This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fired...What now?

So I "decided" to get a job as one of those canvasers for Planned Parenthood. You know, the guys with the clipboards who stop people on the street? I put "decided" in quotes because they were the only place in the last 6 months kind enough to even give me an interview, so I had to take it. Need the scratch. Anyway, I find that in order to remain employed one has 3 days to make a one-day total of $125 in donations. Fine, I think. I'm personable. I'm friendly. I can do this. Day 1 I'm in a moderately high-traffic area, I get $100. Close but no cigar. Day 2 I'm in an area of rich white folks. I get $60. Dammit. One last try. Today I go into what the rest of the crew says is the best place in the city. Everyone's made out like bandits here. So I'm pumped. Day ends. Rest of team averaged $240. Me? A measly $5 in pity money. I'm serious, the only money I made was from some guy who didn't even stop and pretty much threw it at me. How can my team get so much and I get nothing? Is it my face? My voice? It's gotta be something with me because of how the other 2 did.

Depressed me to no end because of the incredible lack of interview prospects. Seriously, how does one go 6 months with ZERO interviews? HOW?

Got a number for an org that does petitions and not fundraising. Might be a bit easier since people might be more receptive to simply signing something rather than opening their wallet. Another idea was to become a security guard. Apparently it's something in high demand. I just don't know.

I had a similar problem when I did canvassing, except that I made my first total and then didn't make a dime for a week and a half, so they fired me. No fucking clue what I was doing wrong.
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Somehow I also see people tossing their own money into the jar that way they get enough money to justify keeping their job. Interviews are hard to get, talk to your friends let people know you need something, get in touch with random people. That is how I got my awesome gig last night was posting on a facebook wall to see how a classmate I hadn't talked to in about 1-2yrs was doing, mentioned she was doing recruiting and within a week she gives me a call I wasn't available but the next week she found something and I was actually doing her a favor because she desperately needed someone to cover.

I graduated two years ago. If you don't count going to my schools job fair, almost ALL. my interviews were gotten through a friend or someone who owed me a favor, or just random family connections.

Also, don't use a generic resume, tailor your related skills and objective to that job. INCLUDE A COVER LETTER. I can't stress that enough, even if most of it is on resume, it helps to give more detail on key areas.

What sort of education and work experience do you have, any random certs like CPR. Activities?

I can think of TWO interviews (plus one informal) that were given to be based on my own merit. One was a posting on Craigslist for IT work, which I didn't get, sort of bombed interview plus didn't have enough experience but I was able to go in and talk about my work history and be able to look back and see what might have went wrong. The second, was a massive recruitign thing for the one cable company, I technically didn't have a full year of helpdesk but I was able to mention my current CSR job and how I did have 9 months as a co-op doing helpdesk along with a degree which was enough to allow me to take the test, just on the spot I panic I can spin BS with the best of them if you give me some time to edit or think about what to say.

Un-offical 3rd, I walked into a computer shop to ask if they were hiring and talked with the owner for a bit, actually ended up building a computer because I was sort of embarrased to say no I have never completely built a pc from parts I picked myself, for next time im asked that question. Which I take that back.... I found out about this computer shop because my dad was at the mechanics mentioning my situation and the mechanic told him who did their IT and that usually if the computer shop needs help, he more than willing to get people started.

Note: I also don't count any group Interviews as an interview, especially when 10-20 people are there, I have no problem with screening tests but even if you bring us in to interview one at a time, I'm chatting with 10 other prospective in the waiting room... I realize there is probably a reason for extremely high turn over.
      Last edited by underemployeed; 06-29-2011, 04:19 AM.
      I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

I met some canvassers for the Red Cross in Atlanta when we were there last March. They were our age (early-mid 20s) and seemed pretty cool, so when they invited us over to their table in the restaurant, we said sure. They were off-duty, but they talked about work a bit. Some stuff I remember from that conversation:
        1. High energy. Very high energy. We're theatre kids, that was our time of night, and we couldn't keep up with them.
        2. Eye contact.
        3. Something about vocal inflection. I think they said it was better to make your vocal inflection rise at the end of a sentence, rather than fall. I forget why...Maybe just because it's just more interesting to listen to?

I guess my point is, it takes a special knack to make it as a canvasser from what I can tell. Like, really understanding body language, and how to steamroller over someone without a) giving them time to say no, and b) not seeming like you're doing it.
        We are actors! We are the opposite of people! -Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

All we can do is hate. And they ALL deserve it.

Comment

Sorry it didn't work out My advice to everyone looking for work: NETWORK. With EVERYONE. Friends, family, past coworkers, acquaintances, people you meet at random. I have gotten more jobs through who I know (and I am by no means Miss Popularity!) than through conventional means and on the whole they've been more enjoyable too. Good luck. *passes ice cream*
          "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

That sounds a lot like piece work to me.

Comment

That's quite the stretch, but remember you're not alone in that boat. Keep looking while you can, keep your options open. I know it sucks with the waiting game, but keep your head up and keep trucking along. Someone told me to look around and call places that don't have ads up or help wanted signs for work. You never know. Keep your options open, let your resume and cover letter shine with your accomplishments and skills.
              I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
              Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
              Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

The best suggestion I can give you (and what originally got me the job I have now) is to go to a temp agency anywhere in your area. They test you for job skills rather than spend much weight on your resume, and then screen those skills against what they need butts-in-seats for.

Advantage? The temp agency doesnt make money if they dont find you work, so now you have a big company actively helping you find employment. It also gets your foot in the door in companies that never would have hired you off of the street. Once you're in like flynn, you have a much better chance of succeeding at an interview there, because, hey, you've demonstrated you can do the job already.

Disadvantage? You are a TEMP employee. Work can be very sudden on and off, as in you get a call that morning 'can you work today' and then find out that Friday when you're leaving that they dont need you back for that assignment next week.

Comment

I worked with a temp agency for a long time and it actually worked out well for me because I couldn't take on a full time job back then, yet by going to new companies and different types of businesses all the time I learned a lot of new things and met a lot of new people. It's definitely something to look into, especially for the short term. Also, some agencies do "temp to hire" so you have a chance of getting a full time job with a company if they like you and your work while you're temping.
                  "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Working...
                  X