Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You keep saying that phrase. It does not mean what you think it means.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You keep saying that phrase. It does not mean what you think it means.

Had a guy come in. He'd bought a popular fitness tracking device, about three and a half years ago. It comes with a standard 12 month manufacturer's warranty against defects/faults, and he'd paid for our store's three year super cover, which covers more eventualities and lasts three times as long.

But this is three and a half years later. So, the thing is out of the manufacturer's warranty, and though he'd bought the extended warranty, it had been long enough that that wasn't valid anymore either. Three and a half YEARS, of use out of a thing that is designed to be worn and used every day, and the battery has finally given up the ghost and stopped charging.

So he comes blazing in, ready for a fight, shrieking about the Consumer Guarantees Act, and his RIGHTS, and how the thing is "not fit for purpose".

Dude, if when you bought it, we'd told you that it'll fetch you coffee and do your laundry, and you got it out of the box and found that it didn't do those things, THEN it'd be not fit for purpose. THAT'S what that means. The fact that you used the thing for three and a half years, and it counted your steps and measured your heartbeat just like it was supposed to, until it got too old and died? That doesn't mean it wasn't fit for purpose. It means you got about two years more use out of it than the average consumer gets, based on my experience with this particular item.

Bottom line, if you're going to come at me with your RIGHTS, you should probably 1. actually know what they are, not just what you fondly imagine them to be, and 2. don't pull this bullshit with the one staff member behind the counter who not only knows that piece of legislation backwards and forwards, but who can literally recite it verbatim, chapter and verse.

Fucking loser.
    Now, I'd like to digress from my prepared remarks to discuss how I invented the terlet...

Quoth veniteangeli View Post
    *snip*

Bottom line, if you're going to come at me with your RIGHTS, you should probably 1. actually know what they are, not just what you fondly imagine them to be, and 2. don't pull this bullshit with the one staff member behind the counter who not only knows that piece of legislation backwards and forwards, but who can literally recite it verbatim, chapter and verse.

Fucking loser.
    Yes, but obviously you failed to read between the lines ...
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

In a situation like this I do the only thing I can do. "Let me call a manager for you." As a coworker used to say this is above my pay grade. They get paid (not) much more to get yelled at than I do.
      I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Expecting a sucktomer to use common sense and actually know what they're talking about?

Inconceivable!
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
          Expecting a sucktomer to use common sense and actually know what they're talking about?

Inconceivable!
          In this case, it does mean what you think it means.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Tell me, was he on his high school's Javelin Catching team?
            My son thinks I'm Lucifer Morningstar. I'm not sure he's wrong.

Comment

Ah, the people who seem to think they've discovered the ultimate life hack, that you don't have to be a lawyer to claim to know law... even if you clearly don't.
              - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I like when they go Judge Dredd and start in with I am the Law.
                AkaiKitsune
                Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Quoth YamiNoHime View Post
                  Tell me, was he on his high school's Javelin Catching team?

Either that or he was on the Darwin High School Dry Pool Diving Squad.
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                    Either that or he was on the Darwin High School Dry Pool Diving Squad.
                    Maybe he attended the Midvale School for the Gifted.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                      Maybe he attended the Midvale School for the Gifted.
                      Hey! *I* was incarcerated at Midvale Junior High School 08/63-06/64 and 08/64-06/65.
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                      X