X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 Creepies Children's Books (NSFW)

http://oddee.com/item_96913.aspx

Some of these are just . . . WOW.

And I think there's one on the list that should have been dedicated to Irv . . .can you guess which one I'm thinking of?
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

i like the one "I will love you forever"
    it looks sweet... pretty much looks like a story explaining to kids that you'll love them even when they screw up, even when they trash the bathroom.

and "if you give a cat a cupcake" ... looks cute. the cover made me laugh.

Comment

How're these creepy? O_o

Most seem pretty on the ball...except for the pot one, imho.

Comment

you know the two books pepper mentioned are good but whats up with the house that crack built and Alfie's Home

Omg i just randomly amazon searched one of the books and this one was on the "people who bought this also bought this" links.

it is wrong in a funny way http://www.amazon.com/Terrible-Thing...ef=pd_sim_b_10
        Last edited by Sliceanddice; 01-25-2010, 03:19 PM.

Comment

None of them are that bad (though Love You Forever makes me gag...I prefer Guess How Much I Love You). I don't think children's authors should shy away from difficult subjects (like conjoined twins!) , kids are much smarter and more canny than most people give them credit for.

Alfie's Home, according to Amazon, is horrific (it actually claims people can change their sexual orientation) but The House That Crack Built actually looks pretty interesting, in making people realize all the ways drug abuse affects people and the ones they love.

If you want something really disturbing, read Der Strewwelpeter...an old German collection of moral stories for kids. In one, this little kid won't stop sucking his thumb so the tailor comes by and cuts his thumbs off. Another little girl plays with matches and gets burned to death. And one kid starved to death because he is a picky eater.

http://www.amazon.com/Struwwelpeter-...0&sr=1-1-spell
          https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
            it looks sweet... pretty much looks like a story explaining to kids that you'll love them even when they screw up, even when they trash the bathroom.
            I find that story really creepy, actually. The kid grows up and mom sneaks into his house to rock him and stuff. Plus my old boss once read it to us in his office. He's kinda creepy to start with. Him reading that story is not a good memory.

and "if you give a cat a cupcake" ... looks cute. the cover made me laugh.
            I love her books. They're really cute. The first one is If You Give a Mouse a Cookie.
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I take offense to If You give a Cat a Cupcake! My family has owned cats, at many times multiple cats, since I was a very small child and I know for a fact that most of these cats would eat anything you put in front of them. Thus, I feel quite certain that at some point in time I gave a cat a cupcake. Possibly several cupcakes were given to several cats. With no ill effects.

Therefore, what's with the fearmongering?
              Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                Alfie's Home, according to Amazon, is horrific (it actually claims people can change their sexual orientation) but The House That Crack Built actually looks pretty interesting, in making people realize all the ways drug abuse affects people and the ones they love.
                That's not really all that surprising, considering the author also wrote:
                http://www.amazon.com/Coming-Out-Str...tt_at_ep_dpi_1
                Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

you know theres a a childrens book that seriously disturbs me, The Back of the North Wind.
                  In a nut shell is about a little boy in Victorian England who slowly dies of some disease, most likely cancer, and as he slow dies he starts talking to a wonderful beacon of death. at one point he visits the afterworld and is really in a coma. and to end it all?
                  he dies in bed at like age 10.

Comment

Quoth hauntedheadnc View Post
                    I take offense to If You give a Cat a Cupcake! My family has owned cats, at many times multiple cats, since I was a very small child and I know for a fact that most of these cats would eat anything you put in front of them. Thus, I feel quite certain that at some point in time I gave a cat a cupcake. Possibly several cupcakes were given to several cats. With no ill effects.

Therefore, what's with the fearmongering?
                    Have you read any of the "If you give a ... a ..." books? They start off innocently enough, but then ... BOOM! It just snowballs from there.

LIke in "If you give a mouse a cookie", the mouse will want milk, then he'll want a mirror to see if he has milk moustache and then he'll see he needs to cut his hair, and then he does, and then he cleans your house, etc., etc. Nope, you can't give animal anything 'cos then they'll want to do a whole bunch of other stuffs and will make you exhausted.

It's all comedic. My daughter LOVES the books!

Comment

Quoth idrinkarum View Post

Have you read any of the "If you give a ... a ..." books? They start off innocently enough, but then ... BOOM! It just snowballs from there.
                      Yes, I have and like I said, it's all a bunch of needless fearmongering. I've personally given cupcakes to cats with nothing so outlandish occurring as what the book described. Come to think of it, considering that I used to live beside a farm where leftover food was fed to pigs, it is not out of the question that pancakes were fed to pigs on at least one occasion.

And of course you know I'm totally kidding here... Except for having fed cupcakes to cats. That definitely happened.
                      Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

One of my fave books as a child was a collection of Charles Perrault fairy tales. Forget the watered down Disney ones; these are the real thing.

Oh, and Cracked did an article on this, too: http://www.cracked.com/blog/10-great...their-children

I actually found a youtube reading of Latawnya, The Naughty Horse; and it really is as bad as Cracked says. O_o
                        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                          And I think there's one on the list that should have been dedicated to Irv . . .can you guess which one I'm thinking of?
                          I bet it's The Gas We Pass.

I have actually read that book. It was (counts on fingers) 12 years ago when I was doing my required-to-graduate community service at the local public library. My job there was to alphabetize carts of books that had just been returned, and occasionally to re-shelve them.

So I'm sitting there, shuffling books around, I come across The Gas We Pass, and think "Gee, somebody actually wrote a children's book about farting? This I gotta see."

So I flipped through it quick without being caught.

True story.
                          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                            I have that one; my mom read it to me all the time when I was little. The story is sweet, but now that I think about it, it's kind of creepy: The mother rocks her boy to sleep as a baby, a toddler, and even clambers up his window and rocks him when he's a grown man.
                            "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

My BIL gave my boys Everybody Poops. And actually they love it! Although I find it a little weird, but if it helps them get potty trained then I'm all for it.
                              It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. -Office space

Comment

Working...
                              X