This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How the market became Super Market!

Today while I was shopping, I heard someone over the loudspeaker call for hazmat cleanup in the frozen food aisle. So... what kind of hazmat could there be? Some kind of industrial coolant that runs the freezers? Someone broke a glass door and bled everywhere? I hope blood/puke/etc. would be considered hazmat.

Grocery workers, have you ever had a hazmat incident in the store?

Bodily fluids generally require hazmat cleanup; we have special kits for that in my mall. I've never heard it announced over a loudspeaker though; it should have had a special code to avoid panic. Corosive chemicals too might count, like maybe a bottle of drano broke.
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Yes, you definitely would think they'd have a code for that, good grief, half the store would empty out, it's like saying "Irv, small fire in aisle two".

(Now I have the grocery store scene from Mr. Mom running thru my head).

Madness takes it's toll....
      Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Merriweather View Post
        "Irv, small fire in aisle two".
        Given recent developments, it might not surprise me all that much to hear that over the swamp's PA. ~_~
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

They used to call it a "Code Brown" when somebody took a dump anywhere but the bathrooms in Sam's Club & we in maintenance had to clean that shit up....lol.

Comment

We've had spills of nearly every kind at the Little Shop of Horrors.
            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

A broken bottle of bleach and a broken bottle of ammonia in the same aisle would be definitely hazmat. Possibly even 'evacuate the store', depending on how much chlorine gas was produced.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Last week, someone spilled a bottle of bleach in the cleaning aisle. On my way to tell the FEM about it, I noted that the bottles of bleach are stocked right next to the ammonia-based items O_o

When I left four hours later it had still not been cleaned up; the most someone had done was put a caution sign up.
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

My first thought would be that a small child either had an accident or got sick, but then again that's probably just because those are the two most common hazmat situations at my job.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                    A broken bottle of bleach and a broken bottle of ammonia in the same aisle would be definitely hazmat. Possibly even 'evacuate the store', depending on how much chlorine gas was produced.
                    "Mummy, why does it smell like really strong swimming pools in here?"

"...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                      <shudders> My chem teacher used to tell horror stories of women he knew who killed themselves that way. Terrified me bad enough that I now keep the ammonia in a downstairs room, and the bleach upstairs.
                      By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Yeah, the thought of that makes me shudder. I mixed them once, and it only took once to learn the lesson. Talk about a headache!
                        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I wish I could get more people to take the threat seriously. People used to laugh at me when I'd mop up a spill in the chemical isle that I couldn't identify with clean water, no chemcials.

But it's better to be safe than kill everyone in the store with a toxic chemical admixture. At least, I thought so . . .
                          Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

The cleaning people at the swamp used to like to clean the bathrooms by bleaching the bejesus out of them.

Made taking a leak right after they were finished quite interesting. ~_<
                            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

The original manager at Mom and Pop Pizza Shop when I worked there 20 years ago was closing one night...I don't think he usually did but someone else must have called out or something. Anyway, it was just him and me cleaning up...and suddenly he comes running from the pizza prep table in the back, flailing his arms and hollering. I was like What's wrong??? He said he'd been cleaning the table with bleach and then accidentally put some ammonia on it (likely what I'd have been using to clean the floor with, but I really doubt I put the bottle anywhere near him). So he created his own poison cloud. That guy was a piece of work...
                              "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X