This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I send this letter?

Well, should I? I'm aiming for something suitably biting and subtly vicious, because this lady was a real bitch. She sent a two-page bulleted list of complaints from her stay here, and also sent it to our corporate headquarters because, as she wrote in her letter "we have doubts whehter it would be worthwhile addressing it there" (to us). Names are changed, unfortunately, because I really would love to send the letter addressed to...

----

Dear Mrs. Old Bat,

Thank you for taking the time to bring to our attention issues with your stay at the Dreadful Inn of Hendersonville. We appreciate the chance to address our guests’ concerns.

As I understand it your first complaint is that your card keys did not work properly. For that we are sincerely sorry, although you did note in your letter that we did provide you with working card keys. We further apologize for the miscommunication that caused other employees to attempt to attend to your needs after they had already been met.

Your second complaint is that there is no raised seat on the toilet in Rm 124. You will note, however that there were steel rails on the walls, and therefore that the room conformed to handicapped-accessible standards. You further complained that there were no facial tissues provided. However, please note that when we offered to give them to you, you declined.

In regards to the continental breakfast we provide, we admit that we cannot and do not attempt to tailor our breakfast foods to every individual. We tailor them to the majority, and speaking as someone whose parents are both diabetic amputees, I can understand this is frustrating. However, yours was the first request for diabetic maple syrup that I have ever received in my nearly five years in the hospitality industry. There is simply not enough call for it for us to place it on our breakfast. Our continental breakfast is meant to be a selection of simple, free food as a courtesy. It is not meant to be an expansive buffet that will please every guest no matter their preferences and dietary needs, and is not advertised as such.

Regarding your spider bites, no you cannot state with certainty that they occurred in the room, and because no other guest before or since has complained of them, and because inspections of the room have not turned up any evidence of spiders, we will not assume that they occurred there.

Concerning the guest survey forms, we do apologize that no form was provided in the room, although as you noted and considering the length of your complaint letter, a survey form would not have been the proper medium to communicate your issues.

Finally, as your letter states that we have lost you permanently as a guest, we feel there is little we can do to assuage your concerns, although we do note that our rates are in line with others in the area, and that we doubt you could have found “immensely” better accommodations at a significantly better price. While you are free to search for a better rate, and we wish you luck in your search, please be aware that hotel rates in the summer typically range from $89.99 to $2000.00 a night in the Asheville-Hendersonville area. Again, we wish you the best of luck in finding other accommodations in any future visit you may make to the region.

Sincerely,
    hauntedheadnc, guest services
    Last edited by Antisocial_Worker; 06-17-2007, 08:32 PM.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

Do it! I would love to see her expression!

Nothing pisses me off more than people that complain when they are in your establishment, decline help, then write a complaint letter.

Comment

The bit about 'diabetic amputees' could be seen as facetious*, but otherwise it seems to be to be direct and to the point. It addresses her concerns, without belittling them.

*Unless of course your parents really are diabetic amputees.
      "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
        The bit about 'diabetic amputees' could be seen as facetious*, but otherwise it seems to be to be direct and to the point. It addresses her concerns, without belittling them.

*Unless of course your parents really are diabetic amputees.
        They are. Mom's also legally blind from the diabetic retinopathy.

Comment

The letter is professional and addresses her issues. SEND IT!

PJ
          The universe is mostly empty space, and so is your job. ~Dilbert

Comment

Quoth hauntedheadnc View Post
            They are. Mom's also legally blind from the diabetic retinopathy.
            In which case send it.

And I apologise wholeheartedly for my 'facetious' comment.
            "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

SEND IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

You know what is sounds professional, it addresses her concerns and it chews her out. I would also place a copy in some kind of record. Lots of business reply almost simulariy to complaints if not as... precises....

Send it!!

Comment

It is a very good letter. It addresses each of her complaints directly, is not disrespectful, and does the perfect job of defending your establishment and employees.

It is a shame you can't send it addressed to Mrs Old Bat, though.

Can you also send a copy to corporate? It should be included with her complaint letter in their records. (Unless they have a suck-up-at-all-costs mentality).

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
                    In which case send it.

And I apologise wholeheartedly for my 'facetious' comment.
                    No worries. I got to play the "disabled parents" card once before when a man went off on me about the placement of our handicapped-accessible rooms at the hotel where I used to work. When he told me that I just didn't understand, I simply replied that both of my parents were amputees and not to try that crap with me.

To everyone else, thanks for your feedback!

Comment

I'd send it. This letter is very well written, and she needs to know what a staff member thinks.
                      For the most part, I don't care about what everyone else is doing, or what is popular.
                      -Namie Amuro (Japanese singer)

Comment

You really should send it, its a great letter

Comment

I did that once, sent a similar letter to a guest. I loved it, made me feel so much better, until the letter was received by the recipient and read. After that, they sent the letter to the corporate office, and our hotel was then responsible for the refund given to the guest by corporate. Those corporate people need to lighten up I say

All I am saying is, be careful. It may not be worth the hassle (but I do agree its necessary).

Comment

I say it's a darn good letter. It calls upon personal experiences rather than relying on pure company policy, humanizing it, it acknowledges and addresses the issues rather than side-stepping them, and does not insult her directly by telling her she's a complaining old hag who needs her priorities shift into something realistic.

PS: Spider bites? Willies, shivers, and creeps have now been given.
                            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth hauntedheadnc View Post
                              Concerning the guest survey forms, we do apologize that no form was provided in the room, although as you noted and considering the length of your complaint letter, a survey form would not have been the proper medium to communicate your issues.
                              Subtle.

Send it on!!!!!
                              Unseen but seeing
                              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                              3rd shift needs love, too
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                              X