This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blender advice

OK, on advice of my archery coach, he wants me to swap out my breakfast for a juice breakfast (not an all-day juice cleanse thank god) in the short-term. (As in using fresh fruit and/or vegies chopped up into the blender to gain their benefits)

So therefore I am tossing up on a blender. Specifically those blenders where you stick a bottle into it and then once it's blended, you take it with you.

Something like this:

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/kitch...o-blender.html

or this:

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/kitch...l-bottles.html

Has anyone had experience with these before?
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Honestly I don't like them. Never have after I had one explode on me awhile ago. When I started looking at alternative breakfast ideas I got a smoothie making blender that has a pre programmed smoothie button.

I'll admit it's loud, so I made it a box cover that had one if those styrofoam coolers mutilated and glued to the inside of the box. When it's first crushing the ice you can hear it a bit but after that, no sound.

Comment

First step...

Take the goldfish out of the blender!
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

While we're on the subject...does anyone have a good breakfast juice recipe?

To make it clear, I am NOT substituting all my meals with juices. I am only swapping it out for breakfast and this will also mean that I actually have breakfast BEFORE I start work, as opposed to having it DURING work.

Comment

A green smoothie one or a mostly fruit one?

Comment

If you are willing to shell out the money, go for a Vitamix. You'll never look back, and the things you can do with that machine are amazing. I use mine every single day, and hubby makes juice smoothies each morning that includes two whole sticks of celery, and there isn't a single chunk left when its completely blended.
            The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

I'd like to offer up an alternative to a fruit juice smoothie breakfast: a fruit breakfast! I've been eating a bowl of fruit for breakfast just about every day for the last two years, and it's one of the best things I've done for myself. It also helps that I love fruit. Now, you can buy a bunch of whatever fruit you like and chop it up and portion it ahead of time. Or, if you're lazy like me, you can just buy pre-cut, pre-portioned fruit bowls from your local grocery store. My local grocery store has a number of varieties of these, and I usually go with the melon mix, which is canteloupe, honeydew, watermelon, pineapple, strawberries, and red and green grapes. I sometimes opt for the berry blend, which is a lovely assortment of blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries, to which I add some vanilla yogurt. I'd actually go for the berry blend over the melon mix for pure taste (I love berries!), but it is far more expensive than my usual melon mix ($7.99/lb vs $3.99/lb), and that's not even counting the cost of the yogurt.

Pros of a fruit breakfast: an actual sit down snack/meal, and you can taste the various fruits in their natural glory, rather than all blended together; no blender cost or cleanup; and if you opt for the pre-portioned stuff, far less work! (I just buy them a few at a time, and toss the containers when I'm done.)

Pros of a fruit smoothie: still damn tasty, and far more portable. Hell, you can even drink it in the car!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

I haven't used the cup-integrated blenders myself, but I can definitely throw in a raving endorsement for Blendtec. You might have seen them on the Will it Blend videos on youtube and such.

It can reduce golf balls to dust, lol, fruit n ice stands no chance.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post

Pros of a fruit smoothie: still damn tasty, and far more portable. Hell, you can even drink it in the car!
                  I won't be drinking it in a car, this will be so I can take it to work and more or less have breakfast on the run. As it stands, the last time I took my breakfast to work, I found out the hard way that microwavable oats do not work in bowls this big:

(these are childrens bowls from IKEA)

Comment

I often take my bowls of fruit to work with me and eat them as I'm setting up the bar. They come in plastic containers already. The few times I've made my own bowls-o-fruit, I used those handy dandy reusable plastic containers you can buy at the grocery store, made by Glad, Zip-Loc, etc.

Still A Customer."

Comment

My tablet gives this forum tiny text when it's not zoomed in. So I've been reading Blender advice as Slender advice and wondering what kind of rum you give Slendy to make him go away.
                      My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Why would someone go away if you were giving them rum?

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                          Why would someone go away if you were giving them rum?
                          Because it's the Slenderman and we want him to go away and not kill us?

Comment

Just imagine Jester's next post. "Some weird faceless guy came in ordering our best rum..."

/tj
                            Last edited by Tama; 10-09-2014, 05:45 AM.
                            My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

-_-

Well I wound up getting my blender. It has been blending quite nicely for some time now, although I've learned a few things about actually blending stuff:

1) When making a smoothie, only put yoghurt OR milk into the blender, not both.
                              2) Make sure that you crush up the Weet-Bix fully! (the blender kept jamming on the weetbix)
                              3) Frozen raspberries do not need to be defrosted to actually blend. (as long as they're separated from each other they're fine)
                              4) For some reason, raspberries tend to turn my mixture pink-purple regardless of what the ACTUAL ingredients are. O.o
                              5) Do not put icecream and yoghurt in the blender at the same time.
                              6) You can leave skins on the apple when blending.
                              7) It's very "pulpy" is a GOOD sign.

Comment

Working...
                              X