This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun with celebrities

At this one hotel I worked at we were the host hotel for the science fiction convention that came to town annually. People who were attending the convention stayed with us and so did all the has been celebrities that were booked into the convention.

I will not mention any by name - but quite a few of these so called stars were not the nicest people in the world. They were not terribly famous anymore but that did not stop them from acting as if the whole world owed them.

One dude - famous for being in a couple tv shows from the eighties was totally pissed off that we had to kick everyone out of the bar by 2am. He was mad that he was made to leave (gee, since it was state law) He came out of the bar with a woman on each arm and just ranted.

Another dude (famous for being in one show in the seventies) came downstairs at one in the morning and wanted food. We had none. we did not deliver room service that late. So, he got a taxi and went to Denny's with a woman. Not too terribly sucky but hilarious that he was drunk and had the munchies. He kept talking about how this tv show ruined his career and how he never really got work after that.

One woman (famous for being in tv shows from the sixties) got mad because I sent her driver to her room to pick her up. She ranted about how nobody should have known her room number. Normally I would not have sent someone but the dude came in and asked where room number was - so he knew it ahead of time. He would have gone there regardless. The funny thing is that she was always depicted on tv as being super nice but in her old age she was cranky as hell.

I also had an encounter with a celebrity who was deaf in one ear and got mad because I was trying to talk to him and did not know which ear to talk into.

On the plus side - I met a dude from the star wars movies and got to chat with him about his experiences.

Interesting tales there . . . did you by the way encounter any older actors who were popular as secret agents on tv back in the 60's?

There are a couple I'd give my eye teeth to be able to meet one day. Whether or not I ever get that chance remains to be seen.
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Thankfully, I've never run across anyone like that...except for the minor sports "heros". For some reason they just throw fits when someone doesn't fall at their feet and kiss their boots. Dude, nobody knows who are and even if I did know who you were, you certainly aren't worth my job.

OTOH, writers are the best. I try to not go all fan girl over them, but sometimes I just can't help myself. Sports to me are boring, books are amazing!

Comment

We go to a lot of Cons (Memorabilia and collectormania mostly for any UK residents ^_^) and we've found that some are lovely lovely people, and some just seem to want you out of the way.

For example: A female wrestler, wonderful lady, chatted with us, bribed her "sitter" so we could take a photo with her at the table, remembered us later at the photoshoot and chatted and joked with us again, complimented Dh's costume, and when I complimented her beautiful blouse she told me where she got it from, I mourned that places like that rarely did plus size clothes and she basically said "Pshaw, you're not that big! They do sizes that will fit you easily!" A fantastic experience.

On the other hand: A guy who was a supporting role in a couple of older films from a series. Signed the photo then completely ignored us even though we were the only people at the table. I mean, ok, I don't want his life story, but he didn't even glance up when we said "thank you, bye." He didn't even respond to our greeting. A "hello" and a smile would have made the difference.

The wrestler was much better known than the actor, and we just felt like he hated that he had to talk to the peons. Y'know.

Comment

I was a volunteer with a local con last year and one of the guests walked around and introduced himself to all of us, nice as can be and a complete sweetheart. I felt sort of bad that I was not familiar with his work at the time, but since then I have started looking for it and watching the shows he's been in just on the strength of him being such a nice human being. Helps that he's a decent actor. The other guests we had pretty much were much more reserved and you only saw them during their panels and when they were signing stuff.

Comment

My theatre is a magnet for celebrities, because we do fundraisers, and it looks good for them to be there. (It's a children's theatre).

A-list celebrities were mostly great. We had one who is famous for being connected to everyone by degrees--and his famous wife and child, and they were super awesome and sweet. Some big-time politicians were a little self-centered. Secret Service agents are just like on tv, except that they need coffee from me. We also had a Star Wars guy who is actually way bigger than he looks, and his voice was like chocolate in the theatre. It rumbles the seats.

A very famous classical composer from the 1700's came incognito after we started and left before we ended.

A former secretary of state had a nap on my couch.

Basketball players definitely are taller than they look.

An author famous for monsters in kitchens couldn't bear to come supervise how we portrayed his book, so his husband was there instead.

