This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question

This is something that I have been wondering about since I was a kid. Let me start off by saying that while I am looking somewhat for a diagnosis, it is more information than label I am trying to discover. This is in no means a prelude to anything medical or legal as it pertains to my family, friends, or loved ones.

A close male relative of mine died when I was a teen, between 10-15 years ago. Apparently he was worse and worse, not feeling well. One day he came in and his cheeks were black and he was very pale. The Drs said (as far as I can remember from the time) that it had something to do with the production of red blood cells... His body stopped making new ones. Within a short time after the initial hospital visit re the black cheeks, he was brought home to die. He did, a few days later.

I am trying to find the name of what he had, as it has been bothering me for a few years now. It seems like they called it malo-dysplasia?
    "Hi, this is Silver. How may I lose my self respect in order to cater to your over- inflated ego today?" --- Silverrb

First thing that pops into my mind is Aplastic Anemia, where the bone marrow does not produce enough blood cells. Diagnosis usually includes malaise and a sickly pallor.

There's also Myelodysplastic syndrome, what used to be known as preleukemia. MDS are disorders of the stem cells in the bone marrow, causing the production of blood to be impaired.

Comment

If you want to know the exact diagnosis, and your relatives either don't know or don't want to answer, see if you can get a copy of his death certificate. As a relative, you can probably get one. Whatever disorder he had will likely be listed as the cause of death.

Then you won't have to wonder. We can guess all day, but that doesn't translate into an answer.
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Sapphire Silk had the best answer.

This is the Wikipedia Category for red blood cell disorders.

NOTE: Wikipedia is not a reliable source of information; however it's often a good place to start. It can give you the keywords with which to search more reliable sources.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

You can also go to the courthouse in the area where he died and they have a record room that Geneologist use for research where you can see a listing of what is on the death certificate. If you do not understand what the cause of death means just ask. Sometimes on older death certificates the illness listed is known as something different now.

Comment

Working...
          X