Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lol. I always say "just because you didn't notify us doesn't mean you won't be charged". It's amazing what people think they can get away with. If we find out there are more guests than we were told of on checkin, or that there are animals, we will charge. It's all on the registration card signed on check in.

Comment

mom and I were traveling to Maine Many years ago, which normally would of been a long 12 hour drive (start at the butt-crack of dawn, arrive in time for dinner). We were traveling with a medium sized dog who was quiet as can be....

we didn't plan on staying overnight in a hotel until we got stuck in traffic for 4 HOURS and time we got off the poor pup (well she was 5 or 6 at the time) was just about to burst from needing to pee, and we were both tired (i wasn't old enough to drive). So we pulled off the interstate, found the closest thing to a hotel we could find and I walked the dog while mom went in and asked if a room was available for the night and that we had a dog with us.

it was a little mom and pop place and they let us have the room for the night with our pup, mom pulled the comforter off the bed, and tossed it on the luggage rack thingy (little taller then a foot stool), and thought the dog would sleep up on the bed with us since that was what she normally would do. We are awakened in the middle of the night by a bunch of bikers roaring into the parking lot at o dark 30.....dog wakes up and growls the low growl she adopted to let us know someone was near the house but not a direct threat...yet (she was a pit bull boxer mix). Mom looked at the clock, 2am, and decided it was a good time to get going before the traffic started up again, grumbling from me (hey I was a teenager we like sleep), and got out the door within 20 minutes. Dog didn't do much more then wag her tail at someone who was outside getting something in or out of the car.
      It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Sarlon, originally we didn't have a weight limit at that hotel for dogs, or breed restrictions. Then a girl came in with a boxer and a pit bull (which she claimed was another boxer. I'm not stupid. It was a pit bull). Later she took them outside for a walk. When she came in, they dragged her down the hall on her knees. If they are strong enough to drag someone down the hall on their knees, they should not be staying in a hotel. If they lost their minds for some reason (especially the pit bull), a staff member or guest could have been dead.

That changed the rules. After that, we wouldn't accept any animals over 25 lbs and no more than two per room. We also set breed restrictions (no pit bulls, rottweilers, or any other known aggressive breed).

You got lucky with your dog, but alot of people have said their dog "has never attacked anyone and is the sweetest thing ever" and then it eats their other pets or attacks a child or adult. As a business, we couldn't take that chance.

Now, that being said, I live in the south where hurricanes are far too common for my liking. We've had to run several times and I will NEVER leave my cat behind, even if I have to sleep in the car. We were lucky and found a place that accepted her staying with us. But a cat is not a dog and is far less likely to do serious damage to someone if they lose control.

Comment

I hate pet fees, I really do but I also completely and understand why they are there.

I bring my dog everywhere and pay pet fees in hotels / motels - and even though I don't like it I don't mind.

Honestly, though, it is almost NEVER when they can tell I had my dog in the room (unless they see it) - she's quiet, clean, and not destructive.

But- I always tip extra when she is with me, too. I know the cleaning crew will have to do extra work because of my girl (honestly, I'd have less of a problem with them if I knew most of the pet fee went to the cleaning person (and not just in the form of extra time working).
          Quote Dalesys:
          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

whats the policy on service dogs that look like a small mountain?

I know a friend who has a large stout working dog that helps her keep her balance as something to lean against incase of balance problems. we're talking 200+ pound dog maybe.
            It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Quoth Sarlon View Post
              whats the policy on service dogs that look like a small mountain?

I know a friend who has a large stout working dog that helps her keep her balance as something to lean against incase of balance problems. we're talking 200+ pound dog maybe.
              If it's a service animal, then ADA regulations should override hotel policy and it should be allowed.

At my hotel, our "official" policy is up to 2 50lb dogs....I've had guests ask if their single 100lb one could stay because "it's like two 50lb ones put together!" We're pretty flexible on our policy, especially if you ask nice.

Your friend's dog reminds me of my friend's dog. He was not just a Great Dane, he was the Andre the Giant of Great Danes! He was not a service animal, but she'd bring him to the bar (he would have to wait outside) and then she'd wrap her arms around him and have him drag her home when she wasn't able to walk straight.
              Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

You guys are quite generous with your pet fees. Ours are $20 per night with no upper limit.
                To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Hotels cannot (by law) refuse a service dog - and cannot charge for the dog.

Comment

Quoth figgyx View Post
                    Hotels cannot (by law) refuse a service dog - and cannot charge for the dog.
                    True. But they may ask the person to prove that it is a service dog. I've seen alot of people claim its a service dog and it isn't, they just didn't want to be told no or charged.

Comment

Quoth Moirae View Post
                      True. But they may ask the person to prove that it is a service dog. I've seen alot of people claim its a service dog and it isn't, they just didn't want to be told no or charged.
                      And how would somebody with an invisible disability prove it-- would the person with a seizure alert dog that warns of an episode about to occur, need to be on the verge of a grand mal to get a room?

One can ask if the dog in question is a service animal, and ASK what task it performs....and of course kick the person out make the dog leave if it is out of control, but you would need to give the person the option of continuing to shop/eat/stay without the service animal present and would need to assist the customer with tasks he/she cannot do due to the disability.

But, there is no way to prove a dog is a service animal. As the ADA is written, there is no required registration, or certification. Service animals are not required to wear any vests or other paraphernalia indicating they are a service animal. (And I'm sure the mods would prefer debate on whether the laws on requirements should be changed to go over to fratching)

Comment

Quoth Deevil View Post
                        And how would somebody with an invisible disability prove it-- would the person with a seizure alert dog that warns of an episode about to occur, need to be on the verge of a grand mal to get a room?
                        The response to that question would give it away. If the person gets flustered or tries "I left the papers at home," they're lying.
                        The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

I wouldn't be. Getting flustered with questions is exactly the sort of thing that happens with one of my invisible disabilities.

Please don't assume.
                          1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                          -----
                          http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post

Most pets really don't like travel. The new situations and places make them anxious, and that's why they bite, mark, pee, poo, and gnaw on furniture. They are happier at home.
                            On that note my gf and her household are travelling with their dog to move across the country. She's going to HATE the fact that she won't see "home" again.
                            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Working...
                            X