This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog crate suggestions?

Recently, I finally managed to get the parents to let me make Strider an indoor dog, he's six years old and has spent most of that outside in a large kennel with concrete. There have been zero potty issues with him, it's like he knows this is where he lives and eats and sleeps and that it's not ok to poop or pee in here. He also isn't shy about claiming whatever chair or couch he wants, when he wants, and you literally have to drag him out of it But I digress.

Our real issue is thunderstorms and leaving the house. Now, we can't put him in his outdoor pen anymore because he just keeps climbing out of it! Last time he climbed out, he tore up his elbow really bad, which is how he ended up inside to begin with, because we were afraid of what he'd injure next. We've tried putting a top on it and everything, he always just either tears the top off or squashes himself through what little space there is. As he gets older, he is developing an ever-worsening fear of storms. He pants heavily, paces, climbs on people, and trembles, there really is no consoling him. We put him in my bathroom one night (before I was sure I could trust him not to poop my carpet or chew my books), and he pulled all my stuff down off the counter. Another time we went shopping and put him in my Mom's bathroom instead, and when we came back, he'd pulled down the shower rod and shredded both the curtain and liner. My little dog does well with a crate, he goes in there when he's scared or feeling insecure and it helps him a lot. Strider is a little short of 50 pounds and with his tendency of destroying things when he's frightened, will need a metal crate. Does anyone suggest any particular brands? I want something he can't destroy, but also that is safe. I'd like one that folds away, too, since I don't plan on keeping him in it except during storms and when we need to leave.

Otherwise, he's the perfect housedog and has made the adjustment, in Dad's opinion, WAY too easily
    Attached Files
    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

I can't really suggest brands, but I can suggest leaving it open for him all the time. It becomes his spot, his place to go to be safe. Don't fold it away, because then the association will be made that something to fear is coming, and he won't go in it. Leave it out, let him use it whenever he wishes, and close the door only when you need to. He'll be happier for it.

Comment

Would it matter if it stays in the same room all the time? We'd probably primarily keep it in the living room, but he sleeps in my room at night, and if there's a storm it'll have to be in there or he'll be in the bed stepping on me all night.

Comment

No that will be better for him...his safe spot being consistent. Petsmart has some nice, big crates

Comment

See if you can't find a nice thick horse blanket to put over it in the winter and a sun blocking sheet in the summer. That way your guy will have a nice dark "cave or den" to hide in.

Comment

Once you get the crate, start feeding him in it. Toss the occasional really yummy treat in there as well. He'll get the idea that the crate is where good things come from.

As far as size, you want the crate big enough for him to stand up, turn around, and lie down in. The wire fold up ones are great and easier to transport than the plastic snap together ones. Go to PetSmart or a similar store to get an idea of what's available. Check Craigslist as well, but if you buy second hand, make sure you clean and disinfect it really well.
            I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Have you tried the thunder shirt? We live in a monsoon area and my dog trainer recommends the thunder shirt for dogs that have an increasing fear of storms. I have a crate for my 40lb dog, it is the largest that pets mart sells and we have it set up so the crate leads out to the dog door into a small covered yard. Our pup doesn't fear thunder but the thundar shirt is comforting during stressful times.

Comment

Quoth Pedersen View Post
                I can't really suggest brands, but I can suggest leaving it open for him all the time. It becomes his spot, his place to go to be safe. Don't fold it away, because then the association will be made that something to fear is coming, and he won't go in it. Leave it out, let him use it whenever he wishes, and close the door only when you need to. He'll be happier for it.
                This. Our "crate" is really a large dog-carrier because our dog isn't that big, and we really try to plan our trips without her to minimize her crate-time.

We attached a water bowl to the inside of the crate and soon afterwards we saw her nudge the door open (it wasn't closed) and start drinking. Since then we've made a point to keep that bowl full, and the door tied open with yarn (unless she's inside it) so she can access the water. She prefers only having to walk a couple of steps to her water, vs having to go all the way to the kitchen.

We also figured out, to her the crate means "safe". So if she's being yelled at for destroying the blinds or something else (which doesn't happen often really) she runs inside the crate and stays.

And now, she's a bit easier about going in the crate when we go out. We've been going to zumba so we usually toss a treat in that she likes (nothing too big) and she doesn't make a fuss about going in after it. she'll still act like she hasn't seen us for a year when we get home, but she goes in the crate on her own now.

Comment

Our dogs are fully crate trained. We simply have to say "time to go to bed" and they race each other down the hall to get into their crate first. It's a safe spot, and they know it, and like it.

One thing about crate training: Praise the dog when it goes in the crate. And never violate that crate. No matter what the dog has done, never reach inside to smack it, never direct anger at it, nothing. When it's inside the crate, it is safe. Make sure you reinforce that with you, with your family and friends, and never deviate. It will reinforce the training that the crate is safe.

I'll second the recommendation for the thunder shirt. One of our dogs gets easily stressed out, and the shirt seriously helps her. She's calmer, and happier, while wearing it. When I asked our vet about it, she told us that it helps around 50% of all the dogs that get one, so it's not a panacea, but it could be helpful to you.
                  Last edited by Pedersen; 08-28-2012, 03:42 PM.

Comment

I thought about the thundershirt, but they're pretty expensive. During storms I do put a boy's t-shirt on him and it seems to help him some, but I think having his own dark, safe place would be benificial. Right now, when we leave the house, he is loose in the yard and doesn't stay in the fence, so he could easily get hit or stolen

Comment

My Siberian mix is cave trained as well. I actually had to retrain him to to use it to potty in when we got him because at that time, he was seldom out of a crate. We ended up getting rid of the one he came with and got a hard plastic one for him. He loves it to pieces. I just have to say the word cave and he goes right to it. When we go to my in laws place, he has even found a place there to call his cave. He goes under the flight cage in the living room and that is his space.

Make sure that is is his space only. If he chooses to share with the little dog, that if fine. I would be careful about putting food or water in the crate so as to keep any possibility of pest infestation down. Other than that, put his favorite blanket in there and leave it as a safe place to hide in. You will find that he will be a lot better and less apt to destroy things. Also, call his vet and ask about sedation during storms only. We have to sedate my in laws dog when there are thunder storms or fireworks. Otherwise the poor boy tries to put his 165 lbs Great Pyrenees body into the bath tub or behind the toilet.m

Comment

Regarding thunder shirts and the like: it doesn't have to be something 'professionally made' and expensive.

My dog started making 'comfort nests' for herself out of my husband's dressing gown and the lap rugs we keep on the couch. So now, whenever there's a storm or a fireworks event coming, we start a nest: she knows something might happen to distress her and climbs onto the couch, and nests up.

One of our cats dens in the dirty clothes basket when in distress.

I think in both cases, it's the smell: the dressing gown, the lap rugs, and the dirty clothes all smell like "family", and are a comfortable, soft object.

(No, we've never had to worry about them pissing, pooing, or damaging the things - they just arrange them to their liking and go to sleep.)

If you want to make a garment to put on your animal: cut down an existing garment that smells like their favourite person. An old t-shirt or something. Or if you have a Great Pyraneese or some such, sew two or more garments together. :P
                        Last edited by Seshat; 09-02-2012, 09:42 PM.
                        Seshat's self-help guide:
                        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                        X