This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "let go of your grudge and it'll get better"

I don't know about you guys, but personally I do not like chiropractors. Every time I have gone to one with back problems, they usually make it worse. I had to go to the one in our hometown a lot as a child because my spine was curving, but i was able to fix it myself but just using better posture, so I stopped going. Now, our local doc is a great guy. Everyone knows and loves him. He is an amazing photographer as well, always seen on the sidelines of every game for my old high school football, baseball, and basketball games.
    But, it seems he is getting a little odd in the head. Now, I am wiccan. I like using herbs and meditation instead of a lot of drugs, mainly because my immune system was shot due to all the painkillers and antibiotics I've been given over the years. I don't even get flu shots anymore (haven't caught the flu since either, thank you very much). I believe that stress, as well as other outside factors can cause a lot ailments, but this was just...weird. My mom developed a problem with her shoulder, where it would hurt for a while. Something about the tendons and joint, I don't know, but it is apparently hereditary because my older sister has just started developing it. So, she went to the local back doc to get it checked out. Her shoulder would only rotate to a certain point before hurting, same with lifting her arm, etc. He's explanation for it? "It seems you are holding a grudge against someone. If you let go of the grudge, it'll get better." My eyebrow went up instantly and stayed there when my sister told me this.
    *trying not to chuckle* "Well, then you need to let go of your grudge."
    I'm all for home cooked medicine and the ideas behind the ailments, but you're a real honest to Demeter doctor, and your diagnosis is a grudge? Yeah....Love you dude, you're an awesome dude, but I think you're starting to lose your marbles there.
    She went to family doctor, they figured out it same thing my mom has and gave her some muscle relaxers and some good painkillers (she was so loopy after she took those, it was pretty funny). If it develops to the point where my mom is now, then they would try to get her into physical therapy to loosen up the tendons and muscles in her shoulders. But, since my sister doesn't sit at a computer all day like my mom does, the doc thinks it won't get to the that point.
    Just because they serve you, doesn't mean they like you. And just because they smile and act polite doesn't mean they aren't planning to destroy you.

"I put the laughter in slaughter."

I've had a couple bad chiropractors and absolutely LOVE the one I have now. So I think it just depends.

Comment

I think it does too. Not saying all chiropractors are bad, just the ones I've gone to. Maybe I just haven't found the right one yet.
      Just because they serve you, doesn't mean they like you. And just because they smile and act polite doesn't mean they aren't planning to destroy you.

Comment

I think I went through first meetings with four before I found the guy I like. And the main reason why I picked him was when I went in to ask about a consult he had to stop the question and answer cause I just needed to have my arm right. And for free moved my shoulder that I think actually made me purr cause it felt so much better.

That and cash price per session is only 30.

Comment

Don't give up on chiropractors completely. Mine has helped me a lot. She was the only one who figured out that by doing a form of gentle inversion (laying back on a slanted cushion for 4 minutes, twice a day) not only unpinched the nerves in my neck, it decreased my scoliosis and kyphosis. She worked wonders with my hips, popped my ankles and toes back in, eased knotted muscles. Were it up to my conventional doctor, I would be in such severe pain right now, even with painkillers.

Having said that, have either your mother or your sister tried massage therapy? They, took, can work wonders-I've gone to several sessions myself. It sounds a bit like there is a muscle issue there. I am not a doctor, but try one anyway.
          Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

i had (note i used the word Had) a friend that believed that cancer only went to people who had hate in their heart.

she refused to listen to anyone who said that it had more to do with genes and genetics than hate.

some people really have NO idea what theyre talking about

Comment

My last chiropractor scared me so much I'll never go to one again. It also doesn't help that insurance doesn't cover anything beyond normal routine care, and we have to pay $30 copay every appointment, and that's IF they are one of the *very few* in the network of providers.
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I've had mixed success with chiropractors. I had a great one in North Dakota and California.

I haven't found one in North Carolina worth a damn yet.

I do think they have value for low back pain. Sometimes for upper back and neck pain.

