This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trespassing woman tries to "bust" Hubby's CWs

So one of Hubby's firm's clients is lately having to deal with protesters sneaking onto their property to protest Thing-they-don't-like (obfuscated to try and avoid Fratching), and thus Hubby and his CWs have been removing said protesters and citing them for trespassing before directing them to more non-private property where they are allowed to legally demonstrate peacefully. The other night, Hubby removed 15 of said protesters from said private property, give them written warnings, and point them in the direction of the public land they could protest on.

One of the protesters however managed to chain herself to a boat anchor on a vessel owned by Company-doing-the-thing-they-don't-like (and was later joined by another protester). Hubby and a few CWs were at the guard shack talking about the situation (which at that point the Coast Guard and local PD were dealing with) and were coming up with their own solutions to the problem. Specifically they were speculating whether it would be more effective for the boat owners to drop the anchor chain completely or slowly bring it up link by link until there was nothing left to hang on to.

Suddenly, a woman jumped out from around the corner.

Woman: "BUSTED! YOU'RE BUSTED! HOW DARE YOU SAY THOSE THINGS ABOUT MY DAUGHTER! I RECORDED IT ALL AND YOU'RE BUSTED!"

The woman promptly ran off before they could say anything, which was to her benefit since they would have cited her for trespassing if not gotten her fully arrested.

Yeah right, you sure "busted" them. Let's see who your recording implicates more:

Crazy Woman, who was trespassing on private property (most likely trying to sneak by to reach her daughter) and recording a private conversation w/o consent of the parties involved (illegal in this state), or
    Hubby's CWs, who were saying mean things about your annoying daughter behind her back but were not saying anything actually illegal.

It would be so interesting if that crazy woman tried to file a complaint with Hubby's company using that recording. It would be fun to watch them turn around and file charges against her for recording without consent and trespassing. Oh, it would be so fun. I doubt the woman would, but if she did it would be a fantastic spectacle...
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

I heard about this on the news, but I had no idea they were actually CHAINING THEMSELVES TO THE BOAT!

I disagree with what the company is doing as much as the next guy, but for feck's sake, what if the boat sank!?

Morons.

Comment

I doubt the mom really cares about being legal, so it wouldn't surprise me if she posted it. Plus, did the mom think no one would contemplate how to get her daughter off the anchor, even jokingly? Your hubby isn't a part of the thing they are protesting, it's not cool to mess with anyone who's somewhat near. I saw these people at the parade yesterday and they did get everyone riled up. Riled up people make me uncomfortable regardless of the reason.
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

There's a reason that 'inciting a riot' is a crime in many, many jurisdictions.

Crowd psychology is such a separate thing from the psychology of individuals (even 'a lot of individuals together') that it has its own branch of psychology; and its own terminology/jargon.

Apparently at the very bottom, we humans are herd animals, and we can be induced to stampede....
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I think I found the story. I'm more upset that that woman is endangering the lives of the people who have to monitor her and the situation by her actions.
          "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
            I think I found the story. I'm more upset that that woman is endangering the lives of the people who have to monitor her and the situation by her actions.
            The protester came down on her own eventually. After assessing the situation they figured the boat wasn't moving anytime soon and they'd already ID'd her so they just left her hanging there saying they weren't going to waste their resources getting her down and she had to get cold and tired eventually. Her partner only lasted one night but the gal hung on a little longer; she started to come down with her friend but when she realized it was not the local boys in blue but the feds at the Coast Guard waiting for her she decided to cling on just a bit longer. A cold and rainy night finally did her in.
            Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Sounds like a good time for harpoon practice! I kid, I kid. I hate it when people use the term 'Busted!' in any regard. It's so childish and petty.

Comment

I do not believe Saint Martin Luther King JR would have done any of these type of things. His "Civil Disobedience" was more preaching about the wrongs in powerful sermon. Sure, there were the "Freedom Riders" but they rented the bus and were riding it together, they did not break the law by trespassing.

Short, "Civil Disobedience" only really works when you are respectful and not breaking (a just) law.
                I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

I really think easy access to recording/filming hardware has meant a lot of people now think they "gotcha!", as further easy access to places to post said recording/filming means they have a very bloated ego, and very little understanding of what the LAW actually says in a given situation.

The number of times I've been filmed doing something totally legal and told "I GOT YOU!" or some permutation of is really starting to aggravate.

Funny how none of those "Smoking guns" were ever enough to warrant any actual organized law/regulatory response.........

ANd furthermore, without fratching, I think some people misunderstand the concept of civil disobedience. CD means you're willing to subject yourself to punishment of a law you judge unjust to bring attention to it's unjustness.

too many people seem to think it's a clever "get out of jail" card to play. In essence: "I'm not breaking a law, I"m protesting, so you can't do anything about it!!!"
                  - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
                    I do not believe Saint Martin Luther King JR would have done any of these type of things. His "Civil Disobedience" was more preaching about the wrongs in powerful sermon. Sure, there were the "Freedom Riders" but they rented the bus and were riding it together, they did not break the law by trespassing.

Short, "Civil Disobedience" only really works when you are respectful and not breaking (a just) law.
                    King was instrumental in organizing the Montgomery Bus Boycott, and he was arrested on several occasions for organizing "unlawful" protests (because he didn't have a permit he would never get).

The A&T Four took seats at a Woolworth's Counter in Greensboro NC in open defiance of the Jim Crow laws, the essence of civil disobedience.

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                    ANd furthermore, without fratching, I think some people misunderstand the concept of civil disobedience. CD means you're willing to subject yourself to punishment of a law you judge unjust to bring attention to it's unjustness.
                    This. So this. The creator of civil disobedience, Henry David Thoreau, explicitly says as much, and went to jail himself for refusing to pay a poll tax during the Mexican War.

Most protestors who get arrested understand this, and quite frankly I think the girl in this case did even if her mother didn't.

I would call this protest civil disobedience, though this particular tactic has never been particularly effective in environmental movements.
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Personally, while I don't think what the girl was doing was particularly legal, I think the feds being there was a bit overkill, and kind of a waste of money. The local police SURELY would have been sufficient, right? I mean, these aren't terrorists, they're teenagers.

Comment

Working...
                      X