X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
    "Then what good is using a check anymore?"
    Exactly! ^_^

I almost feel out of place with regards to checks; our ancient machines can't fill them out, and I'm tired of people asking about that. You brought that accursed thing with you, you fill it out! And of course they have to ask for a pen because they didn't bring one...

Apparently we're losing our Rite-Aid and getting in a Walgreens. What's that annoying sound Sideshow Bob makes?
    "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
      You don't actually have to accept a handful of change. Heck, you aren't actually legally required to accept change at all, if you really don't want to. I think there should be some moritorium on any change payment that contains more than 100 coins. 100 coins is a good handful, but can be counted fairly easily. More than that, and you should be hitting Coinstar or going to the bank.

^-.-^
      we were required to accept change (lots of it at times)

there were several address that all us drivers know about that are notorius for paying for large pizza orders with loose change. ya know 5 single dollar bills and like $27 in change (someitmes in quarters but 1 or 2 addresses paid in FUNKING PENNIES ALL PENNIES I have personaly got $6 in pennies). the really bad thing was 1) tyhe manager made us take the money and 2) they NEVER EVER TIPPED NO (no I take that back I usually got 5 cents for a tip because they were too stoned to count correctly).

then at the gas station I had one customer who literally paid for his gas with $8 in loose pennies (would ahve not been so bas if they were rolled but they were loose). this guy must have turned his car upside down and inside out looking for pennies. must have been desperate for gas

why OH WHO can not these people search their couches and pockets/purses or changes jars and GO TO COINSTAR or their bank (who will do change exchange for FEREEEEEEEEEE)
      Last edited by Racket_Man; 06-15-2007, 01:51 AM.
      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

The ones I got just threw a fit because, "Then what good is using a check anymore?"
        Presumably these people use cheques because they depend on the three business days or so for them to clear?

Since the advent of the debit card, I would say the only remaining appeal of cheques is that they allow people to kite them.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

"Then what good is using a check anymore?" *whine whine whine*
          GAH! Bleh, there IS NO good reason to use a check in a store anymore. I probably use about two checks in a six month period, and those are for donations, or doctor bills, or some other thing that does not have an online payment method. If I could completely eliminate checks, I would. They are a thing of the past.

There is a commercial in my area, I believe its for Visa, that shows a Garden Center full of customers using their Visa card. Everything is running smoothly like a ballet... until the lady with the check reaches the counter. Suddenly, the sun disappears from the sky, the line crashes to a halt, and everything is stopped until she is finished. When she leaves, the music starts again, the sun reappears and all is smooth flowing again.

Comment

Me too...i use may 10 checks per year....pay all my bills online...even my rent comes out electronically.

I've seen another variation on that commercial; its a cafe, and everything is moving like an assembly line/factory, and one guy gets up and pays with cash...and same thing, the whole process comes to a screetching halt....

Comment

Well, checks are pretty outdated... except for me. I have an ATM card that isn't backed by Visa or Mastercard or anything like that. So if the store I'm at doesn't take ATM cards (most don't) and I want to pay from my bank account, it's gonna have to be a check. And yes, it royally sucks. But I don't need another credit card in my wallet, thank you very much. I usually avoid paying by check, and if I know I'm going to go buy something, I will try to withdraw the cash, but I would have to pay the withdrawal fee for using another banks atm 9 times out of 10. So a check would just be cheaper at that point.
              Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
              Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
              The Office

Comment

I was the one who brought up my hatred of customers with excessive change. The only time it really annoys me is if we're having a rush or it's close to the end of the shift when I keep my drawer counted as low as possible so I don't have so much to count for the final drop. Otherwise, change is really not too big of a deal to me because people are always wanting quarters for the laundromat/car wash across the street, the payphone outside, the air machines or something like that. The main reason I'll go ahead and accept the excess change is because it saves me from constantly buying it from the safe.