I don't buy their BS about how it can treat other conditions, though. NO scientific evidence to back it up.
                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                  I don't buy their BS about how it can treat other conditions, though. NO scientific evidence to back it up.
                  There was a fairly big case (for those who follow such) over here where a guy contended that the claims from the Britishlandialand chiro health group were bunkum. It went through the libel courts and everything, and he ended up far poorer, but vindicated by their dropping of the case.

http://www.badscience.net/2010/04/br...iticised-them/

The article is written by someone who is campaigning for libel reform. However, he writes an excellent blog.

As a side note, I've had chiropractic and osteopathic treatments that have really helped me in the areas they're shown to work.

Rapscallion

Comment

Chiropractors have done wonders for me. But their work is temporary, because disks that slip and are put back in place can slip back again.

The problem I have is money to go. Insurance doesn't trust chiropractors.
                    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Honestly, it sounds like your mom and sister are dealing with something I've had since I was about 14, that is exceedingly simple - Bursitis. Inflammation of the bursa sacs of the major joints. Specifically, shoulders & hips. I've got an attack going right now, and because my job involves stocking wine bottles in racks, it's not really getting better. Osteopathic treatments help a bit, chiropractic ones not at all, and anti-inflammatories are my best friend. The only real (and sometimes permanent) solution is a cortisone injection into the affected joint. But they hesitate to do that unless it's chronic and seriously affects range-of-motion, because of all the nerves.

IANAD (although my sister is, and I'm due for another treatment from her) - I've just had this for over half my life, and have learned how to recognize the symptoms in others.

Comment

You might try an osteopath, if you can find one that does adjustments (they're getting difficult to find.)

I had a really good one in Arizona; he fixed a lot of my back and neck problems. Problem is, he's getting elderly now and I'm no longer in Arizona.
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

http://www.osteopathic.org/osteopath...s/default.aspx and make sure you tick off the box next to Osteo Manipulative Treatment (untick the "search all specialties" box). You can look for something in your area.

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                            There was a fairly big case (for those who follow such) over here where a guy contended that the claims from the Britishlandialand chiro health group were bunkum. It went through the libel courts and everything, and he ended up far poorer, but vindicated by their dropping of the case.

Rapscallion
                            Thanks for the link. It was really interesting.

Fortunately for me, I live in America where the libel/slander laws are very different, given that I have no problem blogging what I think

Quoth Kristev View Post
                            Chiropractors have done wonders for me. But their work is temporary, because disks that slip and are put back in place can slip back again.

The problem I have is money to go. Insurance doesn't trust chiropractors.
                            Depends on how good your insurance is. Mine pays for 27 visits a year. I still have to pay a co pay, and that gets rather expensive.

I've had cortisone shots for bursitis in my knee. The idea had always scared me to death, but my doctor is really good. I hardly felt it, and after it had taken effect it worked so well, I almost forgot to take the cane I'd borrowed from Evil Empryss with me (her good cane, too . . . she would have been pissed if I'd lost it).
                            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
                              Honestly, it sounds like your mom and sister are dealing with something I've had since I was about 14, that is exceedingly simple - Bursitis. Inflammation of the bursa sacs of the major joints. Specifically, shoulders & hips. I've got an attack going right now, and because my job involves stocking wine bottles in racks, it's not really getting better. Osteopathic treatments help a bit, chiropractic ones not at all, and anti-inflammatories are my best friend. The only real (and sometimes permanent) solution is a cortisone injection into the affected joint. But they hesitate to do that unless it's chronic and seriously affects range-of-motion, because of all the nerves.
                              That does sound right, I just wasn't sure one what it was called lol. Yeah, the docs gave my sister a cortisone shot the next day to help it and she says it's a lot better. Mom gets monthly shots for her hips and ankles already, so they didn't think she needed any more, but to be honest she's been a hard working woman since she was 16 (much like all the women in our family) and we all just think it's finally catching up to her. She's not very old mind you (only 48), but because of all the walking, the stretching, computer sitting, waitressing, and 3 kids and a grandkid, her body is trying to say "take it easy!" but like all the women in our family, "taking it easy" isn't really our thing lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X