A new broadway play about dancing and Baltimore had a read-through, and I met The Girl and Her Mother, the original Broadway cast.

I miss the place so much. Never a dull moment!

Comment

Quoth Employee28567 View Post
              We had one who is famous for being connected to everyone by degrees

A very famous classical composer from the 1700's came incognito after we started and left before we ended.
              My guess is that the first one, based on his name, is definitely NOT Kosher.

As for the second, it would HAVE to be someone portraying him (if the actual person, he'd be over 200 years old - anyone that old would not only no longer be composing, they'd have finished decomposing). Since identifying the composer wouldn't actually identify who showed up (any more so than the modern equivalent "An Elvis tribute artist was in attendance" revealing who the tribute artist actually was), could you let us know which composer?
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                As for the second.....could you let us know which composer?
                My first thought:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Sebastian_Bach

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebastian_Bach

But I've been known to be very wrong about things before
                Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Heh. Having been volunteer staff for dozens of cons over the last 20 years, I can say that some "stars" are fantastic to deal with, and others are complete douchebags.

No names, of course, but I'll give you two examples:

Good:
                  Actor on a popular scifi TV show was waiting for an elevator. The doors opened, and a group of Star Wars stormtrooper cosplayers got off. His response was to go full fanboy about the costumes and then go up to his room, get HIS stormtrooper outfit, and join them for the rest of the night.

Bad:
                  Actor of several scifi and fantasy TV shows was upset that he actually had to interact with the convention attendees outside of his panels (certain amounts of "convention social time" are actually in the con's contract), and spent any moment not required by his contract in his room. He actually left the con early on the last day without even notifying the con chair or guest liason.

It happens all the time, regardless of which fandom you're talking about.
                  "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

I remember seeing the most interesting paradox between two wrestling stars at a con in the UK a few years ago. On one table we had someone who was popular for being a homegrown British boy, and apparently thought that meant he deserved the same treatment as the Queen herself. His table has all the trappings of what you'd expect from a diva type: bowl of peanut M&Ms that were green and blue only, a very specific and chic brand of bottled water, a pillow visible on his seat, and he spent as little time interacting with each person that came up to him as possible before waving them off.

Right next to him was an American wrestler who had about 5 years of seniority and a few more champion belts to his name. He'd already caused a stir at the con by insisting on going in through the main entrance and waiting in line with the rest of the common folk, stating he didn't want to be treated specially. He also happily chatted with everyone who came for an autograph for as long as they wished, smiled all the time and even apologized profusely to one fan for having to get up and use the restroom right in the middle of their discussion about a previous match of his. Weirdest contrast between two stars in the same field ever.

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                      Interesting tales there . . . did you by the way encounter any older actors who were popular as secret agents on tv back in the 60's?

There are a couple I'd give my eye teeth to be able to meet one day. Whether or not I ever get that chance remains to be seen.
                      I won't give the names of the bad ones but there have been several good ones over the years.

Peter Graves
                      George Takei
                      Scotty Bowman - Detroit Red Wings coach
                      Jill Larson
                      Terry Farrell
                      Kevin Hodson - goalie for Red Wings
                      Jeremy Bullock

Comment

And you have things like this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8339710.stm
                        ludo ergo sum

Comment

Early 70's: I worked BoH in the country club in a town that had a stock theater and nowhere else to eat. Consequently the stars (mostly second-tier actors, though Margaret Hamilton and John Caradine appeared) dined there. Most were delightful, though one -- someone who was a cast member on a television show known for Goldy Hawn's debut and people popping out of little doors -- was a totally demanding rear end, as if he was really important (oh, and also had no manners, as Really Important People usually ARE well mannered). Never heard of him again after that show ended.

[Wikipedia search...] Oh... he's dead.

Comment

Quoth farmkid View Post
                            someone who was a cast member on a television show known for Goldy Hawn's debut and people popping out of little doors
                            I've got my hands full with this lamp I'm repairing - could you pass that socket to me?
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                              I've got my hands full with this lamp I'm repairing - could you pass that socket to me?
                              It may be rice wine to you but it's saki to me.

(Yes I really am that old)
                              Last edited by gerund; 04-15-2015, 04:38 AM. Reason: I'm an official member of the old farts club

Comment

Working...
                              X