Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did I go far enough? (re: family trying to buy up our sodas to resell in their store)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I go far enough? (re: family trying to buy up our sodas to resell in their store)

Okay, do all of you remember my topic about "What part of NONE SOLD TO DEALERS does this family not understand?" Well, I finally got the courage to stand up to them when they tried ONCE AGAIN to buy up a whole shopping cart full of 12 packs of Pepsi and another shopping cart full of 12 packs of Mountain Dew along with about 20 Ben & Jerry's ice creams. Once I saw the carts and knew for sure that was indeed what they were doing, I told them I could not sell these to them due to our policy regarding None Sold to Dealers and our right to limit quanities. Well, naturally, (there was three males; one about 60s, the other two around late 20s/early 30s) after I pointed out to them that I (along with nearly everyone else including management) knew that they were going to resell the sodas in their stores for much higher markups he (the shortest of the two younger ones) LIED to me (again!) that they were not for the store. So as a nice gesture, I offered to let them buy ONE SET of five (that was our limit on the Pepsi products). He tried to have me do one set each person but I wouldn't have none of that.

But here's where it gets really bad. This individual not only made the standard threats of reporting me to management/corporate, but he had the nerve to pull the ****ing RACE CARD on me. He accused me of refusing him/his family service because of their race (they're Indian; I'm white) and I flat out told him that no, it was because of them reselling our stuff, not his race. If it weren't for the fact I was so shocked initially by the allegation (and indeed, it took me the next few hours afterwards to get over that initial shock of being called a racist), I would have not sold them anything and would not have hesistated to have called the police for trespassing had they continued to refuse to leave (this was 11:30PM-12AM so I could not call a mgr for backup). In the end, because I had already pointed out the limit quantites, they only got five Mountain Dews and the ice cream (luckily the ice cream wasn't on sale for much).

So what happened afterwards? Well, it just so happened the customer behind them knew of their scheme and after they left, wrote a signed/phone numbered testominal to go with my own written report about them pulling the race card on me (and that I was very professional/polite about refusing them service/asking them to leave) and that she too knew they were buying the products to resell in their stores (again, we have a strict no dealers policy that thankfully we're really starting to crack down on) and when I called our first asst. mgr (our second-in-command at our store) about the situation, he confirmed that under the circumstances, I did handle the situation well and that our GM has told this family personally not to come to our store.

I guess my main concerns are two fold. One, did I go far enough? That is, should I have gone ahead with my instinct and had the police come after they refused to leave (I politely asked them at LEAST 3-4 times)? Of course, now that they had the race card pulled on me I won't hestiate for a second to do so if neccesary. Second, could their actions (pulling the race card and refusing to leave) have constituted not only reverse discrimination, but also creating a hostle work enviroment (it did also prevent me from servicing the two honest customers behind them)? I can't just let this family get away with what they did, I just can't. These were way beyond SC's for sure.
    Last edited by Estil; 06-26-2007, 12:37 AM.

I think I you did the right thing. I mean you stood by the store policy since this is a regular store (I'm assuming) and not a wholesale store so you can't sale it to other vendors. You also had another customer who knew what they were up too and backed you up so that's good. As for the race card, that's pretty much crying wolf in my book and that's just from reading those types of stories on these forums. Anyway since the store has banned them by now and if they come back probably pulling the same stunt then you should call the police since they are trespassing.
    Last edited by rdp78; 06-26-2007, 02:30 AM. Reason: added, change something
    Yours truly, Robyn unless your an SC
    My space
    Facebook

Comment

I think you did a great job, especially in getting a witness to corroborate your story, should you need one. You stood your ground and didn't sell them mass quantities of drinks. No need for police, unless they pull this crap again.
      "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Accusing you of being racist is in itself, a racist comment.

They're racist for making that accusation.
        Quote Dalesys:
        ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

One, did I go far enough? That is, should I have gone ahead with my instinct and had the police come after they refused to leave (I politely asked them at LEAST 3-4 times)? Of course, now that they had the race card pulled on me I won't hestiate for a second to do so if neccesary. Second, could their actions (pulling the race card and refusing to leave) have constituted not only reverse discrimination, but also creating a hostle work enviroment (it did also prevent me from servicing the two honest customers behind them)?
          1. I would've called the cops. Stores can refuse service to anybody for any reason, and if they do not leave when told to it's tresspassing. If the GM has banned them and is willing to uphold it, you can call the cops the next time they visit.

