Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People need to keep their unsolicited advice to themselves. I took photography in middle school. Black and white, school-issued camera, developing the film myself... Loved it. Wouldn't dream of commenting on another person's work... But that's just me.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
      ROFLMAO. <background - I went to a very pricy private school for the last 3 years of high school> I showed up for my senior year's art option, photography and darkroom, with a 1939 Leica 3B, and the boxed set of every filter and lens offered [Hey, my Dad got it as a HS graduation present from my Grandfather. What can I say, my grandfather was a Baron of Industry...] The other students in class who had the newest expensive spiffy crap available in 1970 couldn't understand why the teacher was enraptured by my 'old crappy equipment' and they also couldn't understand why he was thrilled at my matching vintage enlarger, also by Leica. The *cloth shutter* also still timed at 1/1000 second <evil grin>
      It's funny how older cameras can be a conversation starters. For one of the first games where I was shooting on the field, Eastern Michigan was playing Alabama State. Their photographer had an old Soviet camera that he used for bench shots and the like.

Comment

Sub industry

ROFLMAO. <background - I went to a very pricy private school for the last 3 years of high school> I showed up for my senior year's art option, photography and darkroom, with a 1939 Leica 3B, and the boxed set of every filter and lens offered [Hey, my Dad got it as a HS graduation present from my Grandfather. What can I say, my grandfather was a Baron of Industry...] The other students in class who had the newest expensive spiffy crap available in 1970 couldn't understand why the teacher was enraptured by my 'old crappy equipment' and they also couldn't understand why he was thrilled at my matching vintage enlarger, also by Leica. The *cloth shutter* also still timed at 1/1000 second <evil grin>
        I understand there is also a small market where modern electronics/sensors are mounted into the body of older cameras to get custom designs that no off-the-shelf camera can deliver.

It can be something simple like a light meter or remote wireless flash controller to something like an extra large sensor that replaces the original film but gives you access to lens that are not available on modern devices.

hat would happen to the minds of those students to see what clearly is an older camera that has better specs than anything they can afford?

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
          People need to keep their unsolicited advice to themselves. I took photography in middle school. Black and white, school-issued camera, developing the film myself... Loved it. Wouldn't dream of commenting on another person's work... But that's just me.
          CC'ing* their work is usually welcome by a photographer. It's the inane comments like "you must have a really great camera" and the like that give us the shits.

* CC'ing = Constructive Critiquing
          Mytical: A SC? Make a mistake? Oh goodness no. Must have been the little pink men from the planet parsley in the butternut galaxy. We all know that SC's could NEVER make mistakes.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
            I must be more tired than I thought. My mind substituted a letter in "party" there, making for a much more amusing image >_>
            I'm glad I'm not the only one.
            Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              ... My mind substituted a letter in "party" there, making for a much more amusing image >_>...
              Quoth otakuneko View Post
              I'm glad I'm not the only one.
              Around here? The *only* one is the one who didn't.
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth AngloSaxonViking View Post
                "Great photo! You must have a really good camera".

I lost it once and replied, "yeah, they used to tell Rembrandt he must have a really superb set of brushes".
                Good one! But yeah, that's got to be irritating when the camera gets all the credit instead of the person behind it.
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

My father in law is a professional photographer, he was a navy shutterbug and one of his duties was as the unit photographer for the Blue Angels. he is retired from teaching [Photography, history and wrestling. Odd combination, but California, eh? =)] and has been doing weddings and sittings as well as shooting whatever on vacation [tax write off =)] for something like 50 years. Rob picked up his shutterbug habit from working with his dad, but hasn't really had much time for it in the past 10 yeas or so. He is looking forward to retirement and shutter bugging - he doesn't know that his present this year is my ancient leica =)
                  EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

That is going to be an epic present!

Comment

He is going to love it
                      Quoth prjkt View Post
                      That is going to be an epic present!
                      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth aulocksmith View Post
                        CC'ing* their work is usually welcome by a photographer. It's the inane comments like "you must have a really great camera" and the like that give us the shits.

* CC'ing = Constructive Critiquing
                        I'm a writer, as most of you know, and it's the same for us. I get irregular requests to do a critique, and I always try to make sure the person I'm critiqueing knows what I'm likely to do.

In all the arts - and yes, photography and writing are both arts - the 'rules' are guidelines. You can break them at will; but you'll only get good results if you either know what you're doing when you break them, or experiment a lot.

As for my own photographic skill: I know how to frame shots, I know to offset the point the eye is first drawn to, I know some other such elements of the artistic theory: the ones which apply also to sketching, painting, etc.
                        Do I have the faintest clue what the various options on my camera (or my phone) actually DO? ... vaguely. Sort of.
                        I can copy the photo into the Gimp and make it look better. Does that count for anything?
                        Seshat's self-help guide:
                        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

the weekend just passed I had a girl come up and thank me fore uploading a photo that made her "look retarded"

The only response I could think of at the time was, "you're welcome"

Comment

My father in law is a professional photographer, he was a navy shutterbug and one of his duties was as the unit photographer for the Blue Angels.
                            The Navy has some pretty good photographers...

Comment

Quoth prjkt View Post
                              the weekend just passed I had a girl come up and thank me fore uploading a photo that made her "look retarded"
                              "So, an improvement then!"
                              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                              My LiveJournal
                              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth prjkt View Post

The only response I could think of at the time was, "you're welcome"
                                PRICELESS!

Comment

Working...
                                X