This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I could do your job"

This is a sighting, and it happened to my daughter, not to me, but I was there.

So we were at the AT&T store getting my daughter's new phone activated. Got good service and everything was going fine, until the very nice lady asked my daughter what she does for a living. Daughter is a vet tech. Response? "Oh I could do that job. I foster animals. Have for years."

No. You could not. Please don't assume that your experience is equal to her intensive two-year college education. You have not had classes in anatomy, pharmacology, pathology, etc. You have not passed a comprehensive test. You have not been trained to insert catheters, and IV lines, or to assist in surgery. You do not have training in radiology and anesthesiology.

Daughter was offended. Can't blame her.
    Women can do anything men can.
    But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
    Maxine

'What's that? You have a pain in your leg? I know what it is. I've never missed an episode of 'House''
    Because we all know you can get a medical education off t.v.
    Perhaps they think vet techs are the same level as the volunteers and trainees that are employed to clean cages? I know my vet uses new students for the lesser jobs.

Comment

You know what? Animal hoarders "foster" animals for years, too.

That person is an idiot.

Comment

Quoth Ryooshi View Post
        Perhaps they think vet techs are the same level as the volunteers and trainees that are employed to clean cages? I know my vet uses new students for the lesser jobs.
        This is exactly the problem. It's a new profession and qualifications are not well known.

It doesn't help that our state does not require certification. Vets can hire anyone off the street and call them "techs." But those who work with animals should know better.
        Women can do anything men can.
        But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
        Maxine

Comment

Quoth Sparky View Post
          Vets can hire anyone off the street and call them "techs."
          That is terrifying. Vet techs are like nurses. I don't want a nurse hired off the street, and I don't want one for Krypto either. Granted, I am in Canada, and to the best of my knowledge they have to be trained. Or I've just always went to vets that had trained techs. I've seen the certificates on the wall of every one.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
            You know what? Animal hoarders "foster" animals for years, too.

That person is an idiot.
            This made me LOL!

The issue with people is that they dont know what they don't know. A very presumptuous idiot she was.

Comment

We actually get the same thing A LOT as caretakers for the elderly and disabled. We do at least 14 months of very intensive training, i.e. we're qualified and certified - but everybody is always going "anyone could do that, you just wipe old peoples' a**" The worst part is that some politicians and most of our bosses (mostly nurses) think the same and actually hire anybody off the street with no training at all, because they're cheaper to employ. Or they use unemployed, who are equally untrained and forced to work there for free, or they'll lose the (extremely low) financial support from the government ..

Comment

I know in my state, there's the Registered Vet Techs and then the "vet assistants." Most people treat them the same. +

Comment

Ugh, there is a big push in Florida to do away with licensing for many jobs. The thought process is that it acts as a barrier to employment...

If someone isn't qualified to get licensed to be a vet tech (Realtor/CPA), I don't want them to have a job that involves touching my pet (house/money).

Comment

Quoth Engmfj View Post
                    We actually get the same thing A LOT as caretakers for the elderly and disabled. We do at least 14 months of very intensive training, i.e. we're qualified and certified - but everybody is always going "anyone could do that, you just wipe old peoples' a**" The worst part is that some politicians and most of our bosses (mostly nurses) think the same and actually hire anybody off the street with no training at all, because they're cheaper to employ. Or they use unemployed, who are equally untrained and forced to work there for free, or they'll lose the (extremely low) financial support from the government ..
                    Someone recently said to me "there are plenty of jobs to go around, unemployment is down to people being lazy, there are loads of care work jobs about!"

First of all, in the UK, there are 4 people to every available job (be part time or full time). Thats just maths.

And second of all (and more relevant)...as someone who has a grandmother with advanced dementia, mild Parkinsons, is slightly incontinent and has suffered several strokes in the last decade or so...I don't want just "anyone" looking after her. In fact, as someone who Tridented this sort of work as a teen, I think people who don't want to do the job shouldn't have to do it just because its the only job going- because that will only lead to abuse and neglect of the patient. But I digress...it takes a lot to be able to do that sort of job and I will never turn my nose up at someone who wipes an old senile lady's bottom for her.

A little OT but in the same vein and I definately agree with the OP's daughter's offense.

Comment

What a moron! It seems that animal care would need an even greater degree of education than human care; at least we're all the same inside. You're daughter is probably awesome with animals and works hard.
                      "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Ryooshi View Post
                        That is terrifying. I don't want a nurse hired off the street
                        Have you ever been at the doctor's office and had a nurse check you in, do your vitals, or take blood? Depending on the state, that might be a real nurse (RN or LVN) or it could just be someone that the doctor hired off the street. In Texas, it's ok to call someone "Nurse Suzie", as long as you don't call them "RN Suzie" or "LVN Suzie" as those are protected titles but Nurse isn't.

Please don't take this to fratching--just be aware that titles don't always mean what you think they do.

Comment

Quoth Little Retail Rabbit View Post
                          I think people who don't want to do the job shouldn't have to do it just because its the only job going- because that will only lead to abuse and neglect of the patient.
                          I completely agree, Rabbit - that's the whole essence in it. People who are forced to do a job, they don't want to do, tend to slack off and not do it properly. And of course, they don't even know what they're observing, what it means, etc. - same thing with the animals, so I understand why the OPs daughter got upset - I would be, too ..

Comment

I think it's dismissive, therefore offensive, to say "I could do your job easily." That woman was threatened by your daughter's accomplishment.
                            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
                              Have you ever been at the doctor's office and had a nurse check you in, do your vitals, or take blood? Depending on the state, that might be a real nurse (RN or LVN) or it could just be someone that the doctor hired off the street. In Texas, it's ok to call someone "Nurse Suzie", as long as you don't call them "RN Suzie" or "LVN Suzie" as those are protected titles but Nurse isn't.

Please don't take this to fratching--just be aware that titles don't always mean what you think they do.

Not fratching, I understand what you are saying. Not first hand, because I know things work differently in the U.S. (I live in Canada). I'm glad that at least the titles are protected, though. One should know who is poking them with a needle.

Comment

Working...
                              X