This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deviant Art pet peeves

I get requests on DeviantArt (nevermind that it says I don't do requests on my profile page) from people that go along the lines of "I can't pay you, but will you draw such-and-such for me for the recognition?"

You don't take your car to the mechanic and say "I need the tires rotated and the oil changed. I can't pay you but I'll tell everyone you're great!" Why do people seem to think it's perfectly okay to do that to artists? Ggaaahhh!!!!

Don't even get me started on people who beg for points.....
    I question my sanity every day. Sometimes it answers.

Ahahaha I noticed your page plastered with "No Requests!" and "Don't Ask For Points"!!! My only guess would be that the person has selective reading disorder.
    Answers: $1
    Correct Answers: $2
    Answers that require thought: $5
    Dumb looks are still free.

Comment

Quoth Kisa View Post
      Ahahaha I noticed your page plastered with "No Requests!" and "Don't Ask For Points"!!! My only guess would be that the person has selective reading disorder.
      You'd be surprised at how many people don't notice them and then get flustered with me when I reply with "Which one of the five stamps and banners that read DO NOT ASK FOR POINTS/I DO NOT DO REQUESTS did you not understand?"

Comment

Maybe a new sign labelled "Unless you are an A-list celebrity, you are a nobody and a portrait of you amounts to less than the materials."

Just a thought as I would imagine you would love to do drawings of some A-List celebs.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
          "Unless you are an A-list celebrity, you are a nobody and a portrait of you amounts to less than the materials."

I'll just stick to telling them they can't read.

Comment

We have a running joke in our house when we see something expensive that we want. "If you give us one for free, we'll tell everybody how great it is! Free advertising!"

But we would never actually ask for anything free...
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

My usual thought about this is in general how young the DA user base is, and a lot of kids (Yeah, I know. Nobody under 13 allowed on DA. Bullcrap.) either don't read, or don't pay attention. Just ignore them. They're just trying to see what they can get away with.
              "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

You know... for fun, you could draw a stickman, and everytime someone requests something email them a jpg of it. You know, for the recognition of it.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                  We have a running joke in our house when we see something expensive that we want. "If you give us one for free, we'll tell everybody how great it is! Free advertising!"

But we would never actually ask for anything free...

either that or everyone else decides to ask for freebies too.

and i agree... if the idiots aren't bothering to acknowledge the "no" banners in the first place than putting new ones up won't change anything. Now if you could make a banner that actually reaches a hand out from the monitor to slap them every time they think of asking for freebies... That might work.

But until then... you just can't fix stupid.

(side note: been away from DA for so long I now have to look up to see what these "points" are )
                  Update: o god no wonder people ask for points. WTF? Apparently DA actually SUGGESTS it. Almost as bad as those noobs in SL that beg for "Linden" or SL jobs.
                  Last edited by PepperElf; 08-14-2012, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post

Now if you could make a banner that actually reaches a hand out from the monitor to slap them every time they think of asking for freebies... That might work.

(side note: been away from DA for so long I now have to look up to see what these "points" are )
                    Update: o god no wonder people ask for points. WTF? Apparently DA actually SUGGESTS it. Almost as bad as those noobs in SL that beg for "Linden" or SL jobs.
                    I want so badly to somehow invent a monitor with a boxing glove on a spring in it so that anyone can push a button and punch a jerk in the face. People won't be so arrogantly confident in their anonymity if they know they can get PUNCHED for it.

Also, good job DA... promoting beggars. Really?
                    My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                    It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Update: o god no wonder people ask for points. WTF? Apparently DA actually SUGGESTS it.
                      Yup, give the entitled twats more reasons to act entitled.

Comment

Now if you could make a banner that actually reaches a hand out from the monitor to slap them every time they think of asking for freebies... That might work.

But until then... you just can't fix stupid.
                        Or a banner that lives up to its name, detects someone acting like an EW, and bans them from posting on DA.

BTW, you can "fix" stupid - unfortunately, vets are (understandably) reluctant to work on humans.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

What I hate on dA is the group of idiots who think that posting "this is crap" counts as constructive criticism. I don't have much on my dA; just some creative writing, some poems, some crappy comics and some dolls, but I've still had that kind of moron posting their drivel. I don't even bother replying; just delete and block.

I also had a deranged Ryu fangirl bitch at me cuz I dared to write Streetfighter fanfic that showed her precious Ryu getting a beatdown by Vega (Claw). Her logic was that "Vega can never beat Ryu!1!!1eleventy!" I just posted back "Yeah, in your opinion," and blocked her. XD Immature, yes, but she started it. XD

Regarding freebees; well, my friend will sometimes draw something for me, but I'll always try and do something for her in return, like make her an avvie or a doll. Once she drew something for me after someone on Gaia asked me who'd drawn my sig pic and requested a drawing. I asked my friend, she agreed to do it as a one off. Sometimes, it depends how the request is worded. This person was nothing but polite, and didn't badger me. So they got a freebee. Whereas someone who is rude and demanding is going to get sod all.
                          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                          My DeviantArt.

Comment

I'd be the type to reply with, "Why, yes, your "criticism" is crap. Perhaps you should try to be less juvenile and put some effort into your comments."

Then again, I'm the sort to tease the trolls and highlight their evident lack of intelligence.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Here's another pet peeve:

Group founders whose tiny shred of power go straight to their heads and they seem to think they're the curator of the Louvre.

Comment

Working...
                              X