This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everything in ALL CAPS

I have always wondered why retailers almost always use ALL CAPS FIXED WIDTH FONTS IN EVERY POSSIBLE SITUATION. I can understand fixed width fonts, but why must they use ALL CAPS?

In back room information and product stickers, particularly the ones with long descriptions are much harder to read. Recently my company started switching more and more product stickers to all caps, and everyone hates it. For example say...

Fried Chicken Wings 8ct looks much better then FRIED CHICKEN WINGS 8CT.

I don't like reading signs like that either. Usually I'll just bypass the signs altogether and go to what is on my list only or I'm just getting my usual lunch box fixings.

Comment

Because it's VITALLY FUCKING IMPORTANT THAT THE STORES KNOW THE RED BLANKET GOES IN FRONT OF THE BLUE BLANKET REMEMBER ROY G BIV!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also note the superfluous exclamation points at the end. My company is especially good for that when communicating trivial things via e-mail.

As for caps on shelf labels, I personally find it easier to read.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

There's scientific studies that prove it's easier on the eye to read continuous text in same-case as opposed to Capitalising Every Word Unnecessarily Like This (reading that phrase back genuinely causes me physical discomfort). Whether that stream of characters is all-caps, all-lower, or "written properly" is generally not important. Fixed-width probably counteracts a little of the ease on the eye due to the improper kerning, but if it's self-consistant then it can be adapted to and accounted for.

From a literacy point of view, capitals are usually more distinct & less varied, so it ensures accessability by the greatest number of readers.
        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Haha, sorry, I prefer caps, too. It's easier to read.

Also, I have a few people that when I talk to them online, they want me to use all caps so they can read it without too much strain (they have poor eyesight, sadly).

If I'm writing a sign by hand for work, the main stuff is caps and the fine print is regular (mostly because I get lazy at that point).

Comment

I don't find either way easier than the other. But all caps does look like yelling.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Maybe I should send these retailers my seditious Caps Lock and Shift keys. Get those rebellious keys out of my hair.

that's right, i'm talking about you. oh i see how it is, i threaten to get rid of you and you start refusing to work again/ we'll see who gets the last laugh1

8shakes fist in anger at uncooperative keyboards8
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

As a coder who has worked with inventory systems I can tell you that restricting case can prevent all sorts of stupid problems. For instance, what happens to your inventory management when there are entries for both "Fried Chicken Wings" and "Fried Chicken wings"?

There are methods to prevent that sort of problem from cascading, but it can really complicate the code.

Comment

Ok, that reminds me of this. I have no idea who approved this, but every time I see it on a police car around here...ugggghhh..

Comment

Baltimore Police.. Looks like they're going for the Mary Tyler Moore font.

I hate reading all caps, but sometimes it is necessary. With some fonts, the word "BURN" in lowercase looks like "bum".

Comment

Holy crap, you're right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peignot_(typeface)

I hate the mixed cases.
                      Last edited by Lachrymose; 03-22-2012, 12:58 AM.

Comment

@Lachrymose: dammit. I totally didn't notice that but the next time I see a police car (probably tomorrow when I get home from my vacay) I'll notice. And I live in the ghetto so I see police cars all the time!
                        Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                        Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
                          For instance, what happens to your inventory management when there are entries for both "Fried Chicken Wings" and "Fried Chicken wings"?

There are methods to prevent that sort of problem from cascading, but it can really complicate the code.
                          Encapsulate your string comparisons in a purpose-written function that neutralises case?
                          Seshat's self-help guide:
                          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                          X