Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Sightings > Roadkill

Trying to become Road Pizza
Old 01-14-2019, 02:28 PM
Area Manager

Default Trying to become Road Pizza

This is a pedestrian issue, and almost literally roadkill.

It was around noon on Sunday, and I was heading to the theatre for the Superman double feature special they were doing. (Death of / Reign of animated movies showing).

I was downtown on the main street heading up the hill to the main shopping district, and my light was just turning green. On the far corner is a Tim Hortons, and I saw someone come out and I could tell exactly what he was going to do.

Without looking, without pausing a second, he walked out and crossed the street on the Don't Walk/Red light signal.

Luckily I was paying attention (as was the person coming the other way). The light had just changed but it was solid red for a few seconds by that point (in his direction). I laid on the horn, but he just kept looking ahead, acting oblivious to what he was doing.

Overall traffic was pretty light at least, and I'm not one to road rage much; but that was one case where I inched closer. Just because of that idiot's sheer audacity. You could tell as he was coming down the sidewalk he was going to cross the street without a pause, lights be damned.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:00 PM
Loanshark IT

It is time like this that I hate ABS. Nothing like the sound of tires skidding to make someone s***t their pants.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:12 PM
Heavy Metal Admin

Let me guess -- staring at his phone? I had someone do that to me right in front of my work. She had her face in her phone, and she blindly stepped out into the street and crossed without ever even looking up from her phone.
Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Old 01-14-2019, 11:22 PM
Escapee

For as much as bicyclists scare me on a daily basis, I don't see super close calls that often. Today I saw a guy nearly become road pizza. It wasn't anything special, just a guy on a bike going from the sidewalk to the crosswalk without looking to see if any cars were coming. One direction had a red, but the other way had green, just turning to yellow. Someone going through the yellow laid on the horn and slammed on the breaks as the guy on the bike goes right in front of him.

Bicyclist throws his hands up and spits, and looked like he was still going to go in front of the car! But the car was not having it, so the bicyclist was forced to stop. This sort of thing is why I bought my dash cam.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:30 PM
Area Manager

Quote:
Quoth MadMike View Post
Let me guess -- staring at his phone? I had someone do that to me right in front of my work. She had her face in her phone, and she blindly stepped out into the street and crossed without ever even looking up from her phone.
Surprisingly, I don't think he was staring at the phone. (and that area of downtown is prime PokeGO territory. I've been known to wander around there spinning stops and catching Pokemon. Though I specifically make sure I have my phone lowered as I cross the street with the walk signals).

He was determinedly looking forward and specifically NOT looking from side to side. I'm pretty sure he knew exactly what he was doing and being an asshole and not acknowledging anyone.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:01 PM
The Hero CS Deserves

...So, basically the original meaning of the term "jaywalker" -- "jay" is a (now-outdated) pejorative that refers unkindly to idiots/hayseeds/rednecks, etc. It is of note that the car industry and/or its supporters were the ones that brought about such laws -- to keep those stupid pedestrians off of the streets (that had once belonged TO the pedestrians...), as a way to blame them for all of the fatal traffic accidents. I mean, what are drivers supposed to do, YIELD to a mere human? Pff! For shame
"Customers are like van gogh. They intentionally remove their ears when it suits them." TheDangOofMan, Reddit
"Logic: sometimes it's not a thing." - Food Lady

Old 01-15-2019, 08:23 PM
Heavy Metal Admin

Quote:
Quoth Jetfire View Post
I'm pretty sure he knew exactly what he was doing and being an asshole and not acknowledging anyone.
Oh, OK. I've seen this type before too -- "I'm the pedestrian and I'm going to walk about in front of you and you have to stop!" While technically that's correct, the laws of humans don't override the laws of physics. As the title said, road pizza.
Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Old 01-18-2019, 04:45 PM
Cashier

Quote:
Quoth MadMike View Post
Oh, OK. I've seen this type before too -- "I'm the pedestrian and I'm going to walk about in front of you and you have to stop!" While technically that's correct, the laws of humans don't override the laws of physics. As the title said, road pizza.
Sadly, they can choose their legal rights or their life.. There's a main crossing point by a mall near me, where this is rife. One small happiness in my frequent trips there are the days I hit the lights just right, sailing through an empty lane just as the lights turn green.

One such day, a bloke to whom the red man on the crossing does not apply, got a nasty shock. He hadn't made it half way across the lights when I sailed past his nose, causing him to stop, as it was that or walk into the side of my car. He was invisible to me thanks to the truck in the other lane, I only saw him when it was too late for me to stop, even at 20mph. Hopefully he was reminded that physics and mortality apply.

Old 03-02-2019, 12:12 AM
Warning: He thinks he's funny.

Just had a good one earlier this week. I was getting onto a very large freeway (101 south) from a large surface street, and was accelerating up to freeway speed so I could merge in safely. In doing so, I passed a large sign (they are on basically every on-ramp in the state!) that says "NO PEDESTRIANS/NO BICYCLES/NO MOPEDS" and such.

I come around the bend of the on-ramp, and see a GUY ON A BICYCLE who was riding on the shoulder of the freeway, and was tootling across the on-ramp so he could continue on his merry way. At a nice leisurely pace, probably 10 MPH. Which left me at least 40 MPH closing speed, probably more because of the angles. Happily, my brakes work quite well and I was left with nothing more problematic than an elevated heart rate and a whole lot of swearing on my part.

He never even turned his head.

Old 03-02-2019, 09:10 AM
Front End Supervisor

I hate the ones who never even look. If they're going to put wear on my tyres and adrenaline in my bloodstream, they should at least get a little bit of panic to pay for my stress!