
                  today, however, i do feel like i had to deal with some rude af people, more than usual. one man was trying to get my attention by clicking his tongue and making that "ch"/"psst" sound you do to squirrels or animals. i flat out ignored him because fuck you, im not an animal, im a human being and until you use words, i'm not paying any attention to you.
                  he was very adamant in that there wasn't enough coffee in his cup... ugh, rude ass that i've had to deal with over the same issue. he's just trying to get more without paying for it.

in regards to the size thing, though... a cw told me that when green mermaid first opened, the company only had two sizes;

short - 8oz
                  tall - 12oz

as the company grew and america got fatter, america demanded a bigger size

grande - 16oz

consumers said "moar!"

hot venti - 20z
                  cold/iced venti - 26oz

conzumers, again, said "MOAR"

trenta - 30oz, available only for iced teas, iced coffees, and refreshers

Comment

I love my Starbucks Barista's. I go to two on a regular basis, one near my house, one near my work and I love them both. I tell them what I want, they make it and we chit chat about various things if they aren't busy. I've learned about their children, their dreams and what they want to do in the long run. I don't understand why some people feel the need to be mean to others.

Comment

Quoth Evannah View Post
                      So what. you think you're so special and important that you think you can treat a cashier like shit just because they work at Aldi?
                      Around here the cashiers at Aldi make $16-18/hr, which is pretty darn good money. I know people with college degrees who don't make that much. I lubs Aldi. They have this tropical mango juice that I'm pretty much addicted to.

I'm not a coffee drinker, so I don't go to the green mermaid very much. I do love their peppermint hot chocolate and pumpkin loaves so I'll get that from time to time. I can only drink the small/tall/whatever before it gets too cold though.
                      I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth iPanda View Post
                        i have yet to have a shift where this didnt happen.
                        out of the hundreds i serve, every shift is filled with more then 80% simply telling me their order and nothing more, no matter what kind of greeting i give or whatever else i say. i chalk it up to the people being on autopilot and lack of caffeine since i work the early 5am shifts.
                        Sometimes early in the morning if I go through the drive through I swear I must be a zombie. The last time when I got to the window the barista said "do you want a sleeve?" But I heard "do you want a sleep?" And I just stared for a few seconds until I saw that he was holding a sleeve up right in front of me. Yeah, I'm asleep all right...
                        Quoth iPanda View Post
                        in regards to the size thing, though... a cw told me that when green mermaid first opened, the company only had two sizes;

short - 8oz
                        tall - 12oz
                        I know Starbucks led the way with naming schemes, but I'm so used to it now. And I've never heard a barista "correct" anyone, though I guess some might. I would rather everything just be by ounces, though. There is a local place (super overrated IMO) which has their own names... I think it's trees. Like, sequoia, cedar, etc. I can't wait until I move and have a bigger kitchen because I'm getting a hand me down espresso machine! *dances* I know how to use it, and I know where to get the giant boxes of chocolate, and syrups for cheap. I just have one drink per day, and the mugs I use hold 10 ounces. I did this for three years and loved it!
                        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

@MJR me too! Except I like UNsweet green tea. Usually when I stop I am running errands and going to be thirsty so I just say the biggest one. I wantz LOTZ!

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                            My former coworker's motto when working in food was "Put on apron, lose dignity." It's true!
                            Not just for food service.

With me it's "Put on polo shirt, nametag and button, lose dignity."
                            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                              He freaked about how stupid the naming scheme is and threw the drink against the wall and stormed out.
                              It is a stupid naming scheme, but that's no reason to act like a childish boor. It's certainly not the baristas' fault; they didn't choose the names.
                              Quoth Evannah View Post
                              The woman a few customers in front of me treated the cashier like he was nothing but shit on the bottom of her shoe....She was smartly dressed and looked like there was a nasty smell under her nose. So what. you think you're so special and important that you think you can treat a cashier like shit just because they work at Aldi?
                              Yes, they do. Any retail worker, really, is considered to be subhuman scum by some people. That attitude is sickening.
                              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                              My LiveJournal
                              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                              X