People expecting me to make change without a purchase are much more annoying to me, and I usually make up an excuse not to do it unless they wish to make a reasonable purchase. No, a 30-cent pack of gum to break a $100 bill into smaller change does not qualify as a reasonable purchase, and will probably still get you told no just out of spite by that time. Even if I am so inclined as to oblige you, a rotten attitude on your part may keep you from getting the exact denominations you want, again, just out of spite. Don't play with me, I'm a scorpio, which means I'm prone to a bad temper and a sadistic mean streak if I don't like you. Just ask our regulars who find my tactics to deter SCs hilarious. Thank goodness my manager is willing to overlook the complaints from the idiots, and even encourage us to seek vengeance on some of them.
                The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
                  Presumably these people use cheques because they depend on the three business days or so for them to clear?

Since the advent of the debit card, I would say the only remaining appeal of cheques is that they allow people to kite them.
                  In my state, ANY written check can be processed as an e-check...withdrawn from your account the same day. We're not allowed to take post-dated checks for any reason at my store.

I wish my store had check printers. I've had a lady sign a blank check and try to hand it to me, then curse at me and tell ME (not the store!) to get with the times, EVERYWHERE has check printers, and how dare I force her to have to write the check out manually. (She then had to borrow--and walked off with--my pen.)
                  It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

What I don't get are the people who can't seem to be bothered to put their cards, regardless of type, in the same place every time so they don't have to go digging for the dang things constantly.
                    Credit and debit cards, especially. I've gotten used to people who don't know what the frack they did with their cards. How can they live like that? It's called a "wallet" with "pockets". Not difficult.

Same thing with the people who can't find their driver's licenses and insurance cards. While I can understand that insurance cards get shuffled into the bottom of a purse or something like that, it's still mind-boggling how many places people look for them sometimes in their freakishly large purses and gazillions of little card holders.

Comment

I know precisely which pocket each item I carry is in, and which pocket it goes into, regardless of what I'm wearing. When I've carried bags, it's the same way. I'm always baffled by these people who pull out wads of crumpled bills from four or five different places. How do they ever know how much money they have?

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth AFpheonix View Post
                        What I don't get are the people who can't seem to be bothered to put their cards, regardless of type, in the same place every time so they don't have to go digging for the dang things constantly.
                        Credit and debit cards, especially. I've gotten used to people who don't know what the frack they did with their cards. How can they live like that? It's called a "wallet" with "pockets". Not difficult.

Same thing with the people who can't find their driver's licenses and insurance cards. While I can understand that insurance cards get shuffled into the bottom of a purse or something like that, it's still mind-boggling how many places people look for them sometimes in their freakishly large purses and gazillions of little card holders.
                        Oh me too...my license is ALWAYS in the same place in my wallet, and while my cards might get shuffled around, they are in the same 4-5 slots in my wallet, so i never have a problem finding them.

People who can't find their license or insurance info reminds me something that happened to me in college. I went to school in MD, and the troopers there, from what i've experience and seen, are ticket happy. So my friend, who has a car, and is driving, gets pulled over on the interstate for speeding. Trooper comes over, asking for license, registration and insurance info. She has NO clue what her registration looks like! and to top it all off, is crying hysterically! um. if i drove my car all the way from CT to MD, my parents would not have let me leave the driveway without knowing where all the relevant paperwork was, and what it looked like! i was so amazed she had no clue! she kept pulling stuff out showing it to him saying, is this it, is that it? i think she finally found it, but her crying did no good, she still got the ticket.

Comment

People who use checks are trying to utilize what is known as 'float' in the financial industry. Nowadays, in Arizona, when you pay by check, it goes into a check reader and is either approved or rejected. What people don't realize is that if it is approved, the funds are taken immediately. There is no longer any such animal as float. Post-dated checks? I have had people tell me I can write a post-dated check for a purchase, tehn get upset when I look them in the eye and say, "No, I can't, post-dated checks are no, 1: illegal, and no 2: no longer checks, but promissory notes.

Comment

Quoth Starlord View Post
                            People who use checks are trying to utilize what is known as 'float' in the financial industry.
                            That's kind of a broad brush you're using there.

I know plenty of people who use checks because that's what they know, or they're unduly paranoid. I have to use a check sometimes, myself, although very rarely outside of paying my rent.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                            X