This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth kerrisan View Post
    If anyone says they've had an incident where a parent said "Can you watch my child while I go to an XXX store?" I really wanna hear that one.
    I wanna hear a story about a parent taking their child into an XXX store.

WOuld probably make for some interesting questions asked at interesting times.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth hecubus View Post
      While nobody ever came right out and asked our staff if we could babysit, I did work at the Number 1 holiday season babysiting venue: the movie theater nextdoor to the mall.
      Exactly.

I have been asked to 'keep an eye' on kids a couple of times, usually on a quiet Sunday morning. Basicly mum dropped them off for a movie, and planned to be back exactly when the movie finished. They were just two kids who were old enough to be at the movies on their own and were perfectly well behaved, so no action required on my part. Not that I could have done anything, if they'd sneaked out.
      "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

I have two problems with this one:

1) If that is not my child, let alone I don't know you or your child from Adam, I am in no way going to agree to watch your child. Especially alone with no witnesses around. Anyone can say you did whatever they Jolly-well please, causing upset and ruination in your life.

2) I have children of my own, and in no way am I going to ask a total and complete stranger to watch them so I can go shopping and be free of my "burdens", as some parents say. Whenever I shop, my kids are with me and not allowed to be somewhere else.

Comment

I agree with bigjimaz, what the H**L are they thinking? The parents in my area tend to be a little paranoid though because there were a lot of child abductions in the late 80's around here, and about 5 years ago a 7 year old boy was abducted and murdered in the next town over. They still haven't caught the guy who did it.

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
            I can bring it back for you.
            Please do. My curiosity has been piqued!!!
            "There is no rehab for stupidity." --Chris Rock
            "You learn something new and stupid every day you work in retail."--IhateCrappyTire

Comment

Quoth Zell View Post
              Has anyone literally said to you "Can you watch my son while I go to xxx store?" If so, I really wanna hear that story
              Not quite a customer, but a friend of my boss's asked us to watch her seven year old once. Not only that, but she left the kid in the kitchen. The kitchen full of ovens and smokehouses and friers and all sorts of machines that produce dangerous amounts of heat, plus lots of sharp things. All on a floor covered in all sorts of bacteria what feed on the food we drop on it all day long. When I told her that her kid would probably have more to keep him occupied in the dining room, we got crayons and all, she said that I wouldn't be able to keep an eye on him if he was in the dining room, and he'd probably be safer in the kitchen. Joaquin's good with kids and all, but jeez.
              You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
                I have two problems with this one:

1) If that is not my child, let alone I don't know you or your child from Adam, I am in no way going to agree to watch your child. Especially alone with no witnesses around. Anyone can say you did whatever they Jolly-well please, causing upset and ruination in your life.

2) I have children of my own, and in no way am I going to ask a total and complete stranger to watch them so I can go shopping and be free of my "burdens", as some parents say. Whenever I shop, my kids are with me and not allowed to be somewhere else.
                I have to agree. I'm not sure why parents don't realize that the most successful kidnappers look in the places that parents leave their children unattended. I know they expect the employees to "watch their children" but do they take their children to work? If not, then why expect me to watch their children when I have a job to do. Not to mention, if I'm in charge of your child, do I get to disipline them? I think not.
                "If ignorance is bliss, then I work in Heaven."

Comment

One of my first posts here was about an experience I had at the games store where a woman had dropped off her two kids and one of them had wandered off to another electronics store in the same plaza.

When the woman returned for her kids, she had the gall to blame ME for her kid wandering: "why weren't you watching him?!". I almost knocked that woman's teeth out when she came out with that.

Watching your kids is YOUR JOB, you dumb bitch. Selling games is MY JOB.

Comment

At my old store we had lots of kids left unaccompanied all the time. Four of them were the children of the woman at the nail salon nearby. She would tell them to go stay in the bookstore to keep them out of her way. Several of the tutors who used our cafe for office/class space would send their kids to rampage through the store, as long as the kids didn't disturb them. One abandoned little girl, about 4 or 5, started following me around as I cleaned up and she actually started helping put CD's back. After an hour or so of being my apprentice, she said "you're my daddy today". Sort of cute, but seriously scary that a little kid is apparently used to picking new daddies daily. Eventually her real dad came back to the store for her and left without saying a word.

The best one though, was an autistic girl whose parents would leave her at the bookstore every weekend. Her favorite hobby was sneaking off to an unobserved desk and using the phone to call 911. She would do it so much that we had to unhook all the phones on the salesfloor except at customer service. That only made her angry and violent, plus we couldn't take any calls coming in. We only found out because cops, paramedics and firefighters kept showing up asking what was going on, then the 911 dispatchers would call back too. It's a pretty serious offense and they don't take it lightly. So the police stayed for a while with her, trying to catch her parents when they eventually came to get her in the evening. Days later, her parents had called our corporate office to complain about the whole thing. Their logic being, the customer is always right, so if their abandoned daughter wants to make prank calls to 911 on our phones, then she should be allowed to and they should never be charged with any crime. Of course, the corporate people bowed and scraped and sent them gift cards for their trouble. Luckily, I guess, the store closed down not too long after that started, and I went to a sister store nearby. One day, firefighters show up asking who called 911, and guess who I see running around the store all by herself...
                    It never ends.

Comment

Quoth Hraesvelg7 View Post
                      The best one though, was an autistic girl whose parents would leave her at the bookstore every weekend. Her favorite hobby was sneaking off to an unobserved desk and using the phone to call 911.
                      Jeebus on a cracker! That is unbelievable! And they did not see anything wrong with *any* of this?!

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                      I wanna hear a story about a parent taking their child into an XXX store.

WOuld probably make for some interesting questions asked at interesting times.
                      I remember, when I was young, my parents wanted to get a friend of theirs a blow-up doll as a gag gift. We drove to the local "adult store" and my sister and I had to stay in the car while they shopped. I don't think they found a blow-up doll.
                      -"One ring to rule them all!"-Elias
                      -Ask yourself, "WWRKHTSCCJ:TMD?"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post

I have however had plenty of people leave their kids at the Thomas the Tank table (sometimes as young as 2) and shop elsewhere in the store.
                        No shit! They do that at our store too!
                        We have a thomas the tank table and everything!
                        Check out my cosplay social group!
                        http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

Comment

Call child protection services.

Abandoning a child? Looks like an open and shut case to me.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Gabrielle Proctor View Post
                            We have a thomas the tank table and everything!
                            Am I the only person who thinks that would have been a better show?
                            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth bigjimaz View Post
                              I love your avatar ZumZum, although I think that would be considered cheating at the rainbow party.
                              *Is laughing hysterically*
                              I was thinking something along the very same lines, myself.

Anyways. At EB, we get LOADS of kids who either get dumped there or think the PS3 booth is an arcade. Seriously, there was one kid who sat there playing Motorstorm for 2 hours before his parents came and got him.
                              We should put up one of those 'Unattended children will be sold into slavery' signs.
                              Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me!

I like big bots and I cannot lie.

Comment

Quoth BusBus View Post
                                Jeebus on a cracker! That is unbelievable! And they did not see anything wrong with *any* of this?!
                                The kid/parents should have been charged with making false 911 calls...although I'm not sure if any charges would have stuck due to the child's autism (although, even when I was thought autistic I knew better than to try pulling crap like that).
                                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
                                X