Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Revolution lives! MAN THE BARRICADES!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Revolution lives! MAN THE BARRICADES!

We always ask customers if they have their "points" card when we ring them up.

So here's me, today, to a customer: "Do you have your points card?"

Customer: "I REFUSE TO PARTICIPATE IN ANY WAY WITH THIS PROGRAM."

Me:

Seriously, lady, this is not on the level of storming the Bastille. The Oligarchy is not going to stand you up against a wall because you don't have your points card. A simple "No" would suffice.

Despite my all-caps, she did not raise her voice or shout or anything. It was more a matter of body language and her more-than-slightly pompous pronouncement that I'm trying to capture here.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

What a bitch.

Comment

I managed not to laugh in her face, and in fact found myself closer to giggling after she'd left. Wouldn't have been a good idea as I was then ringing up another customer who hadn't been there for the little drama display and would have been justified in wondering what kind of whackjobs the place hires.

I mentioned it to two other coworkers later and they knew exactly who I was talking about, because she always does that. Next time I have to try to memorize her face so I can refrain from asking for her card in future. I'm not sure I can keep a straight face if I have to deal with this too often.
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

...You did immediately alert your overseers to the presence of a non-conformist, right? We've got to keep these kind of agitators in check lest they start inspiring the proles to question our rule.

Comment

Well, aren't we the little rebel?

This will be the same person who starts complaining bitterly when she finds she's missed out on a good promotion linked with the points card.
          Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

Of course, she still paid with plastic, yes? So The Man still has her purchases recorded, she's just not being compensated for it... le sigh.
            This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
            I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Les Miserable Hag

How do you do, my name's RatCrotch
              You can't complain you're on the clock
              You are my cashier, my verbal punching bag
              I am your boss, I pay your salary

Ring out, ring out,
              My purchase must be free,
              If you ring up and no price can be seen

Remember the discount card they came out with
              They ask me for a credit card
              My streaming service just dropped Dynasty
              I will take out my rage on you!
              Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Comment

I was once subjected to a five minute rant on how the loyalty cards were just a way for the government to track you and blahblah frankly tuned out pretty quick. Never mind that you could get free stuff from using it without needing to register it at all
                NPCing: the ancient art of acting out your multiple personality disorder in a setting where someone else might think there's nothing wrong with you.

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                  Of course, she still paid with plastic, yes? So The Man still has her purchases recorded, she's just not being compensated for it... le sigh.
                  She may have been rude, but that doesn't mean she's nuts.

I mean, I am sure different companies have different policies, and nobody reads the fine print, but ... I am sure at least some credit card companies agree not to sell the information about you they gather to other companies.
                  And I am sure some store loyalty programs specifically DO sell that information to other companies.

I can understand someone not wanting to trade their personal information to a company that plans on re-selling it multiple times at their own discretion. And I can certainly understand someone not wanting to trade their personal information to a company they feel is trying to obfuscate that intention.

And I can understand getting angry when the employees of that company try to pressure you into joining that program.
                  That doesn't excuse getting rude about it.

Comment

Quoth wynjara View Post
                    I was once subjected to a five minute rant on how the loyalty cards were just a way for the government to track you and blahblah frankly tuned out pretty quick. Never mind that you could get free stuff from using it without needing to register it at all
                    Well, if you want to feed someone's paranoia to entertain yourself:
                    Your cell phone routinely checks for wifi networks it has on file, just to see if that network is in range. This is not encrypted at all, and any wifi network can detect this.
                    There are nefarious devices that will pretend to BE the network your phone is asking for (it is essentially yelling "is anybody here Steve?" and the device changes it's name to "Steve" and they hook up), but there it is possible to just record what is being asked for.
                    So even if you have never used the wifi at a Starbucks, it is possible that Starbucks knows your phone as the one that asks for a certain three wifi networks, and therefore knows whenever you are in range of one of their wifi networks.

And the same is true for every other place that has wifi.
                    And one local convenience store chain offers free wifi with a range of about 1/4 mile.

(While registering the card would certainly help someone trying to track you with it, they can learn an awful lot just from when and where you use it and what you buy. Fun fact: one store revealed that their loyalty program showed that customers who suddenly start buying sleep aids, analgesics, and random candy will shift in about 6 months to buying diapers.)

Comment

Whereas people who buy Vaseline,marrows,chocolate spread and a cheerleader skirt will have their card marked with a little flag saying DEVlANT...
                      The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                        Whereas people who buy Vaseline,marrows,chocolate spread and a cheerleader skirt will have their card marked with a little flag saying DEVlANT...
                        Au contraire. They will have their cards marked, "For a good time call ..."
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I'm still working my way up to rope, a tutu, duct tape, and a Miss Piggy mask.
                          And a pack of gummy cola bottles.
                          Don't waste time trying to convince someone that the sky is blue.

Comment

Well, this thread certainly went off-track quickly ...

~ Mr Hero

Comment

Perhaps it needs to be left on its own to dream its dreams.
                              Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Working...
                              X