This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you stop automatic window jumping

I'm probably not using the right term here, but what I'm referring to is how when you have multiple windows open and one of your inactive windows gets an alert of some sort. Windows will automatically jump to that window so that you can see what it is. This absolutely infuriates me. I'm sitting here typing along or whatever and all of a sudden I'm in a different window. It's really bad when you hit a key that will cancel or do something in the window that you got jumped into.

I've searched all over for a setting to shut this off but can't find it. Does such a feature exist?
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

pretty sure anything like that would be in the program itself, since most of the programs I use don't auto-focus when there's an alert, and the few that do are like my chat program popping up a new window when someone IMs me for the first time, and I told it to do that. You might be able to find a home-made app that'll "lock focus" on the active window, or something like that, but you'd have to search.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I believe it's called "focus stealing". If you stick that into Google you might get some interesting answers.

Comment

Thanks, I found a "Tweak UI" application from Microsoft that is supposed to handle the problem. It seems so work but I'll have to test it some more.

Edit: okay, typical Microsoft, it doesn't work. The feature is already there, this application just lets you adjust how the alert works (ie: how many times the other window flashes). It works on some programs you use, but not on any kind of pop-up. For instance, when you're downloading a file, it will automatically jump to your download window when it reaches 100%; if you happen to be typing at that time, you can inadvertently cancel the download

Ah well, you take what they offer. Thanks for the effort.
        Last edited by evilhomer; 01-22-2009, 08:07 PM.
        D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
        Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

unfortunately that is all Windows is doing is the flash alerts. The auto "bring-to-front" is the application at work, and that is different for every app.
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I've found that if you use multiple tabs as opposed to different windows (in IE) then you don't get that issue.

If it's multiple programs then you're stuffed really I'm afraid...
            A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Working...
            X