This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You're hired, but you're not allowed to come to work

So, before I dive in, this is going to take quite a bit of background information, so grab some beer and cookies and settle in.

I just hired someone who we'll call Maggie (she kinda looks like a Maggie, anyway). Now, years and years ago, Maggie was one of the drugged-out "cockroaches" who would linger around the motel, mess up our rooms, bring unwanted traffic to the motel...you get the picture. She'd sneak around the property with her hoodie up so we couldn't see it was her (though we totally could) while she went about her "business". Her and her "friends" were not people we wanted around, and we kicked many of them off the property at one point or another, including Maggie.

Well, the law finally caught up with her. She went to jail, went to rehab, all that jazz. She slipped up a few times, but each time picked herself up to become well again. She now has a kid. She's now sober. I don't want to write out her entire biography, as that would be a novel, so I'll leave you with this Youtube video that I think gives you the gist of things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP3MFBzMH2o

Which brings us to today. Maggie needed a job. Maggie is CW's sister-in-law, for all intents and purposes (Maggie and CW's brother haven't officially tied the knot, but they might as well at this point). Maggie is also friends with Other MOD. As such, while I don't know Maggie too well, I know enough to know she's been kicking ass lately, she has a truly awesome support network, and though after reading the above you may find me crazy, I'm confident enough in her to hire her and give her the chance. Also, Other MOD told me to hire her, and I trust Other MOD's judgement in this matter. Other MOD is plenty capable of tough love, and she cares about the motel first, so if she says Maggie's good to be hired, then by golly Maggie is good to be hired.

Needless to say, Maggie was so happy when I hired her. She sounded like she was about to cry when I called her in for an interview. I didn't tell her then that she pretty much already had the job. I figured she could sweat it out a bit. For the interview, I basically gave her some details on the position, and asked if she still wanted it. Boom. Done. CW said she's flipping out on Facebook; she's so stoked about being hired!

Now, today, I was cleaning out Boss Man's crap from the office, and I came to one of his many stacks of business cards. We have one of those little wire shelf/drawer desk organizer things, and he had so many friggin' business cards stuffed in the top shelf, the sides had actually bowed out, and business cards had fallen down and wedged themselves between the shelves/drawers, and the sides of the organizer.

One of these cards that I finally fished out, which had clearly been stuck back there for a while, was from our city's finest. On it was a faded case number, and the words "Lifetime Trespass". I flipped it over, and on the back were written four names and dates of birth.

The last name on that list stood out in particular. It was Maggie's name!

My reaction, as follows:

....oops! I found it hilarious! (I was also a little nuts from cleaning.)

I showed the card to CW.

Me: "You have to check this out!"
    CW:
    Me: "CW, I just hired someone who's not allowed to be on the property!" "How did I do that?"
    CW: "...can you call the police and have them reverse it? I mean, it's not like we're going to call her in..."
    Me: "I am saving this card forever. OMG, Other MOD is going to get a kick out of this! This is too funny!"

I knew we'd kicked Maggie off property a few times during those years, but none of us remembered actually issuing a trespass to her! And apparently, she doesn't remember, either. It was a long time ago, after all.

On one hand, I feel like I should call the PD and see if it can be reversed. Even though we won't call her in, I have this fear that something will happen at the motel, and she'll have to give her name in a statement, and somewhere in The Systemâ„¢, there will be connections made and she'll get in trouble. But on the other hand, what if for some reason I call PD up, and they can't do anything? I know both those fears are irrational, but they're things I think about.

Also, calling up PD means I have to explain why I hired a person who's been banned from the property, which means they'll either laugh at me, or lock me up on a psychiatric hold, or both. This...is going to be a fun one to explain to them.

....I still find this whole thing messed up and hilarious!
    Last edited by bhskittykatt; 03-25-2012, 12:28 AM.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

I think if you just explain to the police that this person paid their debt to society and you are willing to take that into consideration and want the lifetime trespass removed.

Comment

Quoth Sandman View Post
      I think if you just explain to the police that this person paid their debt to society and you are willing to take that into consideration and want the lifetime trespass removed.
      ...I like how you word that. It makes it sound less crazy.
      Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I'm sure that something like this is the kind of thing the PD would love to hear about. Most of the time they see people like Maggie as kids and know that chances are they will end up dead. To find out that one of them turned her life around could be the just the thing that makes their day.

Comment

Quoth Arcus View Post
          I'm sure that something like this is the kind of thing the PD would love to hear about. Most of the time they see people like Maggie as kids and know that chances are they will end up dead. To find out that one of them turned her life around could be the just the thing that makes their day.
          I agree. A friend is married to a probation officer. Many of his clients are frequent fliers, but when he manages to turn someone around, it makes his week.

Comment

Working...
          X