Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have endometriosis also, and they opted not to deal with anything other than the 2 adhesions, there are as my doc put it 'hundreds of specks' and he thinks at least 4 more adhesions, but the 'rummaging about' [love Brit accents in doctors =)] would have effectively gutted me like a perch. Oddly enough, it was my second bout with ovarian cancer, and I was not ever planning to do hormone replacement [hey, I was 50, and my reproductive system would have been winding down anyway, and the body is SUPPOSED to wind down.] I do however want to caution you, your body still produces estrogen and whatever hormone cocktail without ovaries, and my little splorches of endometrium still twinge monthly ... and 6 years down the line I still get an occasional hot flash as my hormone levels shift in response to the sun, the moon, the vagarities of Game of Thrones and weightloss releasing whatever that had been bound up in fat cells ...

And if you have the money, get someone in to do a good house cleaning for you ... makes it less of a huge job when you can finally manage to clean on your own.
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I still have my ovaries. There was no need to remove them, and I didn't want to hit menopause that way. When the doctors went in and found the endometriosis, they saw that the ovaries were clear, so they left them, as agreed earlier.

Now that the idea has been floated of having a professional cleaning service come in, I'm SO tempted!

Comment

I second the professional cleaner idea. Firstly, trying to clean after it has been left for longer than normal is harder work, and you're still recovering. Secondly you'll be less stressed as it'll be one less thing to worry about, and "maintenance" cleaning afterwards would be more in your current range of abilities.
        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

I went to my regular gynecologist today. He did an ultrasound and told me there are no hematomas. I filled him in on when the surgery was and what was done, since he's not the one who did it (I wanted it at a specific hospital, and he doesn't have a contract to perform surgery there).

He said everything looks fine, and that I can resume normal activities after a month.

Comment

Just because you can resume normal activities doesn't mean you should. Trust me on this. Take things slow, heal well. Don't overdo exercise, don't lift heavy objects, etc. It will take MONTHS before you are up to normal every day activities.

If you overdo it, your body WILL let you know and you WILL want to sleep and take painkillers to help.

I was three months before I could do things like lift a full laundry basket without serious pain. Do alot of walking but stop when you're tired. Take the time you need to heal.

I hurt myself pretty bad about two months in and ended up sleeping almost a full day and was in big time pain. The only thing I did was vacuum. Doctors say stupid things like "you can resume normal activities". I honestly think they're smoking something.
            Last edited by Moirae; 08-25-2017, 04:06 AM.

Comment

I haven't needed painkillers. I've had the odd burst of pain that has me clenching a fist until it passes, but nothing - repeat, nothing - as bad as the cramps I used to get.

I asked my gynecologist why I couldn't have had the surgery earlier.

"You were too young," he said.

So I was too young to be treated for a condition that caused the loss of at least one job, countless other job opportunities, horrible bleeding, horrendous pain, and godawful mood swings. But I wasn't too young to be saddled with a pregnancy on top of that condition, one that could have led to permanent physical problems.

Right.

Comment

Wow, you're lucky then. I'm envious. I basically slept through the first week after. And my doctor had me basically bed bound for a month and a half other than going to the bathroom or to see her. I'll tell you though, I'm so happy it was done. I was so scared when it first happened, they had to give me two shots of anxiety medicine because I was freaking out before the surgery. But I feel better than I have in years. I'm even much more me.

I'm surprised you didn't find another doctor.

Comment

Yeah... I overdid it.

Wednesday, I went out for a couple of hours. Nothing stressful. I felt fine when I got home.

Thursday, I went to see my gynecologist. I had to run a few errands afterwards. Got home tired.

Yesterday, I didn't go anywhere except for a short walk.

Today, I went downtown for a lesson with my Czech teacher. I was doing fine for some time, but then began to wear down rather rapidly. My teacher asked me if I would be okay getting home. I said I would try, but I needed a few minutes.

A few minutes later, she asked if she should call a taxi. I agreed.

The upshot of it is, she went with me in the taxi to make sure I got home all right, AND she told me not to pay her for the lesson. (I wasn't sure I would have enough for the taxi after paying her.)

There are some remarkably good people out there.

I tried to sleep, but it didn't work. I'm waiting until I can really hit the sack.

Comment

Yeah, I felt fine too. Except later I felt like all my energy drained in minutes and could barely stay awake. By nighttime my whole belly was hurting and I had to take a percocet. Within an hour I was out like a light and slept 14 hours. Though I did feel fine when I woke up. You will know when you overdo it. I know you feel great and all, but your body will give you a great big finger when you go too far.

The thing is, the surgery can even cause insomnia. There's a bunch of things you can do to try to calm your body down. I take melatonin every other day (or thereabouts) due to a car accident in 2004 that left me with insomnia big time. Try meditation, stay away from the tv and the computer, maybe read a little. Rest is your best friend right now.

But it will get better.

Comment

I've been staying up very late, then finding myself unable to sleep. My alarm goes off at 9 a.m., when I take my medication. Then I toss and turn until I finally drift off, waking up around 2 p.m. It's wearisome.

Comment

I went for a checkup yesterday. The doctor who performed the surgery examined me, did an ultrasound, and said everything is fine, and that I've healed.

He did recommend that I take it easy, still, and that I avoid exercises that work out the abdominal muscles too much. He also told me that lifting weights is not a good idea. As if I do that now!

So, all looks well.

Comment

Glad to hear it. Keep up the good healing.

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
                            <snip>

I haven't needed painkillers, so I haven't taken any. Even just after surgery, when the pain was at its height, it was SO much more bearable than cramps ever were!
                            <snip>
                            I also had endometriosis and intra-uterine adhesions, and THIS right here was the #1 most wonderful thing for the entire ordeal for me. I remember being asked to "grade" my pain on a scale of 1-10 when in recovery, and when I replied "3" - the nurse couldn't believe me but when I told her that my pain BEFORE the surgery on the 1 to 10 scale had been a 25, what I was experiencing post surgery was nothing but blissful relief!

Hope most of your healing is done and you feel loads better!
                            The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
                              I asked my gynecologist why I couldn't have had the surgery earlier.

"You were too young," he said.

So I was too young to be treated for a condition that caused the loss of at least one job, countless other job opportunities, horrible bleeding, horrendous pain, and godawful mood swings. But I wasn't too young to be saddled with a pregnancy on top of that condition, one that could have led to permanent physical problems.

Right.
                              I had the same conversation with my GP in my 20's. I KNEW I didn't want children, and I wanted the constant pain to go away. I had to wait until I was in my 30's, anemic and bleeding 27 days straight to get them to say "Yeah, you really DO need this surgery."
                              The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

God, it's been awful. When I was coming out of surgery, I felt like shit. I threw up twice, because I'd been under the anesthetic for so long. I had tubes coming out of me in four different places. Throwing up caused pain in all the incisions. I couldn't sit up, let alone stand.

And I looked up at the ceiling and whispered, "It was worth it."

DeltaSierra, my post-op pain was somewhere around 1.5. Cramps always debilitated me. I could NOT function. I could barely talk. Surgery? So much more bearable.

Latest news, the gynecologist told me that not only did I have endometriosis, I ALSO had adenomyosis. For those of you who don't know, that's when endometrial cells migrate into the muscles of the uterus.

Something tells me my endometrium just didn't want to stay in place. And each condition can only be diagnosed through surgery.

This should have been done when I was, oh, about twenty.

Comment

Working...
                                X