Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm definitely not an expert on scorpions (don't wanna be!) but that one looks a lot like the ones I encounter around here (Central TX). They give me the absolute willies. I HATE them.

I've been stung four times, on three separate occasions. The most recent time it was under the bed and got me on the foot when I got up for some water, and once all the sobbing and trauma was over, I got back into bed to discover it had crawled up the sheets and stung me again on my thigh. Thankfully, I guess it hadn't fully recharged because that one didn't hurt quite as much. I was then able to find it and kill it.

For me, scorpion stings are much, much worse than a wasp or yellow-jacket, or even a fire ant bite. When it happens I can't do anything but cry and scream and wait for it to pass, and then apply some ointment to cut down on the swelling.

The last time I saw a scorpion in the house, it was crawling on the wall - I panicked, lashed out to kick it and punched a hole in the wall.... I'm glad you have someone working on the extermination process!

Comment

I was watching a show about Australia, and theres certain parts where people carry a car battery with a crank on it, because there are some scorpions so deadly, unless you crank it up and zap the area of the bite, youre done for.

Comment

in iraq we used to have cage matches between scorpions and camel spiders. the small scorpions tended to win quickly.
        There are only two rules of tactics: never be without a plan, and never rely on it.

Comment

Quoth redleg View Post
          in iraq we used to have cage matches between scorpions and camel spiders. the small scorpions tended to win quickly.
          WHAT?!?!?! Hold on one second....

Those are freaking spiders STRAIGHT FROM THE BOWELS OF HELL!!! And you are telling me that not only do the smaller scorpions beat their asses, but they do so quickly?!?!?!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

yeah apparently the smaller ones got better venom to help them avoid being appetizers for camel spiders.
            There are only two rules of tactics: never be without a plan, and never rely on it.

Comment

GAH.
              I'm just glad I have large, heavy books with which to squish, and a penchant for getting insects out of my house in the first place.
              "Is it the lie that keeps you sane? Is this the lie that keeps you sane?What is it?Can it be?Ought it to exist?"
              "...and may it be that I cleave to the ugly truth, rather than the beautiful lie..."

Comment

The pic of the spider that the military dudes are holding are actually one that has latched on to another, still big mofos though.

Just dont reach into a drawer without looking first

Comment

If anyone heard screaming, that was me.

Especially at the picture of the spiders.
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Its ok becks, ill hold you, but i might also dangle a puppet like camel spider at you from doorways and such

Comment

Quoth Ashaela View Post
                      I'm definitely not an expert on scorpions (don't wanna be!) but that one looks a lot like the ones I encounter around here (Central TX).

For me, scorpion stings are much, much worse than a wasp or yellow-jacket, or even a fire ant bite. When it happens I can't do anything but cry and scream and wait for it to pass, and then apply some ointment to cut down on the swelling.
                      Ashaela, I was going to say the same thing about it looking like the local scorpions. Yes the sting hurts, but I'd rather have it tag me than a hornet.

Benadryl, Prednisone and Vicodin if you have any, and Go-Jo hand cleaner help a lot. The last time I got stung, the only real reason I worried about it was that it got me on the jugular. But it did not hurt nearly as bad as the last time a hornet got me!
                      Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Pimento View Post
                        Its ok becks, ill hold you, but i might also dangle a puppet like camel spider at you from doorways and such
                        Evil!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        Unseen but seeing
                        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                        3rd shift needs love, too
                        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

See, I'm not bothered by the concept of spiders or scorpions or other stinging wee (or not so wee) beasties.

Heck spiders that are just going about their business killing the little mites or whatever that somehow keep managing to get into my bathroom, don't bother me. They stay up in the corner of my ceiling and don't come near me.

Once they start coming toward me, though, yeah, then I start freaking out. I got stung on the sole of my foot by a wasp when I was six. Kinda hated stinging beasties since then.
                          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                            See, I'm not bothered by the concept of spiders or scorpions or other stinging wee (or not so wee) beasties.

Heck spiders that are just going about their business killing the little mites or whatever that somehow keep managing to get into my bathroom, don't bother me. They stay up in the corner of my ceiling and don't come near me.

Once they start coming toward me, though, yeah, then I start freaking out. I got stung on the sole of my foot by a wasp when I was six. Kinda hated stinging beasties since then.
                            My rule is: Small ones in ceiling corners can stay there. Bigger ones have to go. I will try to catch them in a jar and take them outside if it's not too cold out. I try not to kill things. Except for fleas--then it's no holds barred.

I live in Centipede Central. I'm not scared of them, but I don't want them around. They, too, go outside if I can catch them. The cats often find them before I do. Every spring they start popping up. My sisters are freaked by them so I will warn them: "*Grendel's back." Much shrieking ensues.

*My pet name for centipedes!
                            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I do NOT like spiders or scorpions, but the thing that makes me let out a blood curdling shriek is centipedes. Spiders and scorpions are scary. Centipedes are just wrong!
                              Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Quoth Squeaksmyalias View Post
                                If it makes you feel any better if it was a snake I would have quit then and there and been out of the building before they knew what hit them. So on my scale you were quite calm.
                                So, how are you today, Dr. Jones?
                                Friends help you move. Rare friends help you move bodies.

Comment

Working...
                                X