Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From buses to vicodin - or why I'm exhausted (long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From buses to vicodin - or why I'm exhausted (long)

HOLY FRIGGING CRAP! I am worn out. BUT - I am soooo glad I took a few days off this week to take care of my husband for his oral surgery to have his wisdom teeth out. Poor guy. The lower ones were pointing straight toward the front of his mouth. I've had mine out before so I knew what was coming for him.

One difference, though, he was getting his done with heavy local anesthesia rather than general. Lower risk considering his heart has issues. The actual procedure went fine. He came out with a droopy face from being so numb, they gave him an "ice pack" (something where gel interacts with pellets and the chemical reaction makes it cold) then we headed out for the bus. Keep in mind, we don't own a car. However, it's a quick bus ride home. The stop is right outside the oral surgeon's office and the same route drops us off half a block from home. Should be simple, right? And any other day, it would be.

First of all, we come out of the office with Droopy Face holding an ice pack on his cheek, he sees a bus at the stop and takes off running to catch it. Meanwhile, I'm running after him yelling at him to not run. That is NOT good for the bleeding!!! We did catch that bus, though, and had to stand because it was so full. Eventually one seat opened and I insisted he take it. I can be bossy when it comes to taking care of him. Then, the bus had a blowout. Another bus pulled over to pick up passengers, so we got on it. Then, I realized it was the wrong route. The two routes just run together for a bit. SO, we had to get out, wait 10 minutes at a stop, then get on another bus on the right route that was so crowded (from holding two buses worth), that there were people standing all the way to the door. By this point, his ice pack had quit long ago. That thing was a joke. Eventually, the bus cleared out enough for us to sit, too. It was a good thing. He was bleeding and I had to give him more gauze on the bus.

I am still kicking myself for not just hailing a cab. Yes, it's a gamble on whether or not you'd get a driver that doesn't scare you shitless, but it had to be better than that experience.

I finally got him home and on the couch with a bag of frozen peas. Next step was going to the grocery store to pick up the prescriptions. I made record time walking the mile there and ended up waiting 20 minutes behind the guy who couldn't straighten out his insurance stuff and kept answering calls on his phone. Then, it was 20 minutes to fill the prescriptions. I finally got all of it and heading out with other stuff like ice cream and a bag of ice in my backpack to make him more ice packs. It was after dark now and I started walking home.

Almost home, I get a text from my husband. He was looking for tea bags to bite on. It's good for bleeding sockets from the extraction. We had one tea bag left. I blame Lupo for getting us started on awesome loose leaf teas. So here I am with ice in my backback, almost a mile from the store, and I need tea bags.

I stopped in a nearby crappy looking vitamin store with no luck. Thankfully, there was an expensive specialty urban grocery store half a block away and I brought him home Tazo tea for the bleeding.

I gave him the high dose Motrin first since they told us to do that first and then go to Vicodin if that doesn't cut it. Well, it didn't cut it. His numbness had already worn off before he took anything, so by the time it was safe to take Vicodin 6 hours later, he was really hurting. Finally managed to get him what he needed and in bed at 1 a.m.

Today, it was back to the store for cheap tea bags and the rest of the day was spent in the kitchen making soft foods so we'll have a stash in the fridge for him to choose from. Sooooo tired now.

Yeah, yeah. I know. Just needed to rant.
    The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Sounds like a 'good, fun adventure'. Hugs you you, and well-wishes for your spouse.

Comment

You weren't kidding, that was epic. I hope your husband recovers from it quickly.
      "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Thanks. It's exhausting, but we'll make it! He now has, in addition to smoothies on demand, yogurt, and ice cream, baked pumpkin puddings, roasted tomato soup, and cream of mushroom soup to choose from.

He's back on the Motrin now to see if he can get away with that for the daytime since it has actual, helpful anti-inflammatory properties.
        The original Cookie in a multitude of cookies.

Comment

Working...
        X