Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Part of "Only" Don't You Understand?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Part of "Only" Don't You Understand?

A customer with an older version of our software got an error message and emailed us. I provided a 30 second step-by-step fix and explained that that error happens with that old version when something on the system changes (such as unplugging a cable).

So he writes back and says he unplugged the cable again and got the same error. Was there another fix?

No. My fix is the only one (besides paying for an update). I explained that politely and gave the fix to him again.

But he needs to unplug the cable sometimes and he's doesn't want the error to happen every time. Isn't there another fix?

Again, no. The fix I gave him works and only takes 30 seconds. There's really no other fix (unless he pays for an update).

Either don't unplug the cable or incorporate my 30-second fix into your cable-unplugging/replugging routine. That, or pay for an update.

Can you guess what happened next?

Of course you can! He found that "unacceptable."
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

I used to hear that word every single day, several times a day. Now I work overnight and respond to customers email and maybe actually talk to 10 customers a night. Well, you can find it anyway you want to find it, unacceptable, etc. Doesn't change what I can or cannot do, or the laws of physics.

I always picture a robot going "cannot compute" over and over again while its circuits fry and smoke starts coming out of its head.

Comment

I'm going to accept some of the blame here.

If I had mentioned paying for the update first, then I bet the slightly inconvenient but free fix would have been much more "acceptable."
      The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

Comment

Of course it'd be fine then
        "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

Oh, Gord. He's still bugging me. He keep insisting that something must be missing from the emails I'm sending him. My guess is that it is because the fix in those emails is the same one I've now sent three times and he STILL doesn't believe there isn't another fix.

I sent it again, cc'd his IT guy, and prefaced it with, "The reason you didn't receive an attachment to my last email is that I didn't send one. The fix was outlined in the body of the email. If the body was blank, it may be that your email program doesn't recognize HTML. I am resending the instructions in plain text in case that is the issue." [I think the liklihood of deliberate obtuseness is far greater than the liklihood of having plain-text-only email, but we have to pretend don't we?]

Then I copied and pasted the ONLY free fix for the fourth time.

ARGH!

Update: He just did it again. Now I know he's attempting to wear me down.

So I'm writing a macro to reply to each and every email with a couple of keystrokes. Each reply will be in both HTML and plain text and will be identical to the one before. And I shall be sure to cc his boss (whose email address he kindly provided me) each and every time I answer him.

I just love when they try to chip away at my patience. They have no idea what they're dealing with.
          Last edited by Dips; 03-30-2007, 06:54 PM. Reason: add update

Comment

Working...
          X