This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bits and pieces

1) I'm ringing out one customer, with two others coming up. I notice the customer behind my current one putting a pineapple and a large container of strawberries ... on the gum-and-candy shelves that lead up to the register, having apparently changed her mind about buying them.

FFS, lady!

I managed to tell her politely to just bring them up to me and I'd put them in the buggy where the "returns" go, so they could be put back.

2) Customer disputes the price of something and goes off in a huff when it turns out they read the signs wrong … had one of those the other day. She came up with some frozen shrimp and argued the price. I got a supervisor over to discuss the matter with her. Supervisor asked if customer would step aside so I could continue to ring out those behind her while supervisor went to do the price check. Customer was huffy, mumbling something about “This is all I came for” and some variant of “Unacceptable” …
    I don’t know exactly what transpired but next thing I know customer was gone and I had NOT rung her up with the frozen shrimp that were actually on sale.

3) Family comes through my till. Young daughter (8? 9? Somewhere in that range, would be my guess) wants to help pack the stuff and is also fascinated by the foot pedal that moves the belt, thus bringing groceries to the end of the packing area so nobody has to do a boarding-house reach.

I'm still ringing stuff out but suddenly I hear Dad say something to the effect of "You're in my way; you're blocking me; move, move!" and Mom is saying "Move over, move over!" and then suddenly Dad appears to grab the kid by both arms and physically move her behind him. My impression -- and this could be inaccurate as I didn't actually see it -- was that he literally picked her up off the floor and then set her down again behind him.

When I saw her again a few minutes later she looked hurt and humiliated. All I could think of was "Hang onto that, sweetie, and remember it when he gets old and doesn't move fast enough."

Asshole.

4) And finally, one of the great Questions of the Ages: WHAT BLOODY IDIOT DECIDED THAT SHRINK-WRAPPING CUCUMBERS WAS A GOOD IDEA?!?
    Last edited by Pixelated; 08-02-2019, 04:37 AM.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Quoth Pixelated
    And finally, one of the great Questions of the Ages: WHAT BLOODY IDIOT DECIDED THAT SHRINK-WRAPPING CUCUMBERS WAS A GOOD IDEA?!?
    Yes it's damn annoying..the plastic doesn't half chafe the skin doesn't it?😈
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
      Yes it's damn annoying..the plastic doesn't half chafe the skin doesn't it?😈

I swear on my cats and my books that that never crossed my mind ...
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
        1) I'm ringing out one customer, with two others coming up. I notice the customer behind my current one putting a pineapple and a large container of strawberries ... on the gum-and-candy shelves that lead up to the register, having apparently changed her mind about buying them.

FFS, lady!

I managed to tell her politely to just bring them up to me and I'd put them in the buggy where the "returns" go, so they could be put back.
        I hate this shit with a passion. Nothing makes me madder than finding a refrigerated or frozen item tucked in amongst the magazines, or on some random shelf. All-time worst example in my store was finding a leaking gallon of milk placed on a shelf in the breakfast cereal aisle. At least a half-dozen boxed were soaked and ruined.

Comment

Was the pineapple shrink wrapped too? ����
          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

... WHAT BLOODY IDIOT DECIDED THAT SHRINK-WRAPPING CUCUMBERS WAS A GOOD IDEA?!?
            The idiot that saw all the skrutoob videos of people in the stores abusing the produce.
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I had the unfortunate bad luck to find a formerly frozen salmon now thawed hiding amongst the candy, about 1.5 meters from the closest cashier. When I picked it up I had the even worse bad luck discovering that it was leaking.
              Thankfully I got the attention of a staff that took care of the mess and offered me some wipes to clean myself before cleaning up the mess.
              Since that day I never pick up miss placed food, instead I take a picture on my phone and show it to staff on the floor or if they are hiding from my sight ( don’t they have anything to do other then work? 🙂 ) I show the picture to the cashier that hopefully tells someone else.
              I don’t understand why people try and play hide and seek out the smelly food with the staff, it’s not like it’s a warehouse sized store and there are coolers and freezers close to the tills. Guess I should be happy as long as nobody gets the idea of putting a can of surströmming somewhere warm and out of sight.

Comment

And a shrink-wrapped cucumber has a longer shelf life then a non wrapped cucumber. Less waste=more money at the cost of more plastic in our garbage

Comment

1)

4) And finally, one of the great Questions of the Ages: WHAT BLOODY IDIOT DECIDED THAT SHRINK-WRAPPING CUCUMBERS WAS A GOOD IDEA?!?
                  I, in a moment of extreme frustration, tried a letter opener on the damned thing. One of the little rectangular plastic ones with a pointy bit to weasel into the flap, and a small blade at the inside base of the pointy part to cut the fold of the paper. It made a few inroads into the cucumber (English hothouse kind), but it worked like a charm on the flipping plastic!

Comment

Our deli department carries packages of bulk bacon that are about 5-6 pounds and are priced by weight, at about $5 per pound.

At least once a day I have to explain to a customer that the package does not cost $5.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                      Was the pineapple shrink wrapped too? ����
                      It should be bubble wrapped.
                      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I recently found a bottle of fairly expensive (compared to other grocery stores) maple syrup on its side and leaking in the cookie section. Someone had decided to open it and take a whiff (or taste, I don't put that past some of our "customers" now) and jammed the cap back on cockeyed. It's a threaded cap, people, not rocket surgery.

The syrup went in the trash (guess who got stuck cleaning the shelves with paper towels?), most of the syrupy cookie bags were damaged out and shared among us warehouse grunts.
                        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                          I hate this shit with a passion. Nothing makes me madder than finding a refrigerated or frozen item tucked in amongst the magazines, or on some random shelf. All-time worst example in my store was finding a leaking gallon of milk placed on a shelf in the breakfast cereal aisle. At least a half-dozen boxed were soaked and ruined.
                          The worst I ever witnessed was 3 lbs of salmon someone had shoved behind the bags of pet food. By the time the source of the smell was found, it had been several days and the leakage caused several hundred pounds of pet food to be damaged out because it was on a not quite level shelf of 20 - 50 lb bags.

There was suspicion it was malicious, but given the way customers hide the stuff on which they've changed their minds, I figure it's a coin toss.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                            It should be bubble wrapped.
                            And then the burning question.... leafy end first or last?

Comment

Working...
                            X