Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You are the drama queen, yes indeed, shrill and shrieking ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You are the drama queen, yes indeed, shrill and shrieking ...

Okay, I can't do a proper parody of Abba, but holy JEEZ ...

Cast of characters:
    Shrill and Squawky (mother? grandmother? Not sure)
    Had-It-Up-To-Here Hubby
    Unfortunate Youngsters (silent bystanders)
    Homicidal Cashier (guess who)

I was ringing one customer through today when I hear, from the family grouping behind my current customer:

SaS: "SHE CAN'T EAT THAT! WHY DID YOU PICK THAT UP?? SHE CAN'T EAT THAT!!" (at a decibel level that I'm sure could easily be heard at least four registers away)

SaS was waving a plastic container of potato salad as if it had a biohazard symbol on the cover.

HIUTH Hubby: "Okay, so we'll put it back."

SaS: "SHE CAN'T EAT THIS!! YABBAGABBLEARGLBLARGL ..."

I was concentrating on my current customer by this point so I didn't catch the entirety of the rest of her rant. I heard something about glucose (does potato salad have glucose in it??) and eggs but not the details.

HIUTH Hubby: "All right! I said we'll put it back!"

SaS: "YABBAGABBLEARGLBLARGLARGLESQUAWK!!!!"

HIUTH Hubby: "LOOK, I'M GETTING A HEADACHE!!" (small wonder) "We'll give it to her [motioning towards me] when we get up there!!"

They get up to the register and SaS hands me the deadly bioweapon, which I put aside. And I start ringing them through. They don't have a large order.

BUT THEN ...

Among their items were three sealed bags of lemons, each marked at 50% off. They were obviously from the "reduced" produce rack. Two packages held 4 lemons, the other held only 3. I go through the process of ringing them up at 50% off ...

SaS: "Wait a minute! How much do those lemons cost??"

Me: [pointing to monitor] "Well, you see they were $4 originally but [points to red text] they are now 50% so they're about $2 and change."

SaS: "FOUR DOLLARS! That's a dollar per lemon! That's way too much!"

Me: "Um, yes, but you're getting them at half price."

SaS: "No, no, four dollars is WAY TOO MUCH."

Me: "Yes, but you're getting them at half price ..."

Meanwhile a supervisor has come over to see WTF is going on. She goes to check the original price which is, indeed, $1 per lemon (except for these, which are at HALF PRICE, and have ginormous stickers on each bag saying so).

Meanwhile, SaS and HIUTH Hubby are arguing whether they NEED lemons.

Before the supervisor even gets back, SaS flicks the end of one of the bags and says, "Take them off; we don't want them."

Me: "Okay." By this point all I want is to get them the hell out of there.

I start the process of voiding them out. Although they are produce, thank whatever deities you choose that they are produce that is priced per item and not by weight (voiding out produce that is priced by weight is a fairly major PITA).

I manage to get two of the bags taken off and then supervisor, who has come back, comes over to make damn sure they are all gone (can't imagine why ) There's a bit of confusion because one of the bags only had 3 lemons in it, but supervisor finally says, "Okay, all done."

By this point the Unfortunate Youngsters (aged 10 and early teens, would be my guess) and HIUTH Hubby have long since gotten out of range.

SaS takes her receipt with my rather curt "Here'syourreceiptthankyou" and heads out the door as well.

I sincerely hope these people are visitors. If I ever again hear SaS's mellifluous tones in my lineup, I might opt to just cut and run. And Bastet help anybody who's in my way.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Why do older women have to be this way? (I"m an older woman, middle aged, whatever, btw) My mother was like this, and an ex sort of step mother in law was horribly this way. Bitch and whine and piss and moan and yell and scream about everything. Loud enough to embarrass anyone with them.

I'm not this way...I will never be this way. I just shut up and do my business and go about my life. Why can't everyone do that?
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Amen, TG, amen. I'm an old woman ( when did that happen?) and the idea of behaving like that just BAFFLES me . . .

Comment

"I was concentrating on my current customer by this point so I didn't catch the entirety of the rest of her rant. I heard something about glucose (does potato salad have glucose in it??)

Potatoes are a starch and starch turns to sugar during the disgestive process.

Comment

Quoth Dizazter View Post
          "I was concentrating on my current customer by this point so I didn't catch the entirety of the rest of her rant. I heard something about glucose (does potato salad have glucose in it??)

Potatoes are a starch and starch turns to sugar during the disgestive process.
          Which is completely true (well, it's "digestive"), but there's also often some form of extra sugar in it. Extra sugar and extra salt is in far more foods than you might expect. Just study ingredient lists some time.

Comment

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
            Why do older women have to be this way?
            In part, it's sampling bias. We can walk past 50 people who are minding their own business, and they will just barely impinge on our consciousness. But when we find a raging hose-beast trying to deafen all in the vicinity with her whining, that's memorable.

And part of it is probably due to those particular folks being miserable ****ing people leading miserable boring lives and deciding that since they are unhappy, everyone else needs to be unhappy as well.
            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Bias

Agree with this. Read an account of guy watching a cruise boat unload passengers - 1500-2000 people stream out to go on tour and buy local items. Then some loud mouth smoking a big cigar comes down and asks in a loud voice "Is there anything worthwhile on this island or should I just go back on the boat.".

The person reporting this said he could see all the dock workers looking at this loud person. So later when they go home, will they remember the 2000 tourists spending money into their local economy or will they remember this person?

Comment

Also, why women? I would think because if guys acted like this they'd get security or the cops called on them, but when a women does it, it's just annoying? My step brothers look so shady literally just standing and minding their own business, if one of them so much as raised his voice people would run away.

I can't think of any of my female relatives who are loud in the way described in the OP but some are very unbending. They will only eat certain things, only buy certain clothes, only go and do activities on THEIR schedule. If for some reason one of them ends up at (for example) a restaurant they don't like, she will refuse to order anything and sit silently pouting the whole time. These people are examples of how not to age.
                Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Plus, I have to wonder if, when it's women of a certain age, were they always like this, or did it change slowly, or suddenly? and if suddenly, what happened in the brain to do that. Was it a chemical thing?

My mother was that way as long as I knew her - so early 30s onward. It got worse, but she was always like that. Her mother wasn't, and I'm not, but mom was.

Comment

Quoth Dizazter View Post
                    From a quick read: Potatoes have a glycemic index almost as high as straight glucose (around 80 vs 100 for glucose; table sugar is 59) so, yeah, I would think of them as effectively having/changing into "high glucose."
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                    X