• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polar Vortex 2019

I left my warm home to brave the wind chill to ring up this customer*

Customer: It's soooo cold!
    Me: "I have no idea what you're talking about."
    Customer: It's a shame that they put you on a register where it's so cold!
    Me: "I do whatever my corporate overlords request of me."
    Customer: You stay warm!
    Me: "Sorry, I've retail so long my soul is cold and dark and doesn't allow me to be warm."

*It wasn't just one customer but pretty much the same conversation I had with everyone I rang up today. And I just had to add in what I may or may not have been thinking.
    I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

The cold was all anybody was talking about here, too. We had maybe 10 customers in the lobby today. But plenty came through the drive-up. Apparently, they were ok driving to the bank and rolling down the window, but not getting out of the car.

I lost track of how many people I've told to "stay warm!" this week.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Comment

Really hate the well-intentioned but obnoxious "stay warm!" shit, same thing with "stay cool!" when it's 95 degrees out and I'm pushing carts through a sweltering parking lot.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
        Really hate the well-intentioned but obnoxious "stay warm!" shit, same thing with "stay cool!" when it's 95 degrees out and I'm pushing carts through a sweltering parking lot.
        People who say that to workers stuck in hot/cold environments need to be passing out hand warmers or ice packs as appropriate.

Comment

At 11 p.m. it is down to 11° F in my back yard. It is supposed to get down to 6° F in the DC area.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I started my day with -23 F. I admit I told a couple customers in warmer climates to stay warm as a joke. Coworker was happy when it warmed up to 3 F.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

My heart goes out to all those people who have to work in this crap, including but not limited to postal carriers.

There was a petition circulating asking the post office to NOT deliver the mail in such conditions. I can wait a day or two for my bills and eBay/Amazon purchases to arrive, thank you.

Comment

My car said -32F on the way to work. But somehow it's supposed to be warmer than yesterday.

ETA: My coworker had -41F on her car. She comes from the town that's consistently the coldest town in the US.

WRT "stay warm!" I agree that it's often obnoxious, but I genuinely worry about some of my customers who go out in -50F windchills without hats or gloves.
                Last edited by Ghel; 01-31-2019, 03:56 PM.
                "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth CyberLurch View Post
                  My heart goes out to all those people who have to work in this crap, including but not limited to postal carriers.

There was a petition circulating asking the post office to NOT deliver the mail in such conditions. I can wait a day or two for my bills and eBay/Amazon purchases to arrive, thank you.
                  According to this article (about half way down):

Mail service is still suspended
                  The massive cold snap has also frozen some mail and blood donation services.
                  The US Postal Service said due to arctic temperatures, Thursday deliveries are suspended in parts of Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                    According to this article (about half way down):
                    Well, I'm glad to see that someone in government has some sense.

The freakish thing is that over the coming weekend, it's supposed to be quite moderate, with highs in the 50s predicted for Monday - at least, in my particular area.

Mother Nature, take your damned meds, willya?

Comment

... Mother Nature, take your damned meds, willya?
                      No! I doan wanna!
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Ehhhh, just dress properly. It only got down to -4° here yesterday morn when I started. Haven't needed gloves, but I'm thankful for a good coat (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 unfortunately it's doubled in price since I got it) while I'm out delivering (DoorDash, GrubHub & PostMates).
                        Seph
                        Taur10
                        "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Mother Nature, take your damned meds, willya?
                          ~~ Ohhhh, aaaaa
                          Spoonful of Winter
                          Helps the Temperature go doooooooooown,
                          The temperature go doooooooooown,
                          The temperature go down, Ohh,
                          A Spoonful of Winter
                          Iiiiin the most deliiightfuuuul waaaay! ~~

"For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Ghel View Post
                            WRT "stay warm!" I agree that it's often obnoxious, but I genuinely worry about some of my customers who go out in -50F windchills without hats or gloves.
                            I can't stand it when I see a customer -- usually a teenager -- walk into the store in shorts when it's under 30 degrees. When I'm out in the lot doing carts and see that, I have to suppress a strong desire to whip a snowball at them.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                              ~~ Ohhhh, aaaaa
                              Spoonful of Winter
                              The temperature go doooooooooown,
                              The temperature go down, Ohh,
                              A Spoonful of Winter
                              Iiiiin the most deliiightfuuuul waaaay! ~~

You are a very bad person who will come to an evil end!

LOL, that was great

I couldn't survive the sort of cold that many people are suffering through. I am really praying that the death count stays low. I honestly swear to never complain about the heat again (unless its over 120F/48.8C).

Comment

Working...
                              X