This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One bonus of working retail

So I've started working at a front desk position at a recreation center, and my boss keeps being continuously amazed at my ability to stay calm when someone starts losing their minds at the desk. I have explained to her that this is due to retail experience, and she always looks vaguely concerned about this. It's kind of hilarious on my end because they always end up trying to comfort me or re-direct the guest to someone at manager level because they're concerned for me, and the complete swap from having worked retail this long always ends up with me slightly confused and amused.
    Tell a man there are 300 Billion stars in the universe and he’ll believe you.
    Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he’ll have to touch to be sure.
    -Unknown Author

I'm the opposite! My retail sucktomers would try to get my goat and get all angry that I would just stare at them or calmly tell them where to go. Meanwhile, at my all numbers all day office job I get so stressed out over billing mistakes. That sounds crazy but it comes from not ever having enough time to fix everything I need to fix. In fact, I'm working overtime tomorrow because of that.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Heh, hopefully you'll be able to get things finished. My job sounds a bit easier than yours, largely I just have to handle guests, only truly dicey things thus far have been someone claiming they were going to commit suicide and an aggressive stalker going after a coworker. Thankfully we're on very good terms with the local sheriff's dept.
      Tell a man there are 300 Billion stars in the universe and he’ll believe you.
      Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he’ll have to touch to be sure.
      -Unknown Author

Comment

It took me a few years, but I learned to stay calm under provocation in my nearly-a-decade at a weekly newspaper. If I'd actually made an error, I would certainly apologize, and go to the moon and back to fix it ... but if you're just screaming at me because you don't like something I wrote, watch me push your buttons until YOU hang up ...
        Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Opalin View Post
          Heh, hopefully you'll be able to get things finished.
          I closed maybe 5 cases in almost 3 hours. Checked up on several closed ones. There's never enough time but I know when the workload gets to a certain level my coworkers will be put on it and close stuff out for me. (The ones who aren't trained to deal with leases tend to have more time on their hands.)
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
          X