This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seriously, Go Around

The city of Durham, NC, has replaced the “Overheight when Flashing” sign with a fancy new system that involves an LED blank out sign. They installed it in May 2016.

The new system involves a laser height sensor about a block away from the bridge.
    If the sensor is tripped, the stop light in front of the bridge will immediately turn red and the "OVERHEIGHT MUST TURN" sign lights up.

As of September 12, 2016, they have had two accidents involving the bridge and overheight vehicles.

Brand new sign, same old idiots.

Here is the link to my original thread with this bridge.
    This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Didn't need that top row of chickens anyhow, no way!
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Yup. Good ol' 11 foot 8 ^_^
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
        Didn't need that top row of chickens anyhow, no way!
        Did the gearshift knob come off in your hand?

One thing I've seen in New York state are signs showing clearance SIGNIFICANTLY LESS than what's actually there. One route I take a lot had a sign saying the clearance was 12'8" (within the past year replaced with one saying 14'2" actual). My first time seeing that I almost had to change my shorts - slam on the brakes, then see a truck coming the other way blow through with no problem.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
          One thing I've seen in New York state are signs showing clearance SIGNIFICANTLY LESS than what's actually there. One route I take a lot had a sign saying the clearance was 12'8" (within the past year replaced with one saying 14'2" actual). My first time seeing that I almost had to change my shorts - slam on the brakes, then see a truck coming the other way blow through with no problem.
          Oh gods yes! Sort of glad I'm not the only truck driver to freak out over a clearance posted at 12'8" in New York. I was in NYC once, morning rush, and here are these low clearance signs for the lane I'm in! And being morning rush, of course no one would let me over. I didn't have another truck in front of me to show me it was actually tall enough so I crept past the 'low' spot. No doubt I annoyed quite a few people, but oh well. I'm sure they got over it.
          You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

The sign should say something more like "STOP THERE YOU IDIOT!"
            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Although this happened before the new signage, I thought this was too good not to share.

A truck driver turns the wrong way on Gregson. When he realizes his mistake, he turns around and goes the right way, only to hit the bridge.

That is a double dip of dumb.

Comment

Well, better that the signs show the clearance as lower than it truly is, than vice versa, I suppose
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

"When the bridge is hungry, it will eat."

I like that.
                  Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                  OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                  she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                  Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                    The sign should say something more like "STOP THERE YOU IDIOT!"
                    There you go again. You're holding unrealistic expectations that people actually read signs.

Comment

They haven't read the sign, and they blew the traffic light at the intersection before the bridge. Colour me surprised when they get wrecked.
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

My Dad the Engineer on good ol 11' 8'' - "WHy don't they just put up a sign?"

Me on dear ol Dad - "You don't get out of the office much, do you?"

People ignoring signs is the only thing in life guaranteeing me a job. I"ve been steadily employed for 7 years now. NOT a coincidence.
                        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Another Bridge Causes Mayhem

It looks like the Westwood, Massachusetts, Police Department has posted some of its crash footage caused by a low bridge. This bridge is 10' 6". It has claimed a firetruck.

Westwood PD YouTube channel.

Comment

Working...
                          X