This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scs push owner over the edge!

Watch the video it explains everything about the sign and the new kinder sign he put up.

http://cheezburger.com/8328386560

You know, this "gluten free" thing, fad, whatever you want to call it, is quite the interesting phenomenon.

I was at the grocery store a couple of weeks back, and noticed that some product said "Gluten Free" on it. I pointed it out to my wife, and she said, "Oh, that's always been gluten free..."

I forget what the product was, but I found it amusing that companies are now using "gluten free" as part of their marketing/advertising.

I'm waiting to see a bottle of water with "Gluten Free" written on it...
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
      The one that always tickles me is the huge "0 Trans Fats" on Lays(?) potato chips.
      Never mind the gram and a half or so of saturated fat.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
        The one that always tickles me is the huge "0 Trans Fats" on Lays(?) potato chips.
        Never mind the gram and a half or so of saturated fat.
        Trans fats are actually worse for you, so that's truth in advertising.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Good for him!

Comment

Loved the bit about switching to "organic MSG"!

Judging from the original sign, I'd bet the trouble customers weren't exactly asking him nicely about being gluten-free. They were probably the Drama Queen Picky Eaters who just have to proclaim about how speshul they are because of their diets. (Yes, I have dealt with that type before. )
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Musical interlude, appropos:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
              I AGREE
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                Ask and you shall receive!

"Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

I can sympathize with the restaurant owner. If you don't want MSG, going to an American/Chinese restaurant is not your best choice.

My mom and some of my cousins have a range of gluten intolerances (Celiac disease runs in my mom's side of the family) and they all have educated themselves and generally know what they can and can not eat. For most Chinese restaurants it's as simple as asking for sauces that don't use soy and avoiding anything that is breaded.

Funny thing too, Gluten Free isn't necessarily healthier in any way.

Comment

I despise the whole gluten thing for a couple reasons. Chief among them is the simple fact that I know dozens of people with "gluten allergies." Why do I put that in quotations? Because every single one of them has miraculously self diagnosed this condition. I give one of them endless levels of shit since she has an "onion" allergy, but she eats a ton of Indian food.

You know, that stuff that's filled with onions, which are fucking delicious?

I've yet to meet someone in person who has a "gluten allergy" who's actually been diagnosed with this by a doctor. It's always someone who had a tummy ache after a meal, and decided to blame the bread.
                    "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
                    "What IS fun to fight through?"
                    "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                      I was at the grocery store a couple of weeks back, and noticed that some product said "Gluten Free" on it. I pointed it out to my wife, and she said, "Oh, that's always been gluten free..."
                      This was at a local film festival over the summer....

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Quoth KhirasHY View Post

I've yet to meet someone in person who has a "gluten allergy" who's actually been diagnosed with this by a doctor. It's always someone who had a tummy ache after a meal, and decided to blame the bread.
                        Unless you've got Celiac's you DO NOT have a gluten issue - there is a related acronym (FODMAP) that is apparently the cause of the bloated feeling in non-celiac sufferers, but it's not actually the gluten that does it. But sheeple will follow the latest trends

Comment

There's a really interesting study going on right now about an additive that is put in all wheat products, including raw flour, in north America, that is not used in Europe or asia (not sure about Australia). Preliminary results are that this additive is responsible for bloating and other symptoms that people who claim gluten intolerance/allergy are feeling. If that additive is responsible, and becomes banned, in the next ten years or so you could see the number of people who are not Ceiliac and who claim gluten intolerance all but disappear.
                          Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

I think I'd go eat at that guy's restaurant just to show my support of his actions. Good for him!
                            At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

NC, could you PM me that additive?

Comment

Working...
                              X