2. Possibly, although I personally wouldn't play the "hostile work environment" card over that one-time event.

Props to the honest customer for backing you up and filling out that card so that corporate doesn't act on just the resellers' side of the story and start dishing out freebies to them.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Seeing a pattern of abuse, I think you did the PERFECT thing. They are NOT going to stop. Now you will have a documented progression, showing warnings, explanations and then the final measure of the police being called. You TRIED to do it without having police involvement. The next time you see them you will be 100% justified sending them out of the store on sight. When they refuse and again pull the race card, HAMMER TIME!

Comment

I think you handled the situation well--you could have called the cops, but not doing so wasn't necessarily the wrong decision.

Don't bother with the 'hostile work environment' thing, especially since your managers are backing you up (if they were ignoring the situation, or siding with the customers, then it would be an issue).

If they come back, inform them that they are no longer welcome in the store, and give them ten seconds to leave before you call the cops. Then do it.

Comment

i think by playign it safe you did the right thing.
                You got records of their ...errr. suckyness... and if they try again or get worst you have proff of past acts and a better case.

you did good.

Comment

I think that you did the right thing. But I have a couple of questions.
                  Why is it wrong to sell to dealers?

My family sometimes buys more then enough products, to stock up on.

What is it up to the cashier/store to decide if the customer was buying it too resell or for own personal use?
                  Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                  San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Aside from it being store policy (not to mention it's pretty standard across most retailers), but it wouldn't be fair to the honest customers if they cleaned out our stock and then honest customers can't get the sales products (and we only do such a great sale on these sodas around 2-3 times a year during "picnic holidays", like Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, etc). Furthermore, the store may just decide not to do as good sales anymore if this "feeding the competition" stuff really became a problem.

And thanks for everyone's vote of confidence; it really means a lot because frankly, for the first few hours after that incident, I STILL thought I was a ****ing coward for even letting them get what they got even after I knew what they were up to. Next time, of course, they won't get so much as a lettce leaf.

I guess score one for the honest customers and retailers standing up to resellers (I know most of you would call them SC's but I don't think it goes far enough in this case)?

Comment

Quoth powerboy View Post

What is it up to the cashier/store to decide if the customer was buying it too resell or for own personal use?
                      First off, it's wrong because the deal is for actual users, not dealers. As was noted in the original thread, stores offer specials in order to attract customers who will then (hopefully) go on to purchase other, more profitable items while in the store.

Dealers will not purchase anything but the specially priced items, and sometimes they are priced below cost, so the store ends up losing money in addition to losing purchases and the goodwill of real customers who can't buy the items on special due to the dealers.

If you are a regular family making regular purchases, then there is no issue.

Remember those signs that say, "We reserve the right to refuse service...." Those apply to everyone. If a store doesn't want to sell to dealers, it doesn't have to. If a store doesn't want to sell to people with no shoes, they don't have to. If a store doesn't want to sell to people without hats on, they don't have to.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth powerboy View Post

Define "wrong".

There's nothing wrong with allowing dealers clean out your stock, and in fact some wholesale clubs welcome it. Most other stores will not do business with people buying such large quantities for the reason Andara stated.

It's not wrong to sell to dealers; it's just a policy choice stores decide to make.
                        Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 06-26-2007, 08:08 PM.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

So this policy is individual to some stores?

Comment

You handled the situation just fine. You stood your ground. I HATE it when people play the race card. They're playing dirty and taking advantage of the fact that they're a majority when things don't go their way.
                            For the most part, I don't care about what everyone else is doing, or what is popular.
                            -Namie Amuro (Japanese singer)

Comment

I think I've had the race card pulled twice on me at my job. The first one was a rejected credit card application, and the second was a rejected return with no receipt. Both times, I just laughed and said "The computer doesn't know that!"

One of these days, I'm going to respond to the race card with "Do you think you can bully me just because I'm a woman?" and see what happens...

I'll likely get in a lot of trouble, but I think it'd be worth it.
                              It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Working...
                              X