This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somethin' is screwy here.

As I counted my drawer tonight, I discovered it was ~$170.00 over.

I found ~$70.00 in a previous shifts accounts (they didn't close their shift before they left).

So where did the $100.00 come from?

SC
    "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

ack!

Ninety I could understand - someone gave a hundred and got change for a ten. (Sucks, but it happens.) But a nice even hundred? Maybe management upped the float and didn't mention it?
    Know how you feel - being over is as bad as being under. Hope you get it figgered.

Comment

It could be a test to see if someone would pocket the extra. I used to have a boss that would do this to everyone just to see if we would take it. The problem was that we would get in trouble if it was short or over so he was making a big problem for us when he would do that.

Comment

You'd think if you ripped someone off for that much that they'd notice...

The only other thing I can think of would be if someone issued a refund in the computer, but never forked over the dough?

I dunno. An even hundred over is weird.
        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Did you have any pick-ups during the day? (when management takes a certain amount of money from the drawer, usually when you have too much in it), if so they might have counted wrong.
          Either way I hope you get it figured out.

Comment

It's probably some simple mistake like not logging a pickup or something. But yeah--nerve-wracking.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
              It's probably some simple mistake like not logging a pickup or something. But yeah--nerve-wracking.
              That was it! Someone did not post the Cash paid for a room to the room, even though they took it in. That was $70 of it.

The other $30 was my fault.

The Bar proceeds are processed through the FD. I misremembered how much the Door took in (I thought $45, and it was $75) and posted it into the computer wrong.

SC
              "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Glad you finally got it figured out!
                Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I always hated it when my drawer didn't balance. I wasn't OCD, but more than a couple cents would make me crazy. It's good I don't work in retail now.
                  Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                  HR believes the first person in the door
                  Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                  Document everything
                  CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth Arcus View Post
                    It could be a test to see if someone would pocket the extra. I used to have a boss that would do this to everyone just to see if we would take it. The problem was that we would get in trouble if it was short or over so he was making a big problem for us when he would do that.
                    My company has (or used to have) a procedure for doing something similar.

It was called an integrity shop. I never saw one carried out but had it described to me. Basically, if LP suspected an employee might be less than full in the honesty department, they would cobble together a scenario in which the targeted employee would wind up alone and with the opportunity to pocket some unaccounted-for cash.

If they took the bait, their employment with the company would be over, and they'd possibly be facing charges.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

You have the same money fairies we do! Usually though it has to do with out "stellar" manager "forgetting" she left too much in the till.

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                      My company has (or used to have) a procedure for doing something similar.

It was called an integrity shop. I never saw one carried out but had it described to me. Basically, if LP suspected an employee might be less than full in the honesty department, they would cobble together a scenario in which the targeted employee would wind up alone and with the opportunity to pocket some unaccounted-for cash.

If they took the bait, their employment with the company would be over, and they'd possibly be facing charges.
                      I was with a company that would do it a little differently but same basic premise. They would put you on stock or some other shift instead of being on register but make sure they had a time and scenario said up during the day where said suspect would be on the register with the opportunity. Seems legit.
                      Last edited by Etna; 03-20-2012, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X