This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trashed a perfectly good machine...

When I stopped by my parents' place on the way home last week, one of the neighbors was throwing out an old computer. From the looks of it, it had been stripped, yet still had the drives in place. Since I tend to 'recycle' old computers, I took it home, dumped it in the garage, and forgot about it.

That was, until I hit it with the car door *again* last night. I'm trying to get rid of stuff, and was about to trash it. Instead, I took it upstairs to take a look. Even though the case had been opened, everything was still there--CD drive, floppy drive, HD, power supply, etc. but not hooked up.

After bolting the power supply back in, I fired it up. Damn was that thing noisy! The CPU fan was literally howling Rather than risk a fire, I took it into the kitchen, popped the heatsink off, and was *amazed* at what was in there.

The damn thing was furry! There was so much dust and dirt in there, I was surprised it didn't burn up when I applied the power! However, after a good cleaning and reassembly, the machine worked fine...and now I have another "extra" machine to play with.

Yep, they'd thrown out a perfectly working computer over a 5 minute repair. It's only an 850Mhz, but I'm not complaining--it's still better than the 400Mhz Compaq I also have
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Sound like a cheap mp3 server to me!
    ludo ergo sum

Comment

I 2nd that
      "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

That actually happens a lot more than you think -- people get their machines viruses and simply throw them away. My son has found quite a few machines out with the trash that he brought home, and found there was nothing wrong with them that a simple reformat wouldn't fix. Then he'd sell them for pure profit.
        Sometimes life is altered.
        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
        Uneasy with confrontation.
        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
        X