Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A grocery I used to work at carried 'roo meat, but only as frozen 8-ounce filets...$15-20 for two of them (early 90's, when they were still considered extremely exotic, just like out Turduckhens, at the time). I wanted to try them, as I heard they were really good, but, geez...Way out of my price range.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
      A friend of mine made the mistake one time of posting a picture of an adorable, cute little piglet on facebook, with the caption, "Can you imagine eating this little guy?"

I responded simply, "Yes." I was not alone.
      I once took a polaroid of our lambs to the SCA feast they were being eaten at so I could introduce people to their dinner And I can tell people that the one named 'Lambchop' was not named after:
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

In my part of the world there's a Mongolian restaurant chain (you pick your choice of raw ingredients - vegetables, strips of meat, fish, etc. - and they prepare it with your choice of marinade) and apart from the usual kinds of meat like chicken, pork, beef they always offer "exotic" meats like crocodile, kangaroo, ostrich and the likes. It's a great opportunity to taste meat you'll usually have a hard time to come by especially if you don't want to waste a lot of money on a piece of meat and then realize that you don't like it at all after the first (and thus last) bite.
        “If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.”
        ― Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
          For a while, the chain grocery we use had kangaroo meat available at a comparable price to the other meats; and we ate a lot of kangaroo.
          It is a very rich-tasting meat, and takes a bit of experimentation to tweak existing recipes to make them taste right with it. I'd recommend starting with beef recipes, but doing taste tests as you go.
          I've never tasted kangaroo, as I've said, but from all I've heard about it, here and elsewhere, I imagine it would make a damn fine chili.

Quoth Words4theWorld View Post
          ...they always offer "exotic" meats like crocodile, kangaroo, ostrich and the likes.
          As for "exotic" meats, I've had ostrich, alligator, bison, and venison. I know that to a lot of you venison is not necessarily exotic, but I live in Florida, where venison is far more exotic than, say, gator. I look forward to trying rabbit, kangaroo, and other exotic meats. I'm one of those folks that will try just about anything, food wise.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Where I'm from rabbit is about as far from exotic as you can get, it's probably the easiest thing to catch and eat and even more common than venison. I've tried rattlesnake, alligator, ostrich and just about every seafood you can name, never seen kangaroo for sale, but I would try it.
            Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Rattlesnake. I need to try rattlesnake. Thanks for the reminder.

There are very few thing from the sea I've not yet tried.

Still A Customer."

Comment

I do like me some gator and venison (both are easy to get here) Duck and kyoot widdle bunny wabbit, too. Had bison once, but it was overcooked. As for Roo -- from what I'm told, it tastes kinda like a rich, lean cut of beef. I've only ever seen fillets of it, with next to no fat on them, and minimal marbling.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                  I've never tasted kangaroo, as I've said, but from all I've heard about it, here and elsewhere, I imagine it would make a damn fine chili.

As for "exotic" meats, I've had ostrich, alligator, bison, and venison. I know that to a lot of you venison is not necessarily exotic, but I live in Florida, where venison is far more exotic than, say, gator. I look forward to trying rabbit, kangaroo, and other exotic meats. I'm one of those folks that will try just about anything, food wise.
                  I tell you what, next time we hit Key West [if we manage some damned vacation time any time in the near future] I will pick up some roo and grab the rattler out of the freezer and bring it along - you can make the chili. Though rattler is great as nuggets also. [we have eastern rattlers around here and we have to kill them occasionally when they decide to try browsing our poultry babies in spring. Last one was about 4 feet long and an inch and a half around and dressed out to about 1 and a squidge pounds of meat.]
                  EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

You can actually get roo and rattler where you live? That's pretty wild. If this does happen, give me some notice, because I'd love to take some time with the roo chili, both conceptualizing it and cooking it, and I'd have to figure out what I'd do with rattlesnake. That could be fun.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                      ...because I'd love to take some time with the roo chili, both conceptualizing it and cooking it, and I'd have to figure out what I'd do with rattlesnake. That could be fun.
                      Okay, now I'm officially hungry and craving for some chili. Thank you!
                      “If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry.”
                      ― Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                        You can actually get roo and rattler where you live? That's pretty wild. If this does happen, give me some notice, because I'd love to take some time with the roo chili, both conceptualizing it and cooking it, and I'd have to figure out what I'd do with rattlesnake. That could be fun.
                        I drive south through New York, Washington DC and Miami to get to Key West ... along the way I can get pretty much anything legal. And I shop for rattler in my woods or near the chickenhouse..

Comment

So that begs the obvious question of: when are you coming to KW with that meat?

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                            ... I'd have to figure out what I'd do with rattlesnake. That could be fun.
                            This is going to be a long meal...
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                              So that begs the obvious question of: when are you coming to KW with that meat?
                              LOL whenever Rob can get vacation and we have the spare money =)

Unfortunately, life tends to go in cycles - either we have the money and no vacation time, or vacation time and no money. We just had to do all 3 vehicles periodic <mileage> maintenance. On 2 VWs that tends to get expensive because we need them both to stay in warrantee, and that takes servicing by a licensed mechanic. On the momvan, Rob does all the maintenance and just needs to buy the materials.

Comment

Working...
